Jim Bowen

Rear beam photos or diagrams?

Struggling to remember where all the clips and brackets etc fit onto the rear beam and also the underbody.

Have found a few photos and now worked out which is the top face!

Got all my small fixings and clips muddled up so not sure what goes where and if I need any new ones etc. I remember snapping a few when I took them off.

I can help!

The first picture is passenger side of the rear beam (from above) and the second picture is drivers side.

There is four white pipe clip things and the black plastic moulding for the ABS sensor wiring (on either side).

Perfect. Thanks.

The problem I have is I think the studs for clips are in the wrong place. It's not my original beam. It's a replacement but the black plastic bits won't got on. Not sure if pics explain. Seems like the beam is longer.

20150429_200803.jpg

20150429_201103.jpg20150429_201109.jpg

First pic the white clip is on the stud. But other end is way off.

Other pics show if I clip the black bit on first the white clip misses the stud.

Is your vr a late one? Mine is a late beam and the studs are threaded, when I did goldie's beam which is an 'L' reg, it had studs like the one on the pictures which were different.

Wonder if the beams are different?

Mine is a 1995. Annoyingly I haven't got the axle I took off to compare. The clips that came off don't look like they have been on a thread. But they also don't stay on the studs.

Would be weird for the axle to be longer that way. But that's how it seems. Or more likely studs in different place.

I might look into p-clips and do away with the white and black bits. Just hoping the axle is correct size.

Both of mine have been 1995 cars with threaded studs. The plastic guide on your picture and the White clip are the same as mine.

There is another little stud on your picture in the filet piece where the rigid brake line clip goes, that should also be a threaded stud for a 1995 car.

Both of mine have been 1995 cars with threaded studs. The plastic guide on your picture and the White clip are the same as mine.

There is another little stud on your picture in the filet piece where the rigid brake line clip goes, that should also be a threaded stud for a 1995 car.

If you look at the picture sent by Philly, the stud near the wheel axle looks further up the beam then yours.

Am I right in saying all vr6 cars we're the wider track?

Am sure this is the wider axle as there were two widths from mounting face of the stub axle and this one was wider of the two.

Might go check my rear axle is still in the skip!!!

Vr6 are different and as I say, goldie's was different to mine.

If you have the old beam it's worth checking stud centres

Looking on vagca it does give quite a few different part numbers.

Will try and measure old beam. Got fingers crossed I can use it as had it coated and fitted bushes to it.

Are the older clips different to fit on the studs? I have some that slide on which I reckon came off this beam.

I'm not sure but looking at those studs they look like the clips would slide on.

I reckon you should be fine if you get the right clips.

JIm,

I tried to take pictures of the beam I have lying in the garage at the moment. Unfortunately:

A: The pictures were shheeeiiittee

B: I dont know what age/vehicle it came off. I am sure it was from a late 16V.

But both the one on my car and the one in the garage dont have a theraded stud on them, it as the ones in your pictures they have a small flat top to them that the clip slides onto.

Just a thought, are the black plastic fittings handed?

Dougie

I've managed to buy some of the slide on type clips which should work with this axle, so as long as brakes pipes and the ABS wiring is secure i'll be happy.

Am just hoping its the right width of beam for car. going to try and find my old axle to compare (i gave it to a mate to scrap, hopefully he hasn't been yet)

Jim,

A quick note that the rear beam - in the images I posted - was off a 1995 VR6.

If required, I can measure the beam I have or read any part numbers tomorrow lunchtime.

Just let me know...

Jim,

A quick note that the rear beam - in the images I posted - was off a 1995 VR6.

If required, I can measure the beam I have or read any part numbers tomorrow lunchtime.

Just let me know...

Hi Philly, did you know you have the wrong brake pipe clip (double one) on the web part of the beam? Not that it really matters but it should be a single clip (still available).

Found my old beam last night, luckily my mate hadn't binned it yet. The dimensions of the beam are the same so that's good news. But can see the studs for the clips are different.

Just wondering now if the earlier axles had different black plastic bits (that hold the ABS sensor wire) as they don't fit this axle.

I can maybe help with that when I get home Jim,

I think the part numbers are still visible on the plastic bits on mine so I will post them up in case they are different on yours.

No doubt someone will beat me to it though.

Dougie

Nice one, would like the proper duct things if they are some, if not i've have to get inventive with some clips