BILLCOR

As New MK4 R32

People seem to think the R32 is a special car, its not. It was too slow, too thirsty and has basically no motorsport pedigree which is essentially what you need for a good appreciating car that will be collected.

Just because something has extremely low mileage doesn't make it a good buy, in fact I don't see the point in such cars. If you did buy it you wouldn't use it as putting miles on would seemingly devalue the car. There's better ways to invest money and whats the point in having a car if you cant use it.

I did think that, is this silly high asking price just an attempt to try to self justify buying such an expensive car at the time and not getting a thing back from it. Literally the same as throwing what ever money its lost in the bin. I think in most cases (obv epic classics and property etc aside) buying something and never enjoying it purely basing its entire worth and existence on its re sale value is just retarded. I wouldn't care if i lost 75% of the money ive spent on mine on re-sale because the fun and memories its provided me with are priceless. Imagine how ****ed his misses is going to be "trust me darlin one day it'll be worth loads"

HA... NO

I did think that, is this silly high asking price just an attempt to try to self justify buying such an expensive car at the time and not getting a thing back from it. Literally the same as throwing what ever money its lost in the bin. I think in most cases (obv epic classics and property etc aside) buying something and never enjoying it purely basing its entire worth and existence on its re sale value is just retarded. I wouldn't care if i lost 75% of the money ive spent on mine on re-sale because the fun and memories its provided me with are priceless. Imagine how ****ed his misses is going to be "trust me darlin one day it'll be worth loads"

HA... NO

indeed EJ - what is the point! life is here to be enjoyed, we only get 1 chance so be as happy as you can as much of the time as you can & try not to regret

i recall when i was very young, about 8 ish i think, my mom used to work for a small company & one of the directors there purchased a ferrari testarossa brand new. he had it delivered to his secure garage where it sat under a cover for many a year.

he never once drove the poor thing & even at that young age i can remember saying to my mom that 'how could he just leave it sitting there & not drive it, pure sacrilege!!!'

'he brought it as an investment' my mom would say - 'what a w4nker' i would think LOL

im not keen on the shape but holy cow im keen on the 2.53 0-62mph time!! :D

If that's a trap time up a drag strip I'll be super impressed, but I reckon it was done with an iphone app :lol:

People seem to think the R32 is a special car, its not. It was too slow, too thirsty and has basically no motorsport pedigree which is essentially what you need for a good appreciating car that will be collected.

Just because something has extremely low mileage doesn't make it a good buy, in fact I don't see the point in such cars. If you did buy it you wouldn't use it as putting miles on would seemingly devalue the car. There's better ways to invest money and whats the point in having a car if you cant use it.

Wrong!

The R32 Mk4 anyway is a special car, Arguably the best bodykit to ever come on a Golf, one of the classic Engines, 4WD, epic noise etc, the fact they didn't sell huge amounts of them will ensure they are a sought after car!

It'll always hold its value & low mileage ones with the right trim ie not the horrible 1/2 cream 1/2 black interior and/or a special colour ie Red, Grey or Dark Blue will be worth a canny bit going forward!

They are already creeping up in value

If that mileage is genuine, then with what the guys asking for it, someone will probs pay it. Yeah, maybe £25k is a bit optimistic but its certainly done the job of creating interest for the sale etc!

Also go find another with that low mileage!

I think I understand where coullstar is coming from. The R32 engine wasn't exactly uncommon - just look how many other cars VAG put it into? The TT, the A3, Passat's, Golf's.. I think that will always hurt it's long term rarity / desirability some respects.

I've never really felt any love for the R32 engine generally. I always loved the VR as it was reasonably quiet with a subtle grunty bellow, whereas the R32 was far too shouty and showy. I don't like the raspy exhaust note either.

Look at something properly rare like the Golf G60 Limited - not even sure one of those would fetch 25k at least assuming you could find one! :)

I just think the Mk4 R32 was all mouth and no trousers IMO. Its nice but its not special, certainly not special enough or rare enough to pay a premium over.

You're all missing the Point...its the 1st R model also and being the ultimate Mk4 Golf model and selling in limited numbers will make it into a classic!

Yeah, perhaps not £25k worth but its gotta be worth a fair bit......Find another one!

You're all missing the Point...its the 1st R model also and being the ultimate Mk4 Golf model and selling in limited numbers will make it into a classic!

Yeah, perhaps not £25k worth but its gotta be worth a fair bit......Find another one!

dude these lot dont even say the corrado is a decent car so good luck with taking them into a mk4 golf. Seen endless threads about how the C aint all that and isnt good enough bla bla bla lol

Yeah - that's why I've owned four of them, and have had at least one Corrado on my 'fleet' for most of the last 14 years ;) Crap cars.

Yeah - that's why I've owned four of them, and have had at least one Corrado on my 'fleet' for most of the last 14 years ;) Crap cars.

wasnt a personal dig jimothy, im just saying if the forum itself seems 50/50 that the corrado isn't guna be a classic, the car they actually own, good luck persuading said people a mk4 golf is guna be one.

Who knows what is going to become a classic.

Could you have predicted 30 years ago the prices of 70s and eighties fords? Austin Allegro's, boggo standard renault 17s etc etc etc.

There is one thing owning a car and appreciating it, then there is another claiming that it is going to be a "future classic"

Opinions are what make the world go round, but just a group of owners talking up, or down, a particular model is not going to make a blind bit of difference as to how the market looks at or values a vehicle in twenty years time.

Just my tuppence.

PS

Mk4 R32, 25K? Not a chance.

Dougie

wasnt a personal dig jimothy, im just saying if the forum itself seems 50/50 that the corrado isn't guna be a classic, the car they actually own, good luck persuading said people a mk4 golf is guna be one.

Corrados are a tough one, the sort of people that love them are the long time members on the forum, most other people would see the price and then look at the alternatives and dismiss the corrado. I don't think its ever going to make someone a fortune by holding on to it for years, its a car to enjoy. Its not too complicated that you can't be a DIY mechanic.

Not sure why people are wanting it to be a classic

I'm 50 / 50 on the R debate. I'm in agreement that the MK4 was the first 'R' and VW did give it a half decent attempt, by their usual reserved standards. Bilstein B6s, H&R springs and ARBs as standard, Big brakes as standard, decent seats as standard (even if they whack the roof in the 3 door car) and a tasty looking bodykit, and which alongside the TT started off the current twin exit exhaust craze.

MK5s onwards have been pure cost cutting exercises, but what they took away with one hand, they gave back with the other in terms of structural stiffness and handling.

Despite VW's intent, the MK4 never delivered. The engine has one of the most irritating power deliveries I've ever experienced and it just wasn't powerful enough either. The MK5 was better, but it still wasn't all that. Both are boring to drive and is why I got rid of mine after 18 months. Dynamically the R32 is the best MK4 there ever was, but it still sucked as a daily driver. Crashy suspension, droney exhaust, rubbish quality electrics, useless engine mounts (the MK5 is even worse on that score fwiw) and just nothing there when you really boot it......and massive understeer if you fit a sport haldex controller.

That's why it will never be a classic, because most people hated it dynamically everyone cited it as being too slow and unfulfilling to drive.

Just to throw this into the mix would people be more likely to go for a golf mk5 edition 30 or a mk5 r32? Im currently swayed towards the edition 30 for the tax and the small extra economy. Im in two minds as one day soon i wouldnt mind an upgrade to air con and some extras.

In my view the Corrado is already a classic car. The fact that we are here discussing it, spending 000's repairing and renewing parts must indicate that it has a following and has become collectible. In addition the supply chain for spare parts is building up, for example it is now possible to buy a carpet set. When these things start to happen people begin to realise that a car is a realistic purchase option that they can obtain support for. There are plenty of other cars that are 20 or 30 years old that are unloved by all but a few.

As regards the Golf Mk4, I believe it still has someway to go. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought the Golf MK1 and MK2 would become collectible, but decent examples are now selling for £10k.

what ever happened to your car man?

Sold and ended up in Wales I think, but have just bought another one today.....

Just to throw this into the mix would people be more likely to go for a golf mk5 edition 30 or a mk5 r32? Im currently swayed towards the edition 30 for the tax and the small extra economy. Im in two minds as one day soon i wouldnt mind an upgrade to air con and some extras.

Well I had a mk4 r32 8 years ago was trading it in for a mk5 r32 with bucket seats but after a test drive the mk4 drive better was a bit more raw so after that I ordered a new edition 30 in white without even a test drive I knew it would be the better and after nearly 8 years of owner ship I made the correct choice as cars don't last long with me sometimes weeks lol. For me vw got the edition 30 spot on but once you start modding them it gets expensive lol

Well I had a mk4 r32 8 years ago was trading it in for a mk5 r32 with bucket seats but after a test drive the mk4 drive better was a bit more raw so after that I ordered a new edition 30 in white without even a test drive I knew it would be the better and after nearly 8 years of owner ship I made the correct choice as cars don't last long with me sometimes weeks lol. For me vw got the edition 30 spot on but once you start modding them it gets expensive lol

Cheers id quite happily have one thats standard. Whats oil consumption like as ive heard stories of the tfsi being a bit of a burner?

Out of interest, what do you have now Kev?

MK5 Edition 30 :)

Definitely the Edition 30 as it doesn't feel as heavy on it's feet. It does everything well, whereas the R32 only really has exhaust noise and traction on it's side.

Oil consumption is negligible (compared to the regular GTI) as it's the Audi S3 engine with beefed up internals and has the better pistons / rings as standard.

Mine's modded to 300+hp and it needed an uprated clutch as the standard one can't cope. That and an uprated fuel pump is all I've done in terms of mods. The rest of the car can take it. They handle really well as standard and I've not felt the need to lower it all. The brakes are OK imo but a lot of folk feel the need to uprate them as they're only 312s. Mine averages about 26mpg running that power, but I rarely do the speed limits and accelerate hard. It averaged 30 when it was standard. The people who claim mid 30s must drive it like a granny is all I can say to that!

It's been reliable so far (touch wood) and only needed a rear wheel bearing and a side repeater in terms of unplanned maintenance.