vr6paul

Replacing plastic membrane in door

Hi everyone. The next job for me is to try an get the footwell dry (discovered last night it was soaked!) I have already replaced the gasket for the scuttle cover so now I am thinking the fact that there is no plastic membrane in the door at all may be causing the problem. Can anyone suggest what sort of plastic to use and where to get it? Are we talking thick bin bag type material?? Also I am assuming it is just a case of covering the whole of the inner door. Any help would be great thanks.

Thanks for that. I will give the plastic bag route a try. I guess I am looking to basically stick it to the inside of the door allowing holes for wiring etc? I am now thinking my lower door seal is not up to much so could also be at fault. One thing at a time though eh!

Thanks

Yeh pretty much, just try to make the least amount of holes in the plastic you use. Also make sure you clean the door where your about to run sealent across to get a good seal.

I'd more than likely look at your door seal or look to see if anyone rubber grommets have been disturbed whilst doing work on the bulkhead. Water will always find away in, you could lightly apply some grease on your door seal on the body then shut the door to see if it is touching the door and sealing properly. Either that or a mate with a garden hose running water across the car with you inside seeing where it is coming from.

i bought a reel of butyl tape from ebay. Around £10 for 5m iirc. Its the same 'black stuff' that vw use and will seal extremely well.

If you look in my build thread you can see how i've done the door membranes on mine:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=42752&page=8&p=596733&highlight=membrane#post596733

about half way down.

Edited by fla