Mawrick

Did VW actually loose money on the Corrado or ?

Regarding VW's earnings I'v read quire a few different things when it comes to the Corrado - some stating VW did loose money on the Corrado - other stating the Corrado was never set up to give VW a big profit - more to be a "show off" car, and so a successfull car, but non the less it eventually where cut off - but is there any info if it was due to losses, or just that VW changed their focus ?.

Its release coincided with record high at the time fuel prices, and that buzz word again, recession!

That coupled with the fact it was very expensive for the time, meant it was destined to fail tbh. I'm sure they wanted to sell far more, but realised after the 6-7 years it was on sale that it was due a facelift/upgrade so it just wasn't financially viable unfortunately. I don't think they'd release a new one like they've done with the Scirrocco either. The Rocco was more widely known, and covers the coupe market for VW. I think the only avenue VW have not explored yet, is something to compete against Audi R8, ie the affordable supercar market. The fact that Audi are obviously part of VW though, means thats pretty unlikely.

Yea, agree on this - I guess in the end VW is a different company today, where maybe the Corrado doesn't fit the lineup - though they put out the Scirocco, but today they have Audi, Lambo etc....so - and not sure I really want to see "modern" car with the Corrado badge anyway....lol...:)

The vw corrado..... the ******* child vag try not to talk about!

£ for £ it had some stiff competition too! I guess it still does.

I'd heard back in the day it was the fitting of the VR6 engine into the golf that killed the Corrado. Was the golf much cheaper for the same performance but with 5doors and a big boot.

^^ Totally agree, and also the image of front wheel drive back then was ok for a hatch but not great for a sports car costing what it did, no matter how well it cornered. Still, it has fared a lot better than the Ford Probe,Calibra, and E36 M3