Lesta_Rado

'95 VR6 running 110oC..

I've had a quick read through of some old posts but there's mixed opinions. I have a 95 Corrado VR6 and the coolant temp gauge went to 110 (some spirited driving was also conducted). Now, I've read other posts on this forum by members and some say it's pretty normal as VRs tend to run hot and some say it's not normal? Just because of this, I've went to gsf and bought a coolant fan sensor to replace. I was just wondering if someone could please clarify what is normal for these engines and what isn't.

Coolant should sit at 90. It'll sometimes go slightly higher if your raggin the nuts off of it, or Sat in traffic in high heat, but the fans should be kicking in bringing it back down. Oil temps should be between 102-110 or thereabouts.

Personally I think some of it is down to how the car has been serviced , ie new rad , old rad . What coolant is in the system , old or new thermostat ect . Mine sits at 76 most of the time and gets higher in traffic , fans cut in at 83 . As soon as I get on to and open road it sits at 76 again .

Rob

Mines the same as yours Rob although I've got a mocal for the oil and have removed the stock heat exchanger.

Should be sat at 90 all day long...

110 usually means the rad fan thermo-switch has failed.

75-80 usually means the thermostat is faulty / stuck open.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

Supercharged- I've bought the cooling fan sensor, if that what you mean. Where is the sensor located? Also what size is it lol. Looks like a 26 or something?

it's on the rad, remove the battery for access...

it's an imperial size, think plumbing!

Cheers buddy! I will get onto it tomorrow morning hopefully. Is there any guides available?

I have changed everything in the cooling department on my Corrado.. the temperature sits about 90-95, but in red light traffic and start stop the temperature rises to about 105.

Oil is 100ish.

I dont know why but I cant really find why the water isnt more steady and not fluctuating like it does. The only thing I can think of that drags the temp up is that I have a condenser in front of the cooler... besides that. Meh.

P.S I can maybe be the heat exchanger for the oil/water also.. Im thinking of getting a R32 one that is bigger... but I dont know if its worth it.

Edited by Wompa

Rob, Hasan, mine is the same as that too. I've fitted a new stat, heat exchanger, water pump, coolant flush and renew, heater matrix, and all new water temp sensors and thermoswitch. Basically, a whole new cooling system bar hoses. I've spoken to a lot of people who see the same temps so it's pretty normal.

Edited by seanl82

Mine has never run anywhere near 90 unless stuck in traffic.

Since buying the car it has run just over 70 whilst on the move which made me think there was a problem. I replace the 'stat and blue sender and it made no difference.

If anything I expected higher water temps with it being a fairly big oil and water cooled turbo but apparently not, maybe the different thin rad has something to do with it.

If you run after market fans, they tend to run cooler simply because that massive fan and shroud stops decent airflow through the radiator itself. My temps went down by 5c the moment my fans came out.

What did you do to get this change?

Hi buddy I've just changed the coolant fan sensor which was about £9ish from gsf.

Also since I've done this, just had a quick dual carriageway blast and at 50mph, temp stays at 80ish which I'm pretty impressed with.

For a piece of mind, I'm going to chane the coolant flange, thermostat and coolant soon.