Jim

Bilstein B4 damper warning!

So ever since I got new Bilstein B4's fitted to my Corrado about three years ago, I've always thought they never felt right. I put this down to a mismatch of dampers and springs (KW). I found the ride had become progressively more crashy but also dangerously bouncy.. like if I go over some sections of uneven road too fast, it literally bounces the car like some kind of low rider!

It's always been on my list of things to sort, but always on the back burner because it's yet another significant expense.

I was chatting to a friend of mine this weekend over from Germany and I told him about the suspension symptoms and what I've got and he immediately knew the problem. He's a serious regular at the Nurburgring and follows lots of forums with folks discussing suspension setups and so forth (and indeed owning something like 7 cars, I trust his judgement on this sort of stuff!). The issue specifically is that the B4 is explicitly designed for STANDARD ride height with standard springs. Apparently the box / documentation even warns that they will not work with lowering springs properly and indeed apparently destroy the valves inside the dampers within a matter of months.

So that'll explain why my suspension is awful as the dampers are not working properly. So a useful warning I hope for folks debating fitting worn shocks with Bilstein B4's like I did. Don't. Apparently you need the B6's as a minimum or ideally want to go for a complete kit like the B12. Which I guess I'll have to think about soon.

Bilstein dampers are manufactured to be stroke sensitive. It's one of the reasons they are so good. So you have to use the correct spring length to match the specific Bilstein dampers you fit.

Dampers like Koni's are not stroke sensitive. So you can use lowered springs (within reason) without a probem.

It's the damper working outside of its designed stroke range and/or bottoming out that causes them to become damaged.

Like I've said a million times, for a car to handle well you need to match the springs, dampers, tyres, wheel size, geometry, etc, to work together in harmony.

Edited by DriverVR6

Like I've said a million times, for a car to handle well you need to match the springs, dampers, tyres, wheel size, geometry, etc, to work together in harmony.

Couldn't agree more.

Indeed. Well, I was looking at some of the Bilstein kits available. Not in a position to consider anything yet and will just have to manage with shagged suspension for a while but either the B12 kit, or maybe one of their coilover kits would be my most likely acquisition later on down the line.

It is a daily, in so much as it's my only car.. but I don't have to use it every day as I can walk to work. But I'd just gotten so used to the shagged suspension to be honest and was just living with it but always thinking "God this suspension is abysmal..." :)

Was getting a bit worried when I started to read this Jim, as I have just put a new set of B4 dampers on mine. However I have standard springs wheels and tyres so I am hoping they will continue to feel as good as they have so far.

Dougie

thats interesting, i fitted lowered avo's springs and b4 shocks to my old mans t3 and they work well in that application as fitted to lots of vans.but not on the corrado running gear.

on my van i have HR cup kit and that works very well,and just fitted a HR cup kit to my mk3 i got both kits from thehttp://www.tuningstudio.de/index.php/XTCsid/sn3fvsb91nno9hbsuhbo99g7g0

good bit cheaper than i could find in this country and fast delivery.

I'm running B4s on my standard springs and the setup is beautiful. Bit harsh on urban pothole roads, but at speed, it's just beautiful. IT's almost impossible to get the car upset, perfect balance of travel and firmness.Whilst my other halfs Golf R is very quick and has oodles of grip, on bumpy rods, the slower Corrado is much better to fly over.

I just need the get the rear axle bushes done and suspension refursh is complete.

Yeah - I need to emphasise that this is only with lowered springs. I'm sure they're a great damper with standard springs :)