Jim

Speedo Binnacle Covers - Group Buy Feeler - P12 - Prototypes fitted, all OK!

Hi Rog - phone signal is a real problem where I live and I have to basically go out my house and up the road to have a phone conversation (some sort of weird blackspot as it's high signal everywhere else around me) so I tend to stick to email at the moment. I'll PM you both my email and phone number though, and we can go from there!

As said, no rush, slow burn is fine! Jim - thanks for your continued efforts on this, and the sprinter - good luck with the house buying! And thanks to Roger for offering to pick this up. :thumbleft:

Have a progress update :) They've produced a prototype pair. I'm in the process of seeing about getting them sent to me so I can trial fit them.

They're produced in a white ABS plastic, but have a black top - so there should be no white visible. I'm not sure if the black top is black plastic or if it's painted. I'm going to check out the prototype parts as and when I get them and will report back on my feelings about them.

So just to confirm this group buy is not dead and is trickling along!

Cheers.

Thanks for the update Jim, it takes as long as it takes, just glad I might be able to cover the R/H screw eventually.

Mick

I received the prototype binnacle covers yesterday. I will try and get some pictures up tonight to get a verdict from folks! Initial impressions are reasonably positive. As you'd expect size wise they are a perfect copy as they are a 3D scanned copy. Clips and everything look good so should be a perfect fit.

The minor downsides I guess are that they're printed in a white plastic and then painted black on top. The coverage isn't totally perfect but I think once they're fitted you'd struggle to see any white plastic anywhere, and for those that were not totally happy a quick coat of a gloss black plastikote or similar would do the job. The texture on the top isn't exactly the same, but again, given the size of the pieces and their location, I'd be surprised if anyone noticed.

I'm building myself up to prising off my current speedo binnacle covers (because I'm worried they'll break!) and test fitting these to see how they look over the weekend, and subject to feedback on the pictures, will be looking to put an order in with the company soon. Prices look to be as I estimated - about £10/pair delivered.

Further updates as I have them!

• Like 1

Jim you are a super star!

Thank you for persisting with this, im sure like most on here i cant wait to see your trial fit pics :)

Looking forward to seeing these .you will be ok removing the oem ones , screwdriver and a lump hammer should do it ! Lol

Very unflattering pictures here.. terrible lighting, etc etc but will hopefully give you some idea. I keep reminding myself that these are very small pieces of trim and they don't honestly need to be PERFECT replicas so long as they fit correctly!

Top ones are the originals obviously..

photo1.jpg

photo5.jpg

Essentially, subject to a proper fit, I'd be happy to order these. I'll see about PM'ing everyone who expressed an interest as I'll have to take money up front (can't really afford to fork out the £400 in advance to cover the cost of the order!).

Cheers.

Any pics fitted Jim ?

Only kidding,!

If your happy with them,I'll have a set

Will get them on the car at the weekend mate and sort out some pictures then :)

Pleased to have got your original ones returned to me as well mate.. was scared they'd get lost or something!

Pleased to have got your original ones returned to me as well mate.. was scared they'd get lost or something!

jim if there is any spare or peeps opt out I will have a set please....

jim if there is any spare or peeps opt out I will have a set please....

To be honest they're priced per pair so I don't *need* to limit the GB to 50 pairs, so will probably end up ordering more :)