j_s14a

Demand for exterior trim parts

I've got a set but like has been said before I think these would be very hard to replicate and as you say yourself Jason there aren't many about which is why I would be reluctant to have mine used. Mine will only be on my car for show's I have another couple of used set's I will use at other times.

Good job I'm not in it to be a show pony then.

Neither am I Sean, I use my VR everyday, but the facts are the facts, so don't shoot the messenger.

I have another new set which I'm keeping for myself. I'd be happy to let them be copied, but as I've said before, they're a 4 piece construction and not easy (if not impossible) to replicate

Even if they could what would the price be like I bet they wouldn't be cheap

Has anyone contacted classic parts in Germany? Wonder if we guaranteed a certain number of orders whether they would commission an order?

Has anyone contacted classic parts in Germany? Wonder if we guaranteed a certain number of orders whether they would commission an order?

That's the most sensible thing I read on this thread.

IUOTE=DriverVR6;1032743]Neither am I Sean, I use my VR everyday, but the facts are the facts, so don't shoot the messenger.

I have another new set which I'm keeping for myself. I'd be happy to let them be copied, but as I've said before, they're a 4 piece construction and not easy (if not impossible) to replicate

Not shooting anyone down mate, yours seemed to be a very reasonable price in comparison. Obviously people are willing to pay a hell of a lot more! The set on ebay were at £245 with ten minutes to go. I just couldn't justify that amount. That said I've got a mortgage, and married with two young children. If those want to spend that amount of money if they have next to nothing outgoing, more fool them. Like I said though, unless your after trophies at concourse, I'd just get a good used set and make them look their best.

What i'm looking to do is to make some which are as close as possible to the originals. With some cars selling for £1500, sometimes less, it seems a bit surprising that people will spend £300 for strips of plastic. Each to their own, however, its not for me to judge.

The outer window strips are actually going to be quite difficult because they will require a specific mould to be made up. Again, i'm looking at simpler lower cost alternatives to be made.

What i'm looking to do is to make some which are as close as possible to the originals. With some cars selling for £1500, sometimes less, it seems a bit surprising that people will spend £300 for strips of plastic. Each to their own, however, its not for me to judge.

The outer window strips are actually going to be quite difficult because they will require a specific mould to be made up. Again, i'm looking at simpler lower cost alternatives to be made.

That's fair enough. The only advice/thing I will say is that you won't get anywhere near the originals as they are not simply a moulded plastic.

What you may be able to do is have a one piece moulding manufactured. It will look okay if a manufacturer can do it for you and it may be reasonably cheap and cost effective.

Edited by DriverVR6

They are available from Volkswagen Classic Parts.. or at least they were very recently.. and were not stupid money.

Roof trims !!!!

I can help in any sort of English-Polish translation if needed

£300 for a couple of strip's of plastic as you put it is not alot of money when you are trying to win concourse competition's. It's like why would someone spend £2500 on a set of wheel's if that's what they want to spend their money on what's the issue?? It's no wonder the prices of them are down as low as they are with people like you putting them down I thought you were an enthusiast? :shrug: There are show car's out there that have had £75k pumped into them is a Corrado not worthy of the best?? Get a grip mate!!

I said the same thing James, and I agree with Hasan, he did comment with "who am I to judge". I just can't get my head round that price for plastic trims, nor can I get my head round people spending that much on wheels tbf. Like you say though, each to their own. If some can afford it then fair play. :shrug:

I said the same thing James, and I agree with Hasan, he did comment with "who am I to judge". I just can't get my head round that price for plastic trims, nor can I get my head round people spending that much on wheels tbf. Like you say though, each to their own. If some can afford it then fair play. :shrug:

That's all I was trying to say mate FLA I wasn't having a go at you and apologise if it came across like that. It's not just the fact they are plastic trim's it's the fact there are so few new set's knocking about which is I believe driving the prices up. I don't like spending so much on bit's for my car but am willing to if I have to but that's just me.

Edited by clumpy1

Thing is I often flit between thinking 'money no object - Corrado gets what Corrado needs' but then there are times when I see these sorts of prices and think "Wait a minute.." - sometimes you do just have to draw the line, and I'm onboard with any efforts to reproduce parts which rarity has caused their value on places like eBay to go sky high! My car is not just a car - it is a hobby, and it's been the gateway to years of happy memories and I've made some great friends through it.. but sometimes you have to apply a sense of perspective.

But similarly if you have the money to spend, then kudos - spend and enjoy :)

I totally agree where your coming from Jim as you use your car as a daily if I was using mine as a daily it would get nowhere near the pampering it does :D

Fair enough mate, your passion is commendable! I suppose I'd love to be able to afford these types of things, but can't. I'm lucky in that a nice work bonus has give me enough for a few comforts, including the respray which the missus put into perspective when she gave the green light by saying "go for it, it's unlikely you'll have the money again for something like that" :rolleyes:

Apologies if I've offended anyone too who does make these kind of purchases, probably just me being a tight arsed git!

No offence taken here matey.I am fortunate in I own my own place and have no kid's but all that has come at a cost if I could have it the other way I would without a second thought ;)

I totally agree where your coming from Jim as you use your car as a daily if I was using mine as a daily it would get nowhere near the pampering it does :D

Have to say whilst it's my only car (well not strictly true.. but will be again very soon) it doesn't get used all that often because I now live very close to work and walk / cycle every day. Which is really helping slow the ageing process on the old girl :)

For those of us who aren't bothered about it looking OEM, but want something presentable for a lot less, I wonder if this may be any good for the roof strips?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-SERIES-2-3-TRUCK-CAB-TO-BODY-RUBBER-SEAL-333486-/370625727102?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item564b03ca7e

Use that for the main strip, and reuse the old end caps?

I believe that I have 2 or 3 main strips and a couple end caps around some place that I have no intention of using. Prefer the car without them on. If someone is looking for some, pm me and we can discuss. Believe they are originals.

Sorry all. Long story short, my mother throw them all out as they were "just useless bits of plastic". But she kept all the " valuable metal parts". Need to get out of an apartment with no storage and into a house asap before she throws away any more of my "useless" stuff. Sorry again.