Sign in to follow this  
DaveStorm

VR6 strange noise?

Clocked up a few miles this weekend and have noticed a strange sound coming from somewhere near the front of the car I *think*, had the window and sunroof wide open so heard it quite clearly. It started like a rotating metallic squealing sound at low speed and would then disappear as I went faster. Now after travelling 400 odd miles it is quite audible at 60+mph and is even louder at low speed. Strange thing is, it only happens when travelling in a straight line. Turning left or right round corners it stops. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

could be a buckled brake disk protector (the heat shield that is behind the disk) may be just touching your disk and making the noise...

Have you checked the state of your pads? they could be worn down to almost nothing which would make a similar noise to that which you describe... :|

It may also be the vibration damper on the driver's side driveshaft... these have a habit of splitting and then floating around on the driveshaft... mine did this and was knocking on the heat shield which is supposed to cover it making a similar noise...

Thanks guys, It's due a service next month so I'll point my friendly mechanic in the direction of your ideas whilst it's on the ramps, see if he can cure it. Cheers :)

I have the same type of noise from my '93 VR, horrible squeeling noise in a staight line, sometimes dissappears under acceleration and braking and completely dissappears in corners....

In my car it's the heater blower motor (I think), as it only does it with blower switch turned on... I need to dismantle the mechanism sometime to investigate further.

Worth checking if it is the same on yours.

Yep Reggit yours sounds like the same symptoms as mine but i know it's not the heater blower motor, that part hasn't worn out just yet! :)

Also ruled out the brake pads as I used the engine to slow the car down a few times and the noise was continuing.

If the blower moteor is squealing, remove the passeger-side under-dash tray, disconnect the power lead to the fan motor then just rotate the whole fan to remove it from its bayonet-fitting into the ducting.

It is then possible to lube the bottom bearing by removing the centre cap and squirting a lubricant on the bearing.