EssexPaul

Replacement Wishbones For VR6

Evening everybody,

This is my first 'real' post so go easy!

I have been told that I need to replace my wishbones at the front. I initially took the car to the tyre/exhaust garage as I thought the front wheels were out of alignment. It turned out to be the tracking. The fault only became apparent last summer.

I have called around a few places and it seems that the wishbones themselves are readily available.

My question really is do the Ball Joints and Bushes also need to be replaced? Are there any other parts that I need to get too?

Is there any other preparation work, or work following them being fitted that I would need to do?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Paul

The securing bolts on the wishbones have a nasty and quite frequent habit of shearing. The wishbones themselves are readily available aftermarket. Lots recommend R32 rear bushes, although I have no experience personally. The wishbones are available with these fitted from veedubmachine iirc. Its your call to replace just the bushes and doing it in situ, or removing and/or replacing the wishbone tbh mate.

Iv got two wish bones i could sell , then you could powdercoat them up like new and then but your desired bushes in them , there origional vw ones aswell

The ball joints can swap over. They dont come with the wishbones. Although you might need to renew the bolts and retaining plate that holds ball joint on.

Droplinks from the anti roll bar need undoing. Worth seeing if they need renewing.

Engine has to be jacked up or sump removed to get one of the wishbone bolts out.

It's worth getting some plusgas and spraying all the bolts whenever you can leading up to the work. Should help getting them out.

Where in Essex are you?

Definetly need to replace the wishbones? The ony thing (?) that can go wrong with them is rot surely? Tracking maybe out because of worn bushes/balljoints, but will not be down to a worn wishbone... bent maybe if in an accident or rusty, but rust wouldn't cause the tracking issue.

My tip - do the whol lot at once, it'll be worth in in the long run. Bushes, balljoints and track rod end and bearings, whilst it's all off. You should never have to touch tem again in the lifetime of the car. Will be money well spent. will be better balanced too and not mean a mix of different quality parts.

Thank you guys,

I think what I will have to do is give it to the mechanic that we have always used, investigate it and then just get whatever it is done. The guy has always been quality and has done loads of work on the Corrado before. I would second with you Jamie and just get the lot done. Without having any mechanical knowledge myself it is difficult to know what to do, hence my post here. The tire/exhaust garage were at pains to tell me several times that they cannot give out advice but that it was the wishbones.

Without the car handling correctly it just doesn't feel right.

Once I have the problem sorted I shall let you guys know what the problem was.

Iv got two wish bones i could sell , then you could powdercoat them up like new and then but your desired bushes in them , there origional vw ones aswell

Interested in these if the other person doesn't want them.

Ian.

oh, if you want to sharpen up your front end, remember to spec out Mk4 R32 wishbone bushes, the rear ones. Made a lovely different on mine (the originals were barely worn).

Something like these http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_3.2_2003/p/car-parts/suspension-and-steering/suspension/suspension-bushes/?610441565&1&4cdaeda769abb043060736d7f4a1525837774bfb&000437

Think I may have found the problem.

On the invoice for the mot it says 'n/s/f anti roll bar end link rubber boot perished'

Would that cause the tracking to go out?

It wont help with overall feel but wouldn't have thought it would change tracking specifically as it wouldn't effect the tie-rods