Blounter

VR6 tensioner query

I have a dayco belt fitted. It's only been on a few hundred miles but no problems so far, and tbh, I'm not sure I've ever fitted a genuine aux belt and never encountered any problems. 1190 rings a bell, but worth measuring the old one first. Itll be the shorter of the two available iirc unless you have ac.

eurocarparts also do a Continental belt which is fine. Around £20 with a/c, and £12 without. You wont get any belt noises with it. Dayco as Sean mentions above are also good.

I thought that but am completely unable to find the Continental belt on their website - they only list the Dayco one for the VR now..

I replaced my belt and the whole tensioner unit with VAG replacements - sourced from Germany, so a bit cheaper. It's not worth taking the risk, as Kev says, it's not only the bearings that go over time, but the springs in the tensioner as well.

There is only 1 tensioner and only 1 belt (unless you have A/C), so the alternator is therefore the like suspect as there's a few different ones that fit VR6s. How many ribs on the alternator pulley? May only be 6 if the belt is over-hanging, which means it could be a 4Motion / R32 alternator.

Exactly the problem I had on mine, Pulley only had 6 Ribs rather than 7.

Ian.

The culprit looks like the alternator pulley which should have 7 grooves and mine has 6? Previous owner or a garage must off chucked any old s**t on there. It's a bosch unit 14v 70A 0986 038 390 which is only 13mths old, so might see if I can get the pulley changed? If anyone knows anywhere…………….

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79334[/ATTACH]

The culprit looks like the alternator pulley which should have 7 grooves and mine has 6? Previous owner or a garage must off chucked any old s**t on there. It's a bosch unit 14v 70A 0986 038 390 which is only 13mths old, so might see if I can get the pulley changed? If anyone knows anywhere…………….

Probably need an air gun, but any competent garage should be able to change it for you? (I might have a spare pulley, not sure - Let me know if you want me to check?)

Ian.

Probably need an air gun, but any competent garage should be able to change it for you? (I might have a spare pulley, not sure - Let me know if you want me to check?)

Yeah if you could. Found a place up the road who'll change it

Googled the part no seem's it's for a variety of vw's but not a Corrado http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.slimparts.nl/dynamo/15811-dynamo-alternator.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3D70A%2B0986%2B038%2B390%26rlz%3D1C1CHFX_enGB504GB504%26espv%3D2%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D628

Yeah it seems to fit all vw's bar the corrado! Should be ok with the correct pulley on you'd think………..? If anyones got a spare pulley give me a holler cheers. got alternator off earlier,wasn't to bad,loosened mounts and jacked engine up. tried it through headlight hole first……….doh!!!

Yeah if you could. Found a place up the road who'll change it

PM sent.

Ian.

Does the inner most groove line up with the tensioner's inner most groove? If it doesn't don't fanny about with pulleys and replace the whole alt for the correct one.

Later alts have slipper clutches inside the pullies, so the shaft might be different and might not take a 12V pulley?

Does the inner most groove line up with the tensioner's inner most groove? If it doesn't don't fanny about with pulleys and replace the whole alt for the correct one.

Later alts have slipper clutches inside the pullies, so the shaft might be different and might not take a 12V pulley?

Yes I think they did line up kev,it was overhanging on the outside of the alt pulley. I'll chuck it back on just to check the inner faces line up though.

Cheers