robrado974

Fuel tank stem , earth strap ?

I cleaned this area out today , whenever I fill up with fuel , there is water present , sat in the rubber sleeve . I removed the rubber sleeve and unblocked the tube . It Was only when I was hoovering the crap that was lodged in this area , I noticed an earth strap just hanging there . I couldn't find anywhere to attatch it though . Is this an earth or something else .

Regards

Rob

Mine was the same when I did it Rob. I think it goes from the filler neck to the body. Mine had completely rotted away where it attaches to. I'll be investigating a bit further when I start on the rear end/underside though.

Thanks Sean . Looks like mine has too . I've been meaning to clean it out on there for ages . Doesn't look like any rust is present , so thats one thing . Only a tiny bit on the rim .

Fairly sure they all rust off, I think I read somewhere it's not a big deal, in place in case a spark is created while filling up.

Here is what it looks like on a removed tank

B85C03FA-5FDC-45AE-A237-885FD888FD88.jpg

And where it should be

4E0EA308-88BC-449E-A2BA-A16D7A7E3544.jpg

Yep, mine is rusted and just hanging there as well - happens with age and that area just collects dirt and water as it's exposed with no arch liner to protect it - just cross your fingers when you're filling up and you'll be grand. You could use some conductive glue to put it back on.

Mine was the same. I managed to make up a new wire and connections and soldered it back on. Turned out better than i thought but not sure how long it was disconnected so probably doesn't do much

Same issue with mine.

Soldered on the new earth wire but the solder wouldn't stay attached for long on the fuel filler neck metal end guard, so had the idea of rapping bare copper mains wire around the top of filler neck and twisting the two ends so as to tighten it so it would make contact with the metal end guard, then soldered that in 2 or 3 places, then Soldered on the new earth wire to the mains wire, and bingo it worked, even tested it with my multimeter and it works.

Might rap some duct tape around it so no mud or damp will get to it.

Much cheaper option than purchasing a new fuel tank £££ that's for sure.

Si

You might want to have a look at the panel behind the fuel flap as it's a bit of a moisture/dirt trap up there. I noticed quite a bit of rot on mine, but luckily it ground down to clean metal and I treated it. As for the ground wire, mine rusted off as well and I never got any static sparks blowing it up at the Shell station :lol:

You might want to have a look at the panel behind the fuel flap as it's a bit of a moisture/dirt trap up there. I noticed quite a bit of rot on mine, but luckily it ground down to clean metal and I treated it. As for the ground wire, mine rusted off as well and I never got any static sparks blowing it up at the Shell station :lol:

Good to see you on here again Kev :thumbleft:

Yeah I found the rust of doom up at the top behind where the fuel filler neck is bolted, cut it out and had to order a replacement inner rear wing section, as didn't fancy fabricating a new section piece.

As for the :onfire: not yet :lol:

Si

Same issue with mine.

Soldered on the new earth wire but the solder wouldn't stay attached for long on the fuel filler neck metal end guard, so had the idea of rapping bare copper mains wire around the top of filler neck and twisting the two ends so as to tighten it so it would make contact with the metal end guard, then soldered that in 2 or 3 places, then Soldered on the new earth wire to the mains wire, and bingo it worked, even tested it with my multimeter and it works.

Might rap some duct tape around it so no mud or damp will get to it.

Much cheaper option than purchasing a new fuel tank £££ that's for sure.

Si

Thanks buddy :)

Indeed! Maybe the wire was originally spot welded into place? I know that was a common practice back then! Some metals solder just won't take to!