fuzzywuzzy

my engine code

Just been looking at what my engine code is on my corrado vr6 (1994 on L) and found that it's AAA 0796517. I've been told by a friend that my original 2.9 engine must have been replaced with a 2.8 coz the engine code is wrong.. is that true? :-(

Unless your Corrado is an American SLC then yup it's most likely a wrongan. All UK spec VR6 Corrado were spec'd with the ABV 2.9 not the 2.8 AAA

I wouldn't be too disheartened, yes it's not the original engine, but it's still a VR, and the corrado it's in looks a million times better than the mk3 it came from ;)

Entirely right attitude. Would they but know it, I would wager that there are a lot of Corrados out there without their original engines. As the years pass by the activity of owners past is buried, only to be uncovered by the more observant or informed.

Entirely right attitude. Would they but know it, I would wager that there are a lot of Corrados out there without their original engines. As the years pass by the activity of owners past is buried, only to be uncovered by the more observant or informed.

Hit the nail on the head!

My last corrado was supposed to be a 2.0 16v 9A, I didn't realise until after I'd taken the engine out and sold it that it was actually a 1.8 16v KR, well I say I realised, I didn't it was the guy who bought it when he pulled the head off and cc'd it. He wasn't happy but we came to an arrangement lol

This is a familiar story, we regularly see Classic Dubs and Audis which on inspection post or pre-purchase are found to be equipped with much changed components. I don't see this as an exclusively bad event. It at least proves it was loved enough to be kept running, and hey it can always be restored back to near original.

It is a slight shame it's not the original engine, but it is a very good engine, so I'm lucky really. Hope it don't make too much difference in the speed lol

Am about to replace my 2.9 with an 2.8, mainly because someone was selling brand new AAA blocks. Am going to use corrado inlet etc and also the 263 cams, so hoping it will be similar or more power than the standard 2.9 lump.

Am about to replace my 2.9 with an 2.8, mainly because someone was selling brand new AAA blocks. Am going to use corrado inlet etc and also the 263 cams, so hoping it will be similar or more power than the standard 2.9 lump.

nice jim - this will be interesting to see how it unfolds

Personally I think a fresh AAA will make just as much if not more if fitted with the ABV inlet tract than a 100k ABV, there is only 600cc difference between the two.

Rog.

I still think they only made the 2.9 to make it sound more appealing to customers than the golf, otherwise everyone would of moaned about it just being a golf engine.

Change the intake and throttle body and you're likely to get close to the abv power anyway.

Yeah luckily they are the original ones, so thanx for telling me that, feel better about it all now :-)

I've got an AAA block bored out to 2.9 when I exchanged the engine at tsr performance so that could happen to your car once...

I still think they only made the 2.9 to make it sound more appealing to customers than the golf, otherwise everyone would of moaned about it just being a golf engine.

Its still a Golf engine, 2.9 MK3 syncro 4wd

Iv owned a mk3 vr6 and it felt just as quick as the corrado tbh.. Lol similar story actually , my friend whos into mk1 caddys recently pulled his motor out to find out that its actually got a 1.8 and the whole time hes owned it {more then 8 years} hes been buying parts for a 1.6 { carbs , spark plugs, etc } as that's what it was supposed to be..

There is a chance that mine's been bored, the guy who had it before me had defo spent some serious dolla on this engine. She drives fantastic so I'm really happy :-)