Mawrick

230HP GTI vs Corrado VR6 performance?

Anyone know how these two compared in performance ?.

Will the corrado "cope" with it or ? (or close?) :) hehe

Would think the gti will get away, not by much though.

Thought so too - but saw figures of about 6.6 sec on 0-100 km/h isn't that roughly in the ballpark of the VR6 ?

VR6 is 6.9 secs. If it's a traffic light burn out then the skill/reaction of the driver will probably make all the difference in this match up:)

Think a modern GTI will walk away to be honest. Torque will be the killer. And despite what everything thinks about the Corrado being quite light, the MK7 GTI is actually pretty close so the Corrado doesn't exactly have a weight advantage.

Having had a mk6 gti as my company car a few years ago I can safely say it'd walk a standard vr6 in most situations.... But as Jim said it the spread of torque from the turbo that makes it so quick. The VR is more lazy speed.

I'd say that our mk5 gt tdi 170 would give the average corrado driver a tough time over a cross country dash. Not that I prefer the golf, it just shows technology progression over 15 years between the car's.

I think the results would be very surprising and would favour the corrado in just straight line speed. A corrado trying to keep up with modern suspension technology is a different matter.

One thing technology cannot improve is power to weight and while the the corrado vr6 may not have a particularly high power to weight figure out on the road a properly driven vr6 is still a quick car.

For example I drove down to collect a standard L reg vr6 a while back with a friend in my 330d which has roughly 230bhp and 370bft of tourque and we had some fun on the way home. I honestly thought the bmw would be quicker and on rolling start from 70-100 the little old vr6 edged the bmw not by much but I was very surprised.

Drive a corrado vr6 like you should and the new golf will have a shock, guarenteed!!:-)

Edited by maff

Just to throw it in there,

a 24v converted corrado is a different story, only 10 or so more ponies but loads more low down tourqe

I love this site http://www.zeperfs.com/en/match680-4563-2126.htm here we have real data for 3 cars, a standard corrado, a 230 bhp golf and a 3.2 Auidi TT,

I included TT as it represents the performance of a 2.8 24v converted corrado, it has more power (250ps compared to 204ps) but it's power to weight is the same (TT 150 ps/ton, 24v corrado 151 ps/ton) although the 24v corrado wont be as quick off the line due to the TT's 4wd, it's the nearest I could get.

I'm off to do some more "virtual" racing

Edited by J.C

My old Octavia vRS was mapped to around 220bhp and was faster in a straight line than ANY of my Corrado's. My Storm was approx 215bhp. Corrado would have won around the twisties as the Octy had completely standard suspension, which was mostly set up for comfort :lol: my current S3 is a completely different story however...

The VR is a quick car, and a lot depend on the driver. I do think a lot of people have rose tinted specs though- I've been guilty of this in the past.

I dont think they Are massively compareble to be honest

Age ,weight, power , type of engine nasp vs turbo theres a lot of factors that seperate them apart

As cazzer says not all but some see through rose tinted specs , not saying that it isnt decently quick but a 2.9 v6 lump that only knocks out 194 bhp standard isnt amazing and most modern cars would match that or would be able to with a quick map at any local chavvy tuner place

What i would say wich is the biggest and most important factor is and .... Its not how someone can ( DO YOU ) of the lights not saying that thats not fun as im sure most are guilty of that but how its driven on a decent road , not a dual carrigeway on your local bypass but a decent a /b road !

Im no senna but iv manage to catch things that are way out my league and or managed to stay with them or take them down on a good back road

Not all but most things come down to the driver imho , like the lady who tests at the ring who beat most things on there in a tranny van , exellent driving

Besides all that regarding 230 horse power i assumed you meant around the mk4 base wich is the runt of the litter if you ask me , corrado beats it hands down in looks and sound and at least the corrado has soul

I have both a Corrado VR6 and a mk6 Golf GTI with 211bhp. The GTI is much quicker because of the torque. They are different cars though. The Corrado has much more character and is far more fun to drive.

I have both a Corrado VR6 and a mk6 Golf GTI with 211bhp. The GTI is much quicker because of the torque. They are different cars though. The Corrado has much more character and is far more fun to drive.

I thought my 330d with 500nm/370lbft would be quicker than the corrado until they were side by side. Any n/a aspirated car feels slower than a turbo motor in my experience, and I've had a few very quick turbo motors.

Your mk6 211bhp golf weighing 1365kg will really be no quicker than a 1240kg vr6 surely? You just have to drive the living daylights out of the vr6 to stay with any modern turbo diesel/petrol car these days.

Bottom line is a 230bhp lardy new age golf is no quicker than a old vr6 in my opinion, and how many post have people read about the r32 not getting away from a vr corrado?

not only R32's, I had a play with a new Golf R let's just say I only knew it was an R when we both slowed down to a stop at a rounabout,not saying I was as quick but I think he was suprised

I thought my 330d with 500nm/370lbft would be quicker than the corrado until they were side by side. Any n/a aspirated car feels slower than a turbo motor in my experience, and I've had a few very quick turbo motors.

Your mk6 211bhp golf weighing 1365kg will really be no quicker than a 1240kg vr6 surely? You just have to drive the living daylights out of the vr6 to stay with any modern turbo diesel/petrol car these days.

Bottom line is a 230bhp lardy new age golf is no quicker than a old vr6 in my opinion, and how many post have people read about the r32 not getting away from a vr corrado?

One of the reasons CrazyDave turbo'd his VR was because his mate's remapped mk1 Octavia 1.8T (not even a vRS) beat him on a drag strip...

One of the reasons CrazyDave turbo'd his VR was because his mate's remapped mk1 Octavia 1.8T (not even a vRS) beat him on a drag strip...

Same engine the 1.8t and early vrs isn't it, and mapped? quarter miles are not the corrado's strong poin and so many driver variables, never seen one do very well, i've had enough of them and been up against enough different cars to know how well they go once on the roll.

I don't agree with a 1360kg 230bhp golf being any quicker than the old lighter vr rado.

1.8t non VRs is 150bhp using the k03 turbo, 1.8t VRs is 180bhp and uses the k03s.

On the drag strip (runway) at Bruntingthorpe the other week, ChrisL's mate in his boggo 2.0 Mk1 Focus was closer to me than I'd have thought possible. I'd revved to 3.5k rpm at take off and had a pretty clean get away, and shifted just after the redline in every gear. I had the missus in the car with me admittedly, but he was only a car length or two behind me until about 90-100 where I left him a bit. Its surprising how much easier power comes to newer cars. I'd imagine a VR6 would get its arse handed to it on a plate by a mk6 GTI personally.

And you have to be careful against diesels too... a year or two ago I gave my car a bootful to get past a guy in a normal looking Mondeo TDCI and it was a real effort to even get a car length ahead of him without getting into silly speeds! :(

1.8t non VRs is 150bhp using the k03 turbo, 1.8t VRs is 180bhp and k03s turbo

Beat me to it:p