Roger Chatfield

Oil cooler mounting (upside down, on its side)

Hi all,

As some of you know I'm currently sorting out a few cooling issues with 'Stormy'

So, while I have the front off I thought I would sort out the oil cooler.

I'm thinking I may move it to a different location so it gets better airflow, currently it sit in-line with the number plate.

IMG_12041_zpsfb6b972e.jpg

IMG_12051_zps55e2bdc3.jpg

So I'm thinking either move it up which would mean mounting it upside down or move it to the side which would mean mounting it sideways.

Would there be a problem with upside down or side mounting?? I'm thinking possible air locks etc.

Or should I just leave it where it is.

Rog.

Hi Roger it annoyed me the fact that the oil could not be cleaned properly so I fitted mine hanging from the slam panel and the dirt that came out over the next couple of oil changes was horrendous but I feel much happier now although you do get run back into the filter/sump and the oil level varies a non return vale could be the answer :thumbleft:

Well I've had a quick look round the inter web and there seems there is no reason why I can't run this cooler upside down so I've decided to mount it under the slam panel.

Rog.

I personally would return it back to factory standard Rog,it would reduce the risk of any leaks too,not sure they are really needed unless the car is tracked or turbo'd etc

I think I might, i'm sure the new rad and a good wash out should improve the cooling, only problem I have is I dont have the original oil cooler cover.

Rog.

If you hang fire for a few days Rog, I'm pretty sure I have one on the spare lump that you can have. I'll pop in the car club in the week and grab it for you if you like?

If you hang fire for a few days Rog, I'm pretty sure I have one on the spare lump that you can have. I'll pop in the car club in the week and grab it for you if you like?

What a bloody idiot... just realised I've got a spare engine sat in my garage... I've just checked and it has the OE cooler still attached..I'll simply use that..

Cheers for the heads up Sean and the kind offer.

Rog.

I did think that too, but assumed you'd either moved it on or wanted to keep it together. :bonk:

I'd get new seals for it though mate, quite a common area for leakage and you'll probably see the state of them when they're removed.

Are you getting excessive oil temps running that massive external cooler?

I had a little 13 row Mocal in the same place and it severely over cooled the oil over winter, even when blocked off with cardboard.

Yes Kev, I was still seeing oil temps over 100 even with the 19 row mocal, it's got a themostat sandwich plate so doesn't flow until over 80 so I can't see it over cooling.

Think I'll run it without the extra cooler and see how it goes.

Rog.

I would. Mine also had the stock cooler and mocal sandwich plate but it still over cooled.

The sandwich plate opens at 80C when it should really be 90-95 deg imo. My oil temps over winter were 82 deg, which is like pumping treacle.

120 deg oil temps were an issue in the 80s when the VR6 engine was designed, but not anymore with modern synthetic oils.

Bin the mocal!

Whats the smallest row cooler you can get ? And cant the sandwich plate be changed to open a little later so it only really gets used when your giving it the pastys ?

I'm sure the manual says to slow down if the temp goes over 140, so low 100's should be no sweat all day long.

Yeah it does, love it it seems so blase about it! If I was was at 140, I'd be bricking it and do more than just slow down a bit! :lol:

Since I've got the front apart I did a little test this afternoon, suspended the oil temp sender in a cup of hot water, it was surprisingly accurate.

So, I guess I'm seeing real temps of 110-120 on a regular basis, anything to worry about??

Rog.

Were you driving flat out in 30 degree heat? :)

What sort of temperatures do you normally see on a motorway cruise?

Mine was sitting at about 108 centigrade on a motorway drive in the warm weather we had in July, at a fairly steady 70-80MPH.

That does seem high , highest i ever got mine on the road was 124 and that was braying this living **** out of it

At castle combe national day a few years ago i saw 128 but that was flat out for like 5 laps

What temps do the oil coolers drop it down to ?

That does seem high with the Mocal.

FYI tracking a standard car I was seeing 130ish, with the VRT + Mocal is was around 110 on track so they certainly work. Id bin it and go back to standard, get some nice new oil/filters and take it from there.

I would see if you can get hold of a proper probe you can poke down the dipstick tube and get the actual temperature, or go for a hard run and then immediately change the oil and measure it's temp.

I've never been scalded by oil coming out of the sump so I think the MFA / Sensor over reads on these cars. It's just a cheap sensor that heatsoaks. Rather like the intake one that takes 15 seconds to register a drop in temperature.

Stick good oil in it, drive it, don't worry about it.

Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 is the best oil for this engine, period :)