Jamie

Mirror glass - convex or not?

Right I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but if you were ordering new mirror glass, would you usually have convex glass on the drivers side, passenger side or both? I'm only asking as mine need replacing but they both seem to be flat...

If it were possible, I'd have convex on both, but definitely on the drivers side. Driving modern cars makes you realise the weaknesses of Corrado mirrors.

It is still available from classic part's but it's around the £70 mark :suprised::shocked!:

Ebay is where I got mine. I'll dig out the link and leg you know. Make sure you get the heated ones too.

Convex glass on my drivers side now (eBay special) and I've never looked back... errrr........

How easy/difficult was it to fit David?

Ian.

Heated convex on both sides for me from ebay. I'll see if I can find the item. Easy to do, although I used my existing carriers by removing the old glass. The old flat mirrors were crap imvho.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRIVER-RIGHT-OFF-SIDE-CONVEX-HEATED-BP-WING-MIRROR-GLASS-FOR-VW-CORRADO-88-95-/370843399314?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item5657fd3492

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PASSENGER-LEFT-NEAR-SIDE-CONVEX-HEATED-P-WING-MIRROR-GLASS-FOR-VW-CORRADO-88-95-/370843398901?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item5657fd32f5

From that seller. They also do flat and non-heated and blue tinted ones too.

Edited by timmaaah

Heated convex on both sides for me from ebay. I'll see if I can find the item. Easy to do, although I used my existing carriers by removing the old glass. The old flat mirrors were crap imvho.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRIVER-RIGHT-OFF-SIDE-CONVEX-HEATED-BP-WING-MIRROR-GLASS-FOR-VW-CORRADO-88-95-/370843399314?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item5657fd3492

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PASSENGER-LEFT-NEAR-SIDE-CONVEX-HEATED-P-WING-MIRROR-GLASS-FOR-VW-CORRADO-88-95-/370843398901?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item5657fd32f5

From that seller. They also do flat and non-heated and blue tinted ones too.

yes these ones.

Did anyone go for the blue tinted ones?

Do they reduce glare much?

\Paddy

Yep,I've hot the DDi ones I converted to heated,really cut down the glare,

A really worthwhile mod

How easy/difficult was it to fit David?

Ian.

The only real issue is removing an old vw glass from it's backing to reuse the backing on the pattern glass, lots of patience and preferably a bit of heat as they are well glued and if you go at it too fast you can break the plastic, once off you also need to offer up the new glass as a small amount of plastic may need cutting out for the heater contacts.

no idea if the backings sold with the ones on ebay above are any good instead.

Edited by davidwort

Just placed my order and got a special "Buy One Get One Half Price" offer when I checked out. So a pair of blue heated convex mirrors for £17.98 delivered - result! :)

Interested to hear how you get on with these Jamie. Are they a complete unit, i.e. with backing plate or just the glass..

Just placed my order and got a special "Buy One Get One Half Price" offer when I checked out. So a pair of blue heated convex mirrors for £17.98 delivered - result! :)

Same. You made me triple check my order though because my total came to £16.48. I guess you ordered them with the backing plates.

Thanks everyone for the links.

\Paddy

Mine arrived today and they do look decent enough quality. I did order the plastic backing but opted to use the original ones. Had to cut new slots for the heating element terminals and the glass is a very slightly different shape on one corner but you'd never notice unless it was pointed out and other than that the fit is excellent. One thing I did do was use a small piece of double sided tape on the second one I did, as the adhesive backing didn't quite reach the edge of the plastic mounting. All in all though I'm very happy especially for £8.50 a side delivered :)

Mine were a bit flat along the top edge, genuine glass being more curved, only a mm out but initially noticeable, what's yours like?

If you look at the bottom right hand corner David, the glass has a slightly different radius to the backing. Funnily enough it looks a lot worse in the picture and it's not actually that bad in reality. I can live with it anyway and it's a vast improvement on what was there before.

219595E3-F752-4816-8B65-8CB589A0C3E3.jpg