delfinis38

electric hybrid cars

anyone know about the running cost and servicing on electric hybrids..... I know nothing and the vw main dealer knows nothing.

interested in the new Golf GTE which i saw at goodwood... my main dealer has two and knows nothing about them until he goes on the training course.... the car has high voltage signs in it at the moment...

he says 9 month waiting list god knows how they have sold any....

it's a 1.4 im looking at producing 150BHP under engine and 50BHP under electric motor.

is the technology too resent at the moment. and will cause problems ?

I'm sure they'll be fine, after all the Prius has been going since 2003 and they don't have a particularly bad reputation.

Whether they'll be an economical buy privately from new is another thing altogether, despite quoted mpg figures and general public impressions of diesels, hybrids and full electrics the most economic buy for most when everything is factored in would probably be a conventional petrol.

anyone know about the running cost and servicing on electric hybrids..... I know nothing and the vw main dealer knows nothing.

interested in the new Golf GTE which i saw at goodwood... my main dealer has two and knows nothing about them until he goes on the training course.... the car has high voltage signs in it at the moment...

he says 9 month waiting list god knows how they have sold any....

it's a 1.4 im looking at producing 150BHP under engine and 50BHP under electric motor.

is the technology too resent at the moment. and will cause problems ?

There's not a lot of information out on them at the moment, to be fair. What was it you were mainly interested it knowing?

As he said, there's currently a 9 month waiting list, as the UK has sold all of its allocation for this year already - means nobodies sure if you'll still be eligable for the government grant by the time they're registered.

with regards to running costs, not sure, much better mpg than the GTI, I can tell you that! Servicing wise, I'd guess it'd be somewhere between the 1.4tsi and the Touareg Hybrid - I don't know the exact service requirements but it's bound to have more checks than a standard petrol engined car - I know it takes a different specification of oil (VW 502 00) due to the hybrid nature - the engine can start up and immediately be expected to work at 3k rpm or so, but beyond that, there's no information available yet.

If you've got any other questions shoot me a PM and I'll try to find out for you :)

For a bit of fun, ask the dealer what the life expectancy of the IGBTs inside the inverter is. How did the manufacturer protect the IGBTs against cosmic rays?

Not making this stuff up, BTW.

Tempest

Have a look at Johnny Smiths (5th gear) electric car,

Imaginatively called flux capacitor

I saw it ran last weekend at the pod,13 secs

That is impressive! Really strange to see it tske off with only an engine whine and no roar.

I follow the forums for a couple of pure electric cars, and they have had their share of problems but seems overall to be maturing pretty quickly. Have to remember that, for example, Honda's Insight has been out YEARS and Lexus have been doing Hybrid tech now for years.. so personally would have no concerns jumping in with a Hybrid or (my preference) pure electric :)