Roger Chatfield

Replacement engine... 2.8??

My Storm is making some rather horrible noises and is probably on its last legs, looks like the bottom end has gone and if my new 'thicker' oil doesn't solve the problem it looks like its new engine time.

So, a local bloke has a spare VR6 gathering dust in his garage, it's from a Mk3 Golf but he claims its a 2.9, now I'm pretty sure its a 2.8 as I'm lead to believe all Golfs were 2.8

So, will the 2.8 fit my car, ie. can I simply replace like for like, will it mate to my gearbox ect?

Rog.

All Golfs were 2.8 either OBD1 or 2.. The block is the same though and will go straight into your car, no issues with gearbox etc..

All Golfs were 2.8 either OBD1 or 2.. The block is the same though and will go straight into your car, no issues with gearbox etc..

The mk3 Golf synchro was 2.9l. Very few sold though so not well known.

The mk3 Golf synchro was 2.9l. Very few sold though so not well known.

LHD only though weren't they?

Think it should be fine Rog. If it is a genuine 2.9 then no reason why not, but even the 2.8 with your original cams and inlet manifold will see you around the same power as is I believe mate.

I believe so yeah, although I cant say Ive ever seen one tbh.

Back in the day when everyone and their dogs were importing LHD rallyes and Golf G60s a few VR6 syncros arrived too, they needed the extra power to drag all the extra (X 2 with the MK3) weight around

Sorry to hear of your woes mate , are any of the short blocks on ebay any good ? One sold for £409 , think he has two more . All the best mate

Rob

Cheers for the link Rob but I've managed to get this 2.8 for a really good price, the bloke has loads of other spares that he is throwing in and he is delivering so I think it's a good deal.

Current plan is to try the new 'thicker' fully synth oil in the 2.9, if that work then all is good but I just happen to have a complete 2.8 sat in the garage incase of future problems.

If the new oil doesn't work then the 2.8 will be dropped in and the 2.9 will be rebuilt in slow time (as funds allow) this will then go back in the Storm to keep it all OE.

Rog.

Nice to see your sorted , any plans and times for fitting ? Just wait to see if the new oil works I spose . Hoping to order my bits this week then it's mot n tax time , then I will be unleashing the Beasty ! . Let me know if you need a hand mate .

Rob