DGL

Sunroof Carriage - Anyone had one made or repaired?

My understanding is that the part that most commonly breaks on the Corrado sunroof is the nearside (almost never the offside) chromed carriage that connects to the drive cable and carries the lining lift. The pointed nose eventually snaps from the load - mine has.

Once the sunroof was out of the car the mechanism was easy to strip - although I suspect putting it back in line might be a bit more of a trial! - so repairing/replacing just that part could seem a sensible way to go.

The metal is a nasty alloy and the nose seems to be tapered for no reason other than to create a weak point but when you take all the moving bits off the carriage is not a massively complex casting.

Given the VW cable and overhaul kits are no longer available has anyone had a broken carriage welded? Or has there been any group buy on getting some carriages made?

It would be great if someone had done this. Mine was broken in exactly the same place. I decided to do the mk3 golf upgrade, but kept my metal panel roof. Unfortunately 2 months later after half a dozen openings that has broke!! Whilst I had my old one out of the car and in pieces I bonded the broken casting using Q bond. I've never put the sunroof back together yet, but the repair is still in one piece. It's worth a try maybe.

It would be great if someone did a replacement part. Maybe one day

Has anybody got a complete one that they could post a picture of or even let me borrow, then maybe I could get it remade and/or redesigned @ work.

The original was, I believe, made from Zinc Alloy and not the best - Maybe st/steel or a Zinc Plated H/T steel would be better?

Ian.

Has anybody got a complete one that they could post a picture of or even let me borrow, then maybe I could get it remade and/or redesigned @ work.

The original was, I believe, made from Zinc Alloy and not the best - Maybe st/steel or a Zinc Plated H/T steel would be better?

Ian.

i wonder if EKTA has any info on the repair kit that VW used to offer - anyone?

good idea about using a tougher material Ian

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82288[/ATTACH]

I've not had to mess around with my sunroof - which bit on that picture are we talking about?

I think it is 12 & 29, same part but handed for the side but then im not sure

I have found the part in my garage. Vw no. 722 686 877. They break where the cable joins onto the slider part. Bloody things!!!

I have 2 sunroof mech, I need to strip them both out and swap them over next week (one old one new, need to swap them over as one is broken)

Once its all out and swapped, if it helps, you can have what ever is left to pattern if that helps?

I think the nearside cable join is a stress point, it is where most break so the QBond will get a real test!

I have a golf Mk3 sunroof fitted but it has the drawback of not lifting the internal panel when the sunroof just tilts so I am keen to get the Corrado one fixed.

It is part 26 in that diagram - but the diagram does not clearly show the tail where the cable joins and where it breaks! These carriages are a really shoddy piece of kit.

I am on holiday next week so it will need some time to try and sort, but if either Cressa or Grrrallye would let me borrow a complete one I will see what I can do.

Quick question though, are the LH and RH ones a mirror image of one another?

Ian.

Hi. Just took my broken carriage to the nearby precision engineering works. Their view was that whilst a welding repair could be done it would be risky as there is little metal to work with and it is obviously a stress point. The job time was difficult to estimate (should be an hour, could easily be far more)so the cost could vary widely.

They raised the practical issue of getting the rubber mouldings off too, if some carriages were to be made could they use a metal that would not need the rubber coatings on the runners - these are only there to stop rattles I guess.

I think this may be part number 357 877 270 (right) and 357 877 269 (left) and referred to as a toggle catch - if I'm right add me to the list of people looking for this part as I'm sitting looking at the broken pieces from my newly acquired car, but I'm not sure which side it is from!

I think this may be part number 357 877 270 (right) and 357 877 269 (left) and referred to as a toggle catch - if I'm right add me to the list of people looking for this part as I'm sitting looking at the broken pieces from my newly acquired car, but I'm not sure which side it is from!

Interestingly those are different Part Nr's to what Cressa advised in Post#8?

Ian.

The plot thickens!! I have just checked both part numbers on the offending breakable item of mine

N/S 722 686 877

O/S 722 686 878

Hello

Photo of my broken nearside carriage is attached - the part number is 722 686 877.

My thumb is holding the cable and carriage together but the break is clearly shown.

Cheers

David

Aha, in that picture the piece I am referring to is at the top, it is the 'stepped' chrome piece (looks like a handle) - the piece at the very top has snapped off - anyone got a spare??! Regards Red

Despite an extensive search I've yet to find 357 877 269 or 357 877 270 anywhere. Some traders are listing it but when they come to check it is coming up out of stock/obsolete. All very frustrating. Anyone out there with the part of capability to make one, please let me know regards Red