Cressa

Cv joint or not to cv joint?

I have most of the front underside of my car off at the moment. All being nicely replaced or repainted. My concern is my outer cv joints. I wasn't going to replace them (probably because I've never changed one b4, and to cut down on cost) How can I tell if they are worn? I can hold the drive shaft, pull on the joint and it makes a slight 'click' noise. Is this normal/acceptable. I suppose I should just bite the bullet and change them as The car has done 122k.... Just wondering what people's thoughts are? I am replacing the suspension, brakes, bearings, wishbones etc......

Should you decide to go down that route, Euro Car Parts do GKN CV joints which seem to be pretty good and are pretty reasonably priced - listed at £51/each and that's before you apply whatever offer they have on at the moment.

Changed one on my VR a couple of years back and all is still well with it :)

Which ones are you thinking of using. And don't go getting the last ones

Lol ! I haven't got round to buying any yet . I will start looking soon though .

Yeah I might go for these . I have a history for ordering the last set of parts ! . Inc the set of roof rubbers ( before they took ages to get more in ) . I had the last set of a exterior pillars and I've just bagged one of the last rear bumper heat shields .

I also managed to get the heat shield from heritage. I've given it a couple of coats of paint before I fit it, so hopefully it won't fall apart like the previous one. I'm still undecided on the driveshafts, but may very well go for the J and R ones as they're a great price,2 yr warranty and it says oe spec.

I have one of these on my O/S. Its ok, but the driveshaft is just turned steel so corrodes very quickly (just looks a bit unsightly I suppose). Worth getting a bit of paint or powdercoat on to preserve them, but yeah its a great price. I just needed an outer CV boot, but as I find it easier to remove the entire driveshaft to fit them, I just thought why not do the whole lot!

Well I'm happy to give it a coat of paint. Does removing it from the gearbox involve lots of mess...

Well I'm happy to give it a coat of paint. Does removing it from the gearbox involve lots of mess...

Not at all mate. As long as you can get the multi spline bolts out then its really simple. Just remove the large hub nut behind the wheel centre cap, remove the 6 multi spline bolts from the gearbox end of the drive shaft, and it should pull straight out with a gentle tap.

65ef951329fa49a47df1531e70c0911f.jpg

1 painted with black smoothrite, the other about to be done.

Then another coat on both tomorrow.

I'm impressed

Cressa . I'm just about to do mine. Stupid question but beater ask thank ruin them. The central bit is already painted. I'm thinking I should go over this but what about all the end bits. I should blankoff which bits and what shouldn't I paint?

Cressa . I'm just about to do mine. Stupid question but beater ask thank ruin them. The central bit is already painted. I'm thinking I should go over this but what about all the end bits. I should blankoff which bits and what shouldn't I paint?

Dont paint anything else but the bar .

I've just checked my originals that are still here. The longer one is actually thicker. IBelieve the j and r ones are supposed to be made out of a stronger motorsport material (or was that just to sell it to me) so perhaps that is the reason why they are the same diameter