Rpmayne

Sunroof - Need to swap for something that works - Compatible alternatives?

Hi, been trawling through the sunroof threads, tried to look for a 2nd hand Corrado one (although the general consensus seems to be they are complete crap and will fail again) with no joy, phoned VW for the repair kits and they are unavailable, and even asked VW for a new complete cassette, again unavailable.

So basically repairing it (mine just clicks, has dropped on one side letting water in) seems difficult parts wise and ultimately pointless given the useless design, and I can't source a 2nd hand one (again ultimately pointless).

Onto solutions; Weld it up (a suggestion on here I am seriously considering except I don't have air-con) or swap out for an alternative that works.

Is there a sunroof mechanism from another car that is fit for purpose and that will directly fit and keep the metal roof? (Passat moonroof gets a mention, can the glass be swapped for the metal lid?) If so cars and ages that will work please.

If keeping the metal roof is not possible, glass alternates?

Sorry if this has been covered, the car is off the road because of the roof leaking (after spending £1500 on partial respray) and just want a solution that works. I haven't been on this forum for years and didn't realise new part are getting so difficult to source (stealer and 2nd hand).

Hopefully if someone can help then others will be able to find this easily and sort theirs as well.

Cheers all.

As has been mentioned many times on here, the easiest and probably cheapest option is to get a complete mechanism from a Mk3 Golf and then just swap the glass panel for your metal one.

Ian.

Passat B3 AND B4 work well. B3 Has a regular shade B4 has a vent shade. B3 OR B4 will be stamped on glass as well.

I would replace the entire mechanism. Its not hard to do. You literally slide the entire unit in. Extra set of hands would be helpfull just to hold it as you bolt it up. Originally I was not a big fan of putting a glass roof in my car. Once I had It I loved it!

Edited by ajhvw93

Thanks for that, are these roofs a different mechanism to the Corrado one then? And connection wise do they connect direct to the late Corrado connector?

Sorry if this is well known, just if this is the answer spot on.

When my sunroof mech went I struggled to find somewhere but I found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Corrado-2-9-Hatchback-VR6-Storm-breaking-breaking-/220917365026?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item336fb37922

Hes got tons of corrados which hes breaking (may be on the forum.. not sure?), you may have already tried this but it could be worth giving him a ring if not as I got a whole cassette off of him with panel fully working tilt and slide and has had no issues what so ever since I put it in.. apart from the motor not working but thats a different story haha

Sorry to hijack this, I have now bought a B4 estate sunroof complete unit to put into my Corrado (I may or may not use the glass panel). Can someone direct me to a write-up on removal/refitting the whole shooting-match?.

Thanks

RB

Hi Roger,

Here you go. Try to ignore his horrible carbon fibre control cover!

Let me know how you get on - was planning to do this to mine this month but my brake pipes have rusted through so it's on hold :( Shout if you need a hand fitting it!

Nick

Thanks Nick,

I am hoping to collect the Passat roof this week but I won't have time to fit it for a while.

Grateful for the offer of help, I'll call you soon, and assist you with yours when the time comes.

RB

Hi Roger,

Here you go. Try to ignore his horrible carbon fibre control cover!

Let me know how you get on - was planning to do this to mine this month but my brake pipes have rusted through so it's on hold :( Shout if you need a hand fitting it!

Nick

Thanks stonejag that link is excellent!!

Ive got to get this done, hate having any part of a car that doesnt work but especially sunroofs, I prefer the idea of the glass replacement, much lighter inside.

I've just bought a mk3 cassette and I'll stick with the original metal panel for now. The diy write up is awesome, can't wait to give it a go!

I too am thinking about a new sunroof, I repaired mine a few weeks back (mk3 motor) and was chuffed to bits with it but I've just noticed a big scratch down the panel were it has opened and caught something.

I saw Ian's (the Ox) car at national day and noticed how OE the Passat glass roof looks.

I've got a black interior with a grey roof lining, can you get the Passat roof with the same colour shade as the Raddo grey.

Also has anyone got any pics with a glass roof fitted, with the shade closed would be great.

Cheers Rog.

My B4 has a light grey roof lining, (not for sale though, sorry!!), so the answer is "yes, probably". Certainly the light beige Passat interior exactly matched that of the Corrado, so I would think that the shades of grey will do too.

How is it that VW made such a mistake with the Corrado sunroof ? in my 20 years of B4 Passat ownership it has never malfunctioned, but the Corrado has been a pain in the back-bumper.

Looking forward a brighter outlook.

RB

Everything that fits suffers from the same problems (caused by a lack of lubrication). Look for a roof that's as late a possible, with no signs of wear on the rails (particularly the passenger side) and budget for cable and "water guide plate". Then thoroughly clean and lube before installation.

I've sourced a mk3 Golf unit and I'm planning to replace the glass with my metal, original one. I've ordered a new seal and I get back to the UK tomorrow so I'll be picking her up from the paintshop. Anyone in Swansea fancy giving me a hand with the swap.? Food and beverages provided?

I've mentioned on other threads that having fitted my Mk3 cassette and swapping it's glass roof for my metal one I couldn't get a piece to fit, left it off and later discovered that it was the rear rain channel (discovered by turning my wife's Corrado into a giant goldfish bowl). If I now get a Passat B4 glass roof panel does anyone know if I can get the rear channel in without removing the whole thing again?

to revive this.....

I have now taken the headlining out. The article which Nick sent was very useful, but a couple of points need mentioning.

It takes no account of the B pillar seat belt height adjusters/sliders which I found impossible to dismantle, so I just took off the coat hooks and pulled the tops of the trims towards the centre line of the car as the headliner was drawn back to the hatch door. The other thing was that the windscreen trim at the front of the headliner would not come off because the windscreen sealant used at the last replacement has glued it to the screen surround. So I had to be very careful to get the hatchdoor end tabs out of their slots. It was just possible.

Both of these will make getting the headliner back in a very tricky job, needing many helping hands. The foam strips on the inner face of the headliner all disintegrated as I pulled it out so I will have to find some sort of replacement; I find rattles and squeaks to be very annoying.

Amazingly the clips for the A pillar and rear headliner trims are still available from VW at 32p each

Best wishes

RB

to revive this.....

I have now taken the headlining out. The article which Nick sent was very useful, but a couple of points need mentioning.

It takes no account of the B pillar seat belt height adjusters/sliders which I found impossible to dismantle, so I just took off the coat hooks and pulled the tops of the trims towards the centre line of the car as the headliner was drawn back to the hatch door. The other thing was that the windscreen trim at the front of the headliner would not come off because the windscreen sealant used at the last replacement has glued it to the screen surround. So I had to be very careful to get the hatchdoor end tabs out of their slots. It was just possible.

Both of these will make getting the headliner back in a very tricky job, needing many helping hands. The foam strips on the inner face of the headliner all disintegrated as I pulled it out so I will have to find some sort of replacement; I find rattles and squeaks to be very annoying.

Amazingly the clips for the A pillar and rear headliner trims are still available from VW at 32p each

Best wishes

RB

good reporting thanks Rog

I've read how the Skoda Oktavia glass roof fits but does anyone know if you can just change the glass panel for the metal panel on a rado mechanism?

I've read how the Skoda Oktavia glass roof fits but does anyone know if you can just change the glass panel for the metal panel on a rado mechanism?

In a word, NO! The glass panel roof has a different mechanism because there is a slide in, plastic panel which acts as a rear rain channel and the blind can be pulled back to expose the glass roof.

In a word, NO! The glass panel roof has a different mechanism because there is a slide in, plastic panel which acts as a rear rain channel and the blind can be pulled back to expose the glass roof.

OK, thanks for answering

OK, thanks for answering

I have a fully working frame from a Mk3 Gti here spare but the glass is a slightly different shap so you'd need a glass panel that fits to finish it off!