Sign in to follow this  
dazzyvr6

fast car article??

got told today by a lad in work about an article in fast car magazine..saying that the vw vr6 engine is the worst vw ever built,saying that they are prone to timing chains breaking...any one see that article to verify it?

got told today by a lad in work about an article in fast car magazine..saying that the vw vr6 engine is the worst vw ever built,saying that they are prone to timing chains breaking...any one see that article to verify it?

WTF!!! *:) - so how comes its the most powerful naturally aspirated V6 engine of its time?

VW were also the first people to put a V6 engine into a FWD power train!!!

thats why you see in this forum everybody with a vr6 needing advice on their broken timing chain

WTF!!! *:) - so how comes its the most powerful naturally aspirated V6 engine of its time?

VW were also the first people to put a V6 engine into a FWD power train!!!

pretty sure the alfa 164 3.0 beat the vw in power and by having fwd v6 power

I dont think I have ever heard of a VR6 timing chain breaking before?

Not a single one in fact. Not to be rude or anything, but I certainly wouldn't base my motoring decisions & beliefs on what I read in Fast Car magazine.. they are hardly the epitome of high quality motoring journalism.

thats what i thought...this lad said he was thinking about buying a vr6 corrado but after reading the article he changed his mind

He should definately have a skim over magazines like Evo and Top Gear.. they still hold the Corrado VR6 in very high regard.

Though I certainly wouldn't reccomend the Corrado to someone who dislikes bills...... :)

From Evo Magazine's 'The Knowledge' section:-

Corrado VR6 - 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, Top speed 146mph. Verdict - Positives - Still to be bettered for all round ability and appeal. Negatives - Errrr ?

BMW and Alfa had more powerful six cylinder engines (2.8 & 3.0 respectively) at the time but they were both 24V, so not a like for like comparison.

A lot of 2.9s seem to develop more than the quoted 190bhp anyway, so perhaps it was the most powerful 2 valver per cylinder V engine? Alfa's V6 is a true V though, and used 2 heads, so VW are the victors of innovation once again!

As for chain's breaking, that's a myth as we all know. Fast Car is biased toward Jap cars and Fords anyway. The VR is often misjudged, it never was supposed to be a tarmac shredder, just a refined and smooth powerplant.

Kev

Oh dear...

And he avoided the VR because of potential reliability problems? :)

What I was getting at is that the Corrado VR6 is not actually a 'proper V6' engine.... its actually a straight six engine with the chamber offset to 15 degrees giving the compactness of a proper V6 engine with the grunt of a straight six !!!

VW was the first to do this and I dont actually know of any other manufacturer who have done the same thing to date!

Straight Six Engine

O O O O O O

V6 Engine

O O O

O O O

VR6 Engine

O O O

O O O

Scott.

Something strange about putting in spaces between letters when loading up post!!! mmmmm

Never heard of one timing chain broken but have heard of people replacing them due to getting noisy...

Its all a bit like tabloid journalism - you get the quality publications like Evo, Top Gear, Car etc then you get the likes of Max Power, Revs, Fast Car which sell to the young and dumber folk and cater for a specific market that does not ordinarily include or require decent research into a subject. Anything read in these I would take with a pinch of salt.

On the plus side, articles like the one in fast car will hopefully help keep the corrado out of the hands of neds which in turn will help its reputation and ensure its still sought after by enthusiasts.

my 2p worth.

Anyone remember the Jag 220 test? Bloke stuffed it into 2nd at full chat and blew it to buggery. Could it be him again? :D

On the plus side, articles like the one in fast car will hopefully help keep the corrado out of the hands of neds which in turn will help its reputation and ensure its still sought after by enthusiasts.

I like that *;) 8)

The worse thing is last week I saw a Corrado Storm in Manchester - same colour as mine and he pulled up at the lights next to me.... it was covered in dents, rust :shock: , and scratches and bad sprayed paintwork... he then had lowered it and added 'pimp mobile' dark black window tints..... I could have shot him :mad:

The worse thing is last week I saw a Corrado Storm in Manchester - same colour as mine and he pulled up at the lights next to me.... it was covered in dents, rust :shock: , and scratches and bad sprayed paintwork... he then had lowered it and added 'pimp mobile' dark black window tints..... I could have shot him :mad:

It really is pretty painful to see stuff like that... it sucks to be an enthusiast about things sometimes :(

Fast Car is biased toward Jap cars and Fords
no they are not they also include crappy little corsa's with owners who have more money than sense or who end up paying off the loan for the rest of their lives(abit like g60 owners)!

I've stopped buying fast crap and kaks power as they seem to be full of the same crap and occasionally one or two decent jap cars. PVW and the Golf magazine feature cars which have some thought style and power (kris bones mk2 says it all) gone into them, not fibre glassed sheds which shall be showing the patches of filler and rusting away in a years time.

Yup I stopped buying those kind of mags a LONG time ago....

Performance VW, Car Mechanics and the Golf Magazine are all favs of mine.... as well as my RC Race Car Magazine :oops: :lol: 8)

The worse thing is last week I saw a Corrado Storm in Manchester - same colour as mine and he pulled up at the lights next to me....quote]

anorak alert here scott...............your C isn't mystic blue.....so can't be the same colour as a genuine storm.................. :wink:

The worse thing is last week I saw a Corrado Storm in Manchester - same colour as mine and he pulled up at the lights next to me....quote]

anorak alert here scott...............your C isn't mystic blue.....so can't be the same colour as a genuine storm.................. :wink:

What I meant smart alec is that both cars were blue *:)

His was a darker blue too mine and a storm therefore assume it was mystic blue - no idea as havent seen mystic blue in the flesh *:)

:p

What I meant smart alec is that both cars were blue *:)

His was a darker blue too mine and a storm therefore assume it was mystic blue - no idea as havent seen mystic blue in the flesh *:)

:p

but cars are made out of metal not flesh...........call me a smart alec and i'll act like one too.......LOL :lol: