g0ldf1ng3r

How could anybody think this 'fix' was safe to drive with!!!!

I saw the below when I went for a walk on my break at work.

it was parked in a public car park, so must have been driven there & potentially going to be driven back to wherever.

I have not edited the registration as maybe someone will know the owner & could help educate them on the dangers it presents to them as well as the general public (admins I can do so If I am breaking any rules etc)

It truly does display, IMO, the problem with the country/s dumbing everything down for the lowest common denominator of person

how could any sane person feel that this would fix a bonnet issue such that it was safe to drive, even if only temporary.....

Absolute dumb*ss if they think that'll hold the bonnet down.

indeed! imagine the potential chaos if they drove down a highway like that

indeed! imagine the potential chaos if they drove down a highway like that

They probably wouldn't notice due to texting

It could be just to hold the front grill in place if its tabs have been snapped

the bonnet catch was clearly broken as you can see the bonnet it raised

It'll still have it's safety catch though surely.

I doubt a safety catch would be strong enough to keep the bonnet down when driving along though - wind tends to have a lot of force at speed ;) lol

Wouldn't be much of an issue at low speeds. And they're obviously aware of the problem.

it would be an issue for both the driver & general public if the bonnet flipped up & caused the driver to not be able to see

a danger to themselves, others on the road & potentially pedestrians

im fairly confident the police would have something serious to say about it

So what exactly is the safety catch for if it won't prevent such a catastrophe at normal road speeds? Do they just fit them for fun these days?

So what exactly is the safety catch for if it won't prevent such a catastrophe at normal road speeds? Do they just fit them for fun these days?

if you believe it would be safe & legal to drive a car with the bonnet on its safety catch alone then no offence but it is not even worth the time typing a response to your above reply

Holy crapola Batman.

I really do wonder about the shallow end of the gene pool somedays.

Hopefully that blue tac backup will be enough..

if you believe it would be safe & legal to drive a car with the bonnet on its safety catch alone then no offence but it is not even worth the time typing a response to your above reply

I believe your just blowing things out of proportion and assuming the worst. For all you know the problem could of arose on their journey and they have carefully nursed the car to it's destination and arranged it to be repaired. But no, lets all just assume idiotic behavior and jump on the opportunity to take the moral high ground as usual. Nevertheless, that safety catch will have been designed to keep the bonnet down in the event of a failure. That's what they are for.

One of my mates was driving on the M4 and a bonnet flew of a car . It went straight over the top of his car and landed in the road . Luckily there was no one behind him , as it was the early hours of the morning . It could have been fatal .

This is what happened when the guy that bought my accident damaged valver decided to drive it to his yard for breaking. It wouldn't close properly, so was held on with just the catch.

IMG_3661.jpg

Edited by seanl82

This is what happened when the guy that bought my accident damaged valver decided to drive it to his yard for breaking. It wouldn't close properly, so was held on with just the catch.

IMG_3661.jpg

those 'safety' catches are solid as a rock then!!! ;)

maybe we should all just rely on them & not bother making sure our cars are road worthy

proves my original point, thanks sean

Indeed it does, I saw the thread when you originally posted it, but had to wait til I was home to be able to post that pic. He laughed afterward, but the bonnet obliterated the windscreen and luckily he was on a quiet road as it could've been fatal to other road users.

Not cool at all, and extremely dangerous.