vcl

Gearbox dilema

The previous owner of my 8v Corrado omitted to inform me that the car was fitted with a 16v gearbox.

The performance is outstanding, but I could do with a few more miles per gallon. Can any one tell me if there is a more compatible 02A gearbox fitted to any other VW which could be fitted without any modification.

Any mk3 Golf GTI (8v) gearbox will bolt straight on. That's probably your best and cheapest option bud. Tons of em about too which helps.

The previous owner of my 8v Corrado omitted to inform me that the car was fitted with a 16v gearbox.

The performance is outstanding, but I could do with a few more miles per gallon. Can any one tell me if there is a more compatible 02A gearbox fitted to any other VW which could be fitted without any modification.

What MPG are you getting?

Averages out about 30mpg.

I've got an 8v (2E engine code)daily that gives about 35mpg in summer and about 32mpg in winter on a 10 mile commute on A roads. Shorter journeys and any traffic sees it drop to 28mpg

The original gearbox gives good torque around 2600rpm but it tails off quickly. There is absolutely no point in revving it! It is the most 'diesel like' petrol engine I've ever driven.

Whats it like with the 16V box then?

Mines 20v !

If you look in the wiki,there's a "how to" to fit a higher 5th gear in your box,

This keeps the revs down,saving you petrol

Mines 20v !

If you look in the wiki,there's a "how to" to fit a higher 5th gear in your box,

This keeps the revs down,saving you petrol

Yeah I've thought about getting that done as at 70 mph its revving way too high. Will it be a big jump in gearing from the standard 4th though?

If you want 6 speed, go and fit an 02s box. They pretty much bolt straight on to 4 pot engines. The 02s is a 6 speed version of the 02a that vw took heavy inspiration from the Gemini 6 speed version of the 02a.

Yeah I've thought about getting that done as at 70 mph its revving way too high. Will it be a big jump in gearing from the standard 4th though?

It will and there will be absolutely no acceleration when you go to over take either, necessitating a drop down to 4th. Completely pointless imo, unless of course cruising and overtaking sedately are a priority :)

Is the cost and hassle of changing gearboxes really worth it for chasing a few more mpg?!

If you want 6 speed, go and fit an 02s box. They pretty much bolt straight on to 4 pot engines. The 02s is a 6 speed version of the 02a that vw took heavy inspiration from the Gemini 6 speed version of the 02a.

Not quite a simple bolt on as the 02s doesnt have a speedo output so you either have to rig up your own from the ABS or you have the box stripped and swap the bellhousing for an 02a/02j bellhousing

Well when you put it like that....

Cheers

It will and there will be absolutely no acceleration when you go to over take either, necessitating a drop down to 4th. Completely pointless imo, unless of course cruising and overtaking sedately are a priority :)

Is the cost and hassle of changing gearboxes really worth it for chasing a few more mpg?!

corrado_golf_VR6_CHN_CCM_3_38.png

corrado_golf_VR6_sport.png

http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/image/en/optimizing/diagrams_conversion_kit.html

Hello,

The kit of EuroTuning parts is designed to allow you to fit it yourself. You do not have to remove the gearbox from the vehicle, you remove the front left wheel and the plastic wheelhouse. In the engine compartment, you remove the battery and the air filter to have free access to the gearbox. Detailed instructions in the Internet. The fitting operation lasts in EuroTuning 4 hours. The gearbox withstands the same load as declared by Volkswagen.

Current price: 825 £ (with out VAT)

Regards Ron

If I thought I was in for the long term with my VR I'd give serious thought to this kit - 6th gear in my VR is something I always fancied!

Hello,

The kit of EuroTuning parts is designed to allow you to fit it yourself. You do not have to remove the gearbox from the vehicle, you remove the front left wheel and the plastic wheelhouse. In the engine compartment, you remove the battery and the air filter to have free access to the gearbox. Detailed instructions in the Internet. The fitting operation lasts in EuroTuning 4 hours. The gearbox withstands the same load as declared by Volkswagen.

Current price: 825 £ (with out VAT)

Regards Ron

Seems very reasonable to me.

Has anyone thought about or tried fitting the 6th gear from an 02s box, I have seen and heard they have a delicate bellhousing that cracks easy so there must be a few broken boxes about