Roger Chatfield

Can these cams be repaired??

As some of you may well know I'm in the process of fitting a newer engine to my rado.

So, when I removed the cams from my old engine I discovered this damage.

IMG_4622_zps21c49f8f.jpg

IMG_4623_zps168b22df.jpg

IMG_4624_zps35cc0519.jpg

IMG_4625_zps07cc8780.jpg

IMG_4626_zps88769592.jpg

IMG_4627_zps20add64e.jpg

Now, ideally I'd like to reuse the cams so I was wondering can these be repaired?? I'm thinking maybe grind the journals smaller and fit bearing shells but I'm not sure if this is possible.

BTW I'm using a different head so I'm worried about the damage to that.

Rog.

Ah yeah, just read on your members gallery and realised these were your SP cams. No idea if these can be repaired though sorry. More than likely someone can, but whether it would last or be cost effective is another matter.

The cams don't have shells.

Your best bet it to take the cams to an engine machine shop for assessment, but to me they're scrap, if you can't machine them to as new the journals will grind away the "new" head and its cam caps as they are softer alloy.

You can't swap cam caps from one head to another as they're machined bolted to the head in the first instance, line bored so the bores are perfectly round

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but with the damage you illustrate in your pics to the cam journals and caps is terminal. The cam can not be machined as this would in turn require oversize bearing shells to be fitted to compensate for the undersized journal diameter. Shell bearings are not available for the cams and have never been, as the cylinder head is line bored to the cam journal dimension. So indeed as the cams are scrap so too is the cylinder head.

Oil starvation, contamination or poor oil quality most likely cause Jim. The head is the first point in the engine to suffer when oil pressure is reduced. I would want to establish cause before replacing / fitting new parts. The same thing could re-occur if not first identified and rectified.

The cams don't have shells.

Your best bet it to take the cams to an engine machine shop for assessment, but to me they're scrap, if you can't machine them to as new the journals will grind away the "new" head and its cam caps as they are softer alloy.

You can't swap cam caps from one head to another as they're machined bolted to the head in the first instance, line bored so the bores are perfectly round

+1

Rog, 2.8 and 2.9 cams are the same anyway, so use what you've got to hand.