Jim Bowen

Corrado Road tax, up £5 every year

I seem to notice this each time i get a road tax renewal, £230 this year or £241.50 if done by direct debit.

Am sure when i bought the car it was under £200.

That's under 2.5% which considering how much everything else seems to be rising and the number of cars on the road with free road tax, I think is very fair.

If it was taxed like it was in Ireland, then I'd be selling up!

Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of money to keep a relatively old and unpowerful car on the road and I don't feel like I get that much value for money.

Why is it going up again now though. DVLA have just reportedly saved themselves £40m a year by doing it all online, why are we being charged more year upon year! And regardless, 2.5% is still far more than inflation!

why does it cost more by direct debit,

I saw a new tax form the other day and the direct debit was cheaper because it saved them some time/paperwork

Just so you lads and lasses know what to expect. As already said, why is it dearer to pay monthly by direct debit? Its an automatic payment method that energy companies give you a DISCOUNT for using, but the DVLA charge you extra for doing it. Theres no admin involved, its an automated system paying another automated system.

They have just thrown random figures around. A one off DD payment for 6 months is cheaper than paying at the Post Office, but the 12 months DD is the same as paying at the Post Office. Then by paying monthly over 12 months its dearer again!?

IMAG0677_zpsg7fnwkeo.jpg

Edited by Diesel2000

Be thankful you don't own a car that costs £475 per year to tax

That is a silly mentality. If you can afford to buy and run a car that belches out a high CO2/Km, you can afford the tax.

If you buy a 5 bed detached house, expect a high band council tax.

Has logic and common sense evaporated from the earth over the past decade or something?

lookign forward to classic status on our rado's

All the oil will have run out by then I fear since its at least 15 years before the earliest Corrado reaches to new moving classic date!

Road Fund Licence doesn't massively bother me. It's annoying yes but as soon as I have my garage I'll only be using it 6 months of the year.... and definitely not as annoying as the fact 62% of the price per litre at the pump is tax.

Has logic and common sense evaporated from the earth over the past decade or something?

In my experience, and except for pockets of resistance.... Yes.

For the record I don't mind paying £475 for my 911. However it did put me off getting an R32 as a 2nd car and sticking with the Corrado.

What gets me is my mates work van costs around the same to tax as my Corrado, I done 1200 miles last year and he does that a week!

And as much as I'm all for the monthly payment, it will be a stealthy way of whacking the price up - if your tax goes up £2 a month you'll probably just go "Oh well it's only £2", then they do it again next year and you think "Oh well it's only £2" but your road tax has increased by £48...

And what gets me is tax for the Corrado VR6 is £230 and tax for my Edition 30 is £265, but mod both and they kick out waaaaaaay more CO2 than an R32, but the tax remains the same.

Gotta love loop holes :D

What gets me is my mates work van costs around the same to tax as my Corrado, I done 1200 miles last year and he does that a week!

And as much as I'm all for the monthly payment, it will be a stealthy way of whacking the price up - if your tax goes up £2 a month you'll probably just go "Oh well it's only £2", then they do it again next year and you think "Oh well it's only £2" but your road tax has increased by £48...

at 1200 a week he's paying a lot of fuel duty (IRO 75% of fuel cost) so he's actually subsidising you :)

at 1200 a week he's paying a lot of fuel duty (IRO 75% of fuel cost) so he's actually subsidising you :)

So the amount of fuel duty I pay in my truck I'm subsidising half my street...