MDMTechnik

VR6 Storm full restoration

awesome work! , out of interest what was your method for removing paint on the bumper 80 grit DA?, i just took 6 paint layers off of mine and took for ever!

Amazing and thorough restoration, hats off to you. This will be like a brand new car when your finished.

Epic work there mate, well done for being so thorough with it!

My chain guide had snapped in exactly the same place on that mounting point, and they had all been replaced about a year prior. Not sure if it was due to over tightening as they have a metal sleeve, or its due to slightly too much play on the chain. You're obviously replacing the lot though which is a good thing. The mk4 tensioner bolt and top guide would be a wise purchase. :thumbleft:

awesome work! , out of interest what was your method for removing paint on the bumper 80 grit DA?, i just took 6 paint layers off of mine and took for ever!

Its a bitch isn't it!! Yep 80 Grit using DA. took me about 4 hours per bumper. In total we have spent approx 60 hours stripping this car. We estimate another 20 hours prep before any paint and then 80 hours paint. Roughly 200 hours including engine.

Epic work there mate, well done for being so thorough with it!

My chain guide had snapped in exactly the same place on that mounting point, and they had all been replaced about a year prior. Not sure if it was due to over tightening as they have a metal sleeve, or its due to slightly too much play on the chain. You're obviously replacing the lot though which is a good thing. The mk4 tensioner bolt and top guide would be a wise purchase. :thumbleft:

Cheers dude.

All chains, tensioners, guide etc are being replaced. When I get back from holiday I will order the engine parts buts I have just purchased a Schrick inlet and the new genuine doors have just arrived from Germany along with a few other parts which are no longer available from a VW dealer. I will post some pics on Friday.

Its a bitch isn't it!! Yep 80 Grit using DA. took me about 4 hours per bumper. In total we have spent approx 60 hours stripping this car. We estimate another 20 hours prep before any paint and then 80 hours paint. Roughly 200 hours including engine.

yep its a bitch alright! a lot of hours but then 80hrs is only 2 weeks and i bet you could easily make the 80 into 100 , keep it up!

A few bits have from returned from the shot blasters.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82359[/ATTACH]

New doors, door seals and a few other new bits have arrived.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82360[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82361[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82362[/ATTACH]

Schrick inlet ready to be soda blasted as soon as I can track down a new elbow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82363[/ATTACH]

Finally managed to get back onto the Corrado.

New doors are gapped, front wings have had the small dents removed by a panel beater, Block has been bored out and its now masked up ready for paint along with shot blasted front cross member and some engine brackets.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82505[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82506[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82508[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82509[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82510[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82514[/ATTACH]

A few parts painted. Now for a huge order of parts to build it up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82530[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82531[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82532[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82533[/ATTACH]

looking good, i have got NOS side trim and beige door seals, number plate light and rear bumper exhaust shield if required, just p.m me

Wow - great progress!

I nearly bought this car (owned for many years by a doctor, if memory serves) back in April this year. Had the train ticket ready, but the other half decided we needed to move house.

Looks like the guy who did buy it then rapidly proceeded to stick it in a hedge!

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?90959-Finally-a-Corrado-Owner!

Glad you're bringing it back. Apparently back in the Spring the car had no chain rattle at all, so no work needed was what I was told by the guy selling her from near Manchester.....

Edited by zygalski

Nice work. What else are you working on currently? Is this going to be a daily drive or just another feather in your cap.

Wow - great progress!

I nearly bought this car (owned for many years by a doctor, if memory serves) back in April this year. Had the train ticket ready, but the other half decided we needed to move house.

Looks like the guy who did buy it then rapidly proceeded to stick it in a hedge!

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?90959-Finally-a-Corrado-Owner!

Glad you're bringing it back. Apparently back in the Spring the car had no chain rattle at all, so no work needed was what I was told by the guy selling her from near Manchester.....

Yeah he didnt own it long and he waited 8 years before buying one....lol.

I would of been annoyed if I paid good money for this car, every panel has huge amounts of filler. I think the N/S/R 1/4 had 14 layers of paint!! It looked ok, but on close inspection it was a ****ter. Structurally sound with no rust but poor workmanship at bodyshops made it a mess.

Progress is being made but it doesnt look like it when I take photos so ive held off for a while from posting.

Basically its taken twice as long to get the bodywork 100%. It will be worth it though.

The new genuine door where pretty rubbish (press marks around handle etc). Literally spent approx 10 hours prepping each door.

Everything is in primer now, well except tailgate as i have a better one which I need to strip down.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82729[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82730[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82731[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82732[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82733[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82734[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82735[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82736[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82737[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82738[/ATTACH]

Edited by MDMTechnik

I so relate to where you are tight now. I was taking those same pics of mine three years ago! Thankfully my project is coming to a point of closure very soon now. Excellent work, will look forward to seeing the finished item.

Nice work. What else are you working on currently? Is this going to be a daily drive or just another feather in your cap.

I run MDM Technik so it changes every day but my own projects are the Corrado storm, Seat Ibiza Time attack car, another Corrado and a MK1 Focus RS (not mine). Since everything has taken longer than I thought, I don't know when the Corrado will get built back up as the Ibiza needs to be finished by March so I can go and do some testing before the Time Attack season starts. Its a huge build aswell, were talking wide arched, even more weight saving, big power and running stand alone management.

Not going to be a daily at all. Will only really be taken to shows. My daily at the moment is a Touran TDI, basically its a loan car from a bodyshop as my daily went back to Audi for a full paint job due to corossion on the aluminium. They done such an **** job that I sent it back and they are doing it all again. They had it for 2 months for the original visit, I had it back for 2 weeks and its now back with them. May not be back before Christmas. This is how I sent it back to them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82740[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82741[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82742[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82743[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82744[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82842[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82843[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82844[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82845[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82846[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82847[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82848[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82849[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82850[/ATTACH]

Merry Christmas everyone.

The Storm is ready for paint after some very long hard hours of prep which included dust coat, 600 dry, dust coat, 800 dry, dust coat, 1000 wet and dry, dust coat and the 1200 wet and dry. The doors took 3 hours each to prep for painting after the primer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82851[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82852[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82853[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82854[/ATTACH]

Another exciting day :dance:

Some colour!!!!:dance:

First we used a dark blue as a light base coat as green is very transparent and can take a number of coats for good coverage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82855[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82856[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82857[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82858[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82859[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82860[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82861[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82862[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82863[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82864[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82865[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82866[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82867[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82868[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82869[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82870[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82871[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82872[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82873[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82874[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82875[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82876[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82877[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82878[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82879[/ATTACH]

Now its was time for the Classic green...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82880[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82881[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82882[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82883[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82884[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82885[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82886[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82887[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82888[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82889[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82890[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82891[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82892[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82893[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82894[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82895[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82896[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82897[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82898[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82899[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82900[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82901[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82902[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82903[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82904[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82905[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82906[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82907[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82908[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82909[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82910[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82911[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82912[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82913[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82914[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82915[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82916[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82917[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82918[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82919[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82920[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82921[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82922[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82923[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82924[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82925[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82926[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82927[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82928[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82924[/ATTACH]