Hairyarse

URGENT help please :) Front wiper motor

So this afternoon ploughing down the A50, my front wipers stop working! When I came to a stop I could hear the wiper motor making a grumbling noise as if it was still trying to operate.

I stopped, got out and gave the wipers a gentle nudge and they then finished their wipe cycle.

First off, I'm after opinion if this is likely to be the motor failing and needing replacement? That's my guess (had not time to diagnose yet) as if the spindles have seized then the little nudge wouldn't have got them going.

Secondly, I called my trade parts supplier and they said that they can't get me a wiper motor for the later spec Corrado! However, on ebay it doesn't seem a problem. Are they difficult to get hold of (will the ebay ones actually be for earlier models?)

All help appreciated please as MOT was booked for Thursday so will have to cancel now most likely - plus I think it's due to rain and this is my daily! lol

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy check the brackets on the motor but you are probably correct in the motor.

That seems strange that you cant get hold of one as I have several (obviously second hand) that have been advertised for a while

If you want one give me a shout

How urgently do you need a motor mate, I'm sure I've got one Somewhere in the garage.

Sorry to hear , Andy :(

Fingers crossed that its a quick fix for u and flies thru its next MOT!

U got home OK without wipers working?

Thanks for the offers chaps, I'll see if I can get anything local tomorrow with GSF first as would like to sort it tomorrow.

Fortunately Wayne, it didn't rain again after they broke! :)

Andy, lift the bonnet with the wipers on and check where the motor is situated. Check the linkages to see if they are rotating. That'll tell you if it's the motor or spindles that are gone.

Am sure i looked into motors a couple of years ago and recall seeing motors from other vw cars that looked the same and cheaper.

Might be worth having a look. I think i had to buy a whole mechanism in the end as i was in a rush.

ive got a mk4 golf one on mine looked exactly the same as the one i took off just a different part number

All sorted. GSF had one new for £36 so thought that was OK. Linkages were moving very freely. GSF chap said motor is same on all Corrado and other VAG too. Not sure why my usual parts man couldn't get one.

Anyway, I can now wipe my windows again! Next up, Mot tomorrow!

Thanks again for all the info chaps

Yes made it ;) I know it will fail as one of the steering rack boots is split. My friendly MOT tester doesn't mind testing knowing this - I want to know if it fails on anything else before stripping down to replace parts. I know wishbones and bushes need doing but they're not bad enough to fail (famous last words!) lol

good luck andy

my valver is taking more than i had hoped to get it back on the road but hoping that will have a MOT by next week

oh & from my experience the change in ride is superb once you have managed to work your way round replacing all the running gear, wishbone bushes & rear beam bushes etc ;)

Thanks mate. Well good news, it passed! Advisory on one tyre and wishbone bush so no surprises.

Agree with you on the suspension. Replaced every nut and bolt on my Mk2 Golf 16v last year, all OEM except for Eibach lowering springs and the transformation was amazing!

I'd like to fit a B12 kit but funds are tight at the moment lol