RFvr6

Suspension sits lower at one side...

On my vr6, I am running standard struts all round, with -30mm springs (got the car a few weeks ago this is what I was told) they look to be progressive rated spring so the coil looks tighter at the bottom then more spaced out towards the top, I have noticed that the rear are flipped the opposite way so they are tighter at the top and more spaced out at the bottom.. I will get pictures later to anyone who hasn't seen them before.

Anyway, wheels.. I have Audi TT Comps fitted which are 17" with ET32 and 40 profile tyres (I have heard that anywhere under ET33 is going to scrub).

So the off side front sits about 1 inch lower than the near side and is scrubbing on the arch when I go over big bumps, the arches are freshly painted to I want this sorted asap. The springs aren't broken and there is even a bit of camber on the scrubbing side to try and avoid it a bit.. both wishbones look standard (iv heard aftermarket wishbones are sometimes longer or shorter).

So im wondering if there is any way of adjusting the setup as I cant find any spring with a lower drop, for example -25mm springs on the front would probably do it. is there any way of adjusting the top mounts to raise it a bit, or am I going to have to go down the road of getting new wheels or get the inner surface skimmed:brickwall:

the issue is going to be with the current suspension set up

professionals tell us that you should never run standard shocks with lowering springs. by reducing the travel on the standard shock it can not perform how it is designed & will cause issues.

a proper coilover kit would be your main option to allow you to set the height as you desire whilst allowing the suspension to perform as it should & within its limits

Is one of your struts shot maybe? If they have been used with std springs for years then had shorter springs offered up your strut(s) may be giving up the ghost.

17" wheels are fine on a corrado.

Before doing anything else id get the car off the ground and have a good look at your struts. As for top mounts i'm pretty sure there is no adjustment here.

I'd differ on the wheel size - any cars I've driven that had 17s or larger on them had compromised handling for everyday road use - you really need to set up everything else correctly to get it to behave properly and it's not worth the hassle or expense. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the advice guys, i have seen plenty corrados with 17s so i didn't think that would be a problem, the only thing that bothers me about the wheels is the offset, i see what you mean about the shokie, that's the only thing left that can cause one side to be lower than the other. If the shokie is shot then i may aswel do it properly and get myself a better set up, i know there is plenty threads about suspension so i will have a look, i didn't really want to go down the side of coilovers as i believe you will have to really splash out to get a decent ride

Thanks for the advice guys, i have seen plenty corrados with 17s so i didn't think that would be a problem, the only thing that bothers me about the wheels is the offset, i see what you mean about the shokie, that's the only thing left that can cause one side to be lower than the other. If the shokie is shot then i may aswel do it properly and get myself a better set up, i know there is plenty threads about suspension so i will have a look, i didn't really want to go down the side of coilovers as i believe you will have to really splash out to get a decent ride

indeed for a reputable set of coilovers that will last they are expensive.

however, the suspension is what keeps the wheels in contact with the road & as such is one of the most important areas on a vehicle.

thus if you skimp on it then you will end up suffering. whether that be an awful ride or kit that just falls apart etc or both

if you read the later pages of the suspension thread there are options for bilstein shocks & then springs to suit, they also discuss those options which can give you a static drop. this subject has risen its head many times lately.

what I don't know is the cost difference between the static shock/spring combination & decent coilovers - that would be interesting to assess

good luck with whatever you choose

VRs sit lower on the drivers side due to the weight of the engine on that side and the lighter gearbox on the other on the front and the fuel tank at the rear.

Make sure the tyres are actually the same size (what size are they?) and measure from the centre of the wheel to the top of the arch for comparison.

Valid point Dox. Tyre size is worth checking :)

As for your wheels they should be fine if 7.5" & et 32. Std are 7.5" & et 33 if I remember right.

Mine are 8" & et 35 so would sit a little wider than yours and I have no problems aside from a slight catch when really leaning on the tyres on track. They never catch on the road.

yeah the wheels are 7.5j plenty clearance on the inner arch and a fair bit space between the rim and caliper, the profile or the tyres are 40 each side, i thought about the weight difference on each side but i thought having the gearbox on the left hand side would make the passengers side sag more than the drivers, but if you say its a light gearbox then that explains it.

As for suspension i will do a bit of investigating, i might try and get a set of sport shocks that will go with -30mm springs that's already on it (save a bit of cash), i havnt done any looking at shocks so i don't even know if you can get them separately or if they usually just come with a set of springs.

Are the front wings the correct wider / later ones for the wider track of the VR?

Yes you'll find the rear left tyre catches the front of the arch (and maybe the top). I have the same wheels and tyres size and unfortunately there is no satisfactory solution other than 195 tyres on the back.

Alternatively to cure the rubbing you will need to unweld the inner arch lining, roll the arch and perhaps pull it a bit. Then get the arch rewelded and seam sealed.

Or really avoid dips in the road!

I'm just stirring things here ;) - but you could just put a set of 15 or 16s with the correct fitment on and be done with it. There's nothing wrong with a nice set of Speedlines running 195/50/15 and that is what the car was designed for. Any changes, and the whole suspension geometry will have to be tuned to match to get it right, and possibly arch work as well. That is going to be expensive. I've been through this on three different cars (Golf MkII, Audi Quattro and now the VR6) and I've always ended up going back to stock or nearly stock because I use it as a daily on roads with many different surfaces. It really depends on what you want to use the car for.

/rant over

to be honest I think dropping down a size to 16 is probably the way I'm going to go, I'm happy with how the car handles even if it is running standard shokies on lowered springs, I will be looking for a cheap set of wheels to use through winter so that will be a good test fit, if all is well then al start shopping around for wheels, I reaaaally like my TT comps but I also don't like the price of a new suspension setup:(