robbier32

Schimmel or not schimmel???

Hi Guys and Gals, I have recently stripped and re build a recon vege unit that I puschased.

I was told that the cams where schimmel, My question is are there tell tail signs to prove they are or are not?

As I have never seen a set of standard cams I have no comparison.

Here are some pics!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76746[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76747[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76748[/ATTACH]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Those look like standard cams to me mate. I'm led to believe the SP cams are stamped on the end where the pulley attaches, so a bit of a pita to check. Either way, I don't think they'd have a VAG stamp on them if they were aftermarket.

I could be wrong but i don't remember seeing a VW/Audi logo on my 263s…

Im sure others will know better than me though...

I'd say its unlikely Schimmel cams would be stamped with VW/Audi logos. May be worth calling Stealth and asking?

Don't look like schimmel to me. I always seem to notice a gold/brown band on them (like a paint on them)

Also have SP stamped on them and just look a bit different to look at.

I'd be taking it up with the seller and asking for a bit of discount!

Schimmel cams have a bigger hex section for the spanner too, IIRC.

Thank you for all your comments guys, I have since checked the original for sale add on this forum and it is advertised as having schimmel cams. The issue I have is that 8vmatt purchased the engine about 2 years never got round to fitting it, then I got my hands on the engine along with the car about a year ago. Its only recently that I have started preparing the engine to be fitted. I will have a chat with Matt see what he wants to do.

Thanks again!

I dont know where you stand on this bud , but hope it sorts out for you . Somethings a miss as we discussed last time .

Im still dont know what I expect from this. But what i do know is until Robrado and I took the engine out of my lockup and I stripped it with my own hands no one had touched it so either the seller has payed someone for the cams to fitted and they havnt or the advert is false. Spose I just want to know which it is! There has been talk of "name and shame" already but Im gonna give him a chance to respond to a message first.

I sent this message to his Facebook account on Friday 3rd jan as he hasnt shown any activity on the forum for 6 months.

Hey , Dont think you would remember me but im Rob, I came to yours with Matt (8vMatt on Corrado.net) when he purchased the VR6 Vege engine from your corrado.

The engine sat in my lockup for a year then I purchased it from Matt along with the car in May last year. In November I replaced the rocker cover gasket along with other bits ready to fit.

To my surprise the engine was no fitted with SP263s as advertised.

While I understand that is was a long time ago and there were no receipts etc. I thought I ought to let you know. I am interested to know your thoughts.

P.s. sorry for the FB message but you were showing no activity on the forum for 6 months.

Kind regards

Rob

See What happens!

It's already been said, but this is what genuine SP cams look like. The timing should be hand-engraved on the non-gear end of each camshaft, and they are hand-balanced by grinding away material between the cam lobes. See also the brown band previously mentioned...

SP263_1.jpg

SP263_2.jpg

Stone

O.k. Well I dont like to be a grass (cos no one likes a grass)but here is the add that states that it has cams fitted. Also upon further inspection there are no signs of any port and polishing of having been done. as Ive said before not sure what I want to achieve I just feel a bit mis lead as to what was being purchased. I know how much people get slated on various sites for mis sdvertising or just plain telling porky pies!

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=62585

I probably wouldnt mind so much if they admit it but Ive had no reply and there has been activity on their Facebook so must have seen my message by now.

I want to say steer clear of this seller but he did seem pretty genuine when we picked up the engine.

Anyways let me know what you think.

I'm quite supposed by all this as I bought and sold a couple parts from this chap and he seemed sound. Really loved his VR, ran nitrous at one point or was going to run nitrous if I recall correctly so I wouldn't have doubted that the cams had been fitted as he had a host of other performance parts. He only got shot as he was looking to go 16V turbo I think.

They were installed in his DBP VR.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Cheers Abdul, Yer He was saying at the time only reason for the sale was because he was goin to 1.8t it. We literally lifted the engine straight out of the car into The boot of Matts Passat!

What an arse, unless he has been had over and didn't know.

I'd be pretty annoyed as £800 is a lot of money.

This is what I said to rob , when he told me what he discovered . As Rob says though he is avoiding any contact , so he can't find out exactly what was done in the build , as we have said for all he knows they could have said they put the cams in and didn't . Somehow I doubt this though .

Edited by robrado974