Timbo

"Best" aftermarket parts manufacturer?

I need new track rods, and will probably do the drop links at the same time. Unfortunately, both are now obsolete; the parts guy at VW even did a dealer search to check for any stock. Nada. Having previously been burned by crappy pattern parts, I don't know what to do. I'm pretty sure Topran stuff is basically cheese, and I'm a little dubious of TRW. VW Heritage are going with Meyle... anybody got some experience/advice? Thanks.

Febi quality varies massively. Depends what bits you are after really as to what manufacturers are OEM ie Sachs - clutches, Hella Bosch - electrical etc

Edited by Jamie

Only ever use febi if I can help it, always been great quality and I have heard they have people redesigning parts with common problems. I have certainly noticed improved design on several items I've replaced

Am sure trw make the steering rack etc. I've bought bits from dealer with trw on them. Am sure of it. Will look tomorrow as i know my track rod ends were from vw

I stuck a GKN CV joint on my VR as a genuine VW one would have been something like 4x as much - done about 10-13k on it and so far, so good!

TRW do indeed make the power steering racks amongst other things.

GKN are OEM quality CVs Jim you won't go wrong there mate

Well the tie rod ends (the main thing to fail the MOT) were on the car for roughly 18 months, so about 4000 miles at the most. They were Febi, from http://www.vwspares.co.uk. I remember when I got them looking at the "seam" around the rubber like this one...

105506.jpg

...and thinking "hmm, not sure I like the look of that". Sure enough both sides had split along the middle and were full of road grit. So I won't be going for Febi. (Yes I know that's Meyle and it's not a VW end; it's just an example.)

Edited by Timbo

GKN Vandervels Jim ? .

Was just 'GKN' I think - though it has been a while and my memory is hazy :)

I only mention it , as my dad used to work for them back in the 70s . I haven't heard the name GKN in a long time . He used to make me stuff in his break times . I had the best catapult in the street . I also got to visit the racing cars they had there . Sorry for clogging the thread .

I only mention it , as my dad used to work for them back in the 70s . I haven't heard the name GKN in a long time . He used to make me stuff in his break times . I had the best catapult in the street . I also got to visit the racing cars they had there . Sorry for clogging the thread .

Was always GKN Löbro when I was in the motor trade

I've discovered one of my neighbours works for GKN, must quiz him about where things are made and QC/OEM supplies

and my new next door neighbor works for VAG head office in MK, really must get chatting!

Had GKN CVs on my VR6 turbo for years and they survived, so a good enough acid test in my book!

Never been impressed with anything from GSF / ECP tbh, except maybe Valeo stuff. Yup, OEM tie rods were TRW and if you put one alongside a Febi pattern one, the difference in quality is obvious.

Can't believe VW are obsoleting so many critical components. Swines!

Can't believe VW are obsoleting so many critical components. Swines!

Yeah, especially since these are Mk3 parts too, and you would have thought there are still a fair few of them kicking about. Sounds like the consensus is either TRW or Lemforder then?

(I know the steering rack was originally made by TRW, but this is no guarantee that they're still doing good work 20+ years later.)

Lots of companies hey bought up and the new owner will keep the name everyone knows and trusts. But gets everything made in China as cheap as possible.

My new fuel filter from vw had made in China on it and the VW stamp next to it. Could of got the same one from eurocarparts for cheaper.

There must be a TRE from a different VW that will fit, shirly? It's a pretty standard part.

If I still had my Rado and was faced with this mass obsoleting problem, I'd just fit the hubs and stuff from newer VWs. Problem solved :) And opens up more wheel / brake upgrade options!

There must be a TRE from a different VW that will fit, shirly? It's a pretty standard part.

If I still had my Rado and was faced with this mass obsoleting problem, I'd just fit the hubs and stuff from newer VWs. Problem solved :) And opens up more wheel / brake upgrade options!

I'm doing the whole rod. The trouble is that they are different lengths for different models (obviously), but knowing which rod and TRE combo matches the 406mm the (VR6) Corrado wants, is difficult to work out. I did spend an hour or two looking at service manuals for other VW models, but that got boring pretty quickly. I'll probably just go with Lemforder as people are broadly saying good things about them.

I try buy the bits that VW buy in and sell on at an inflated price. £280 for a sachs clutch kit from VW, £100 for the exact same from eurocarparts.

When i first got the corrado i listened to the "only buy parts from VW" crew on here, but over the years i've found i was getting ripped off by VW. I've done over 100,000miles since owning the car and replaced most parts, some twice and not had any problems due to non-genuine parts.

Certain bits i do only buy from VW, but depends on the part, Wheel hubs and CV joints i got from VW, just took a chance on FEBI bearing. Am sure VW had obseleted brake discs, pads and bearing last time i went.

It absolutely is a rip off from VW, and often you ARE getting the same thing at an inflated price, but at least that way you're getting some sort of affirmation of quality. I would buy after market parts all day long (and have done, in the past) if I knew what I was getting, but it's so much of a lottery that I tend to go to a dealer for a lot of things. Having said that I did just get two new drive shafts off ebay as the prices VW would charge there are predictably going to be ridiculous. Time will tell if that was sensible, I guess.

That's the thing, the VW dealer stuff has to be made to a certain quality. Aftermarket stuff doesn't, hence the huge difference in price. There is obviously a dealer mark-up because most garages make their profit that way. I was always happy to pay for dealer stuff to get a guaranteed perfect fit and long life span. Fine if you have the means I suppose, but I was fed up with GSF ****e failing very quickly.

As for the whole rod, when I did one on my MK4 R32, it did look very similar to a VR6 one. Only difference being the MK4 hub is inverted, so the TRE bolts in underneath instead from the top (Bump steer reduction).

Ideally you'd want a longer rod which could be cut down and run a die down it to extend the threads.....or something? Just thinking out loud.