Sign in to follow this  
Jim

G60 Hall Sender...

Hi Guys..

I wonder if someone could just indulge me and spend a little time explaining what the hall sender is, where it lives, and what it does? I've read about the hall sender failing quite commonly on a LOT of Corrado G60's and causing a noticable dip in power at around 5000RPM - the problem is more noticable on chipped cars, and it somehow seems to highlight the problem even more.

If indeed it is the hall sender that causes this, I think mine is suffering from it.. don't get me wrong, the power on my car is still triffic, but if its something I can fix to make the engine run better then it has to be worth it.

Anyone?

Ok, hall senders replaced points in the dizzy on a car.

Points were a mechanical switch which opened and closed as the dizzy span letting the electricity get to the coil to provide the spark to the plugs. As you can imagine, points wore out very quickly and were often a PITA to set up and keep setup properly. A Hall sender is basically a small coil of wire which detects a piece of metal going past it, this then sends a very small electrical pulse to an amplifier which then sends the elctrical signal to the coil and onto the plugs to give the spark.

The hall sender lives inside the dizzy on a G60 and isn't replaceable seperately AFAIK, so you need to replace the whole Dizzy... 8)

Hope this helps. 8)

Hm - cheers for that Henny.

I hoped it might be a swap out part, but if the whole dizzy needs replacing then thats a bit of a ball ache, and probably a pricey one at that.

it's also easier to swap the whole dizzy than it would be to try and take out the hall sender... ;)

1x 13mm bolt to undo once you've taken the cap off... twist as you pull and it'll come right out... 8)

mate i wouldnt write off the hall sendor just yet... tell me more about whats happening and we can try and help you.

Well its not actually a big problem or anything, and i've never noticed it whilst driving, but I spotted it on the BHP plot, and i've read about it occuring on lots and lots of other G60's. I noticed it when I had my car dyno'd about 2 months ago at AmD and its just one of those things I am gonna get looked at when I am feeling very flush with cash :)

I've attached a photo of the plot so you can see what I was on about... the weird dip in power just after 5000RPM...

I think the dip is more to do with the chip than anything else, but if you don't notice it on the road then i really wouldn't worry too much.

mine dips about 5k....new dist etc, playing with the co pot changes a tad.....but im fed up messing with it

btw...what spec is that?? it says around 200bhp doesnt it?

if you've already put in a new Dizzy, it could well be a fuelling issue caused by an aging fuel pump... :|

yeah...could well be lots of things, cant really afford to guess at whats wrong anymore

at the time i asked around eveyone swore it was the hall sender...i spose it did improve a bit?

mine dips about 5k....new dist etc, playing with the co pot changes a tad.....but im fed up messing with it

btw...what spec is that?? it says around 200bhp doesnt it?

207BHP & 186lb/ft of the twisty stuff...

what spec??? whos charger rebuild.chip,ic etc???.....never had mine rolling roaded

did they not comment on what the dip could be??....surley they would know if it was lean?

Jabba Stage 4 Charger

68mm Pulley

SNS Stage 5 Chip

Golf G60 Intercooler

Porsche 3.5BAR FPR

Ah yeah, my cat is bypassed too...

I've been thinking about the redtops but I don't really wanna have to drive down to Sussex to have it done ;)

Hm - cheers for that Henny.

I hoped it might be a swap out part, but if the whole dizzy needs replacing then thats a bit of a ball ache, and probably a pricey one at that.

Give me a shout if u need a dizzy :wink:

surley they would know if it was lean?

its not going lean there its going rich..

Hm.. well then I think my car is definately running rich as when I give the car a little stick, it doesn't half pong of fuel sometimes afterwards... is that a timing thing or something to do with my chip Darren?

Oh.. and cheers Steve.. if I do go for it, i'll let you know via PM this time! :p

surley they would know if it was lean?

its not going lean there its going rich..

whats the cure?? my sns chip is suposedly the correct one, infact ive tried a few ..it even did it with the old inj

sorry jim i could not comment on your specific car as rob had all the engine work done by other companys i belive bilal suppiled him direct with the chip.

we have seen this spiking in the past and its deftinatly running rich there . do u know if the car is bleeding boost through the isv at this point too ? could well be the map-sensor reaching its limit and retarting ing timimg slightly at that point..

Hm not sure on that.

BTW - my comment about it running potentially rich was not aimed as a criticism of the work that Rob had done to the car, or any of the kit that was supplied on it by the various tuning companies! I have no idea about the amount of effort that has gone into the car, so apologies if my post was misconstrued in that way! I was just trying to work out what could be causing this power dip, and wondered whether the niff of fuel was related! Vince said that the car was a credit to the work TSR put into it, and i'd have no hesitation reccomending SNS's chips!!

Alas I couldn't say whether its leaking boost.. if you are talking about sensors reaching limits, would the fact that I reached 207.0 BHP precisely on both of my dyno runs point to anything either?

the car is deftiantly a credit to you and its previous owners... the slight problem with your fault is that some g's bleed a lot more than others some will bleed off boost at 1 bar"14.5psi" some like mine dont bleed untill 20psi so this is why some cars have this flat spot on a generic map.. all cars bleed boost this is somthing in the hard code on the ecu it just seems they intended it to be at 1bar just some dont do it .. btw when they bleed the ecu also retarts timing hence runs rich for a sec or two... have a chat with bilal as he now has many differant versions of his s5 map and with the help some wideband data sent to him he could sort you out with a perfect chip that will have less fuel at this point im sure...

sorry to ramble on a bit here. :lol:

No, its not rambling.. its very useful mate. Just a shame I don't understand it :D

jimsG60, May be off-track here a bit but I had a fuel smell problem a few months ago. It was an aged rubber fuel pipe - connecting to the pass side end of the fuel injector rail. Quite short in length, bending upwards through almost 180 degrees & attaching to a valve. The rubber had rotten & cracked with age.