lilfuzzer

camera advice

Hi all after some camera advice

As some maybe aware that I am not particularly technology literate. We are looking for a camera/camcorder that my missus can wear on her hat when riding a horse. Obviously dont want to spend a fortune. Has anyone got any recommendations as to which ones to look at and more critical which ones to avoid?

Many thanks

Chris

Chris, I've got a GoPro which is the best thing since sliced bread. You can take stills, bursts, or film. And they easy to mount to all sorts if stuff.

I have 2 gopro's HD2 and HD3 Black edition.

The Black edition is marginally better and can shoot at higher resolution and if your shooting at 720p the frame rate is fast for slow motion editing.

I tried the new contour roam2 the other week whilst out on my mx track it it shoots just fine and at half the price is a very good option. Quality I would say was the same as the HD2 which is still the best camera out their in my opinion for the money.

Gopro's IMO are the best but all the accessories are expensive. By the time you add in a chest mount strap and a few extensions so that you can mount the camera just the way you want it you can easily be in the mid 400's. You will spend half that on the contour and they are robust as I did have a hefty crash over a 75ft table top and broke the mount off with the impact. Camera was fine.

scratch that.

The gopro white edition is a very good value for money camera and is a similar spec to the contour I mentioned above. The silver is a nice upgrade to get the faster frames per second and a higher resolution still.

Black edition is for nutters like me that spend 20 hours editing a 3 minute video. Not worth the money in my opinion as I would rather have had 2 silver editions to give me 3 cameras for shooting video.

Another vote for GoPro. Have mine on the Corrado screen and it's brill.

Cheers kdud

Dont think will be spending time editing etc. It's really mainly for bad drivers and also to catch good things the horse in doing when she is doing ground work

White edition then my man.

More than enough for videoing and light editing for those good moments caught on camera. You can make a very very good edit with one of these.

Invest in the chest mount with 1 or 2 extension pieces. Oh and jam a piece of paper between the camera attachment and the mounting point itself to stop it rocking or you get an annoying clicking on the videos audio.

Set it up with the widest field of view angle and 720p shooting with the fastest frame rate.

Also make sure you get the best sd card you can buy. The faster the transfer rate the better and smoother the video will be. An 16gb card class 10 (future proofs you for higher definition content). I highly recommend a Sandisk extreme card which you can get online for about 10-15 pounds.

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chest-Harness-Head-Strap-Mount-Tripod-Monopod-Adapter-for-Gopro-Hero-2-3-3-/400630155620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d476b0964

gives you the chest harness and helmet strap so that you don't have to attach a mount to the helmet.