Storm Guy

Replacement Fuel Pump - VR6, 2015 and onwards

So VR has periodivally been making some rapid clicking noises over the past week or so on start up from cold.

Relays seem all OK as well as battery and starter.

Going to work and stalled this morning during rush hour, and then stuck, Turns out is the fuel pump.

TPS say no longer available (VDO / Pierburg) and Classic VW / Heritage say NLA either. So what are the options nowadays - anyone changed to an aftermarket fuel pump recently.

The part number seems to be 1H0919651Q.

HAAS at £113, Bosch at £194 but does not sound like a correct fit from the description.

Please can anyone help with a correct make that might be suitable. I have nt heard of the HAAS part.

The following threads very useful in the replacement how tos but all make reference to part that are sadly now NLA.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?53160-VR6-fuel-pump-removal-problem&highlight=replacing+fuel+pump

New Fuel Pump

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?49602-new-fuel-pump&highlight=replacing+fuel+pump

Fuel sender removal

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?49656-Fuel-sender-removal&highlight=replacing+fuel+pump

Replacing vr6 fuel pump

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?49374-Replacing-VR6-Fuel-Pump&highlight=replacing+fuel+pump

Thanks in advance.

It's just getting harder and harder to keep these fecking things on the road :(

Indeed it is...although after over 11 years trouble free motoring, bar the odd hiccup, I suppose I can't really grumble.

I got a walbro pump fitted at stealth. They could maybe quote you?

Thank you, will give me a call in the morning. Julian from VWHeritage also recommended them. Ta

Check ebay type in the part number.

Thanks - The part number quoted in the OP was the number given by TPS. The actual part number on the pump top, underneath the cover which is held on by 3 screws, is 535 919 051D. It also has 228 225 moulded into it.

I have not actually removed the part as yet so cannot compare with the images.

The 1H0 919 651Q numbers does give some options, but its those compatability tables that seem to give confusing and conflicting answers. The VDO original however looks good - thank you.

Did you get anywhere with this? Considering buying the Bosch pump from Eurocarparts as its easter sale, so about £120.

Have not removed mine to look, but thinking if i order the bosch and it doesn't fit i can always get a refund

Hi bringing this thread back alive guys.

Part Number 1H091651Q

Will this Bosch fuel pump fit a N reg corrado VR6 as it says it is compatible on the table and four bar. Just been reading a few threads off here and a bit confusing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FELICIA-6U-Fuel-Pump-In-tank-1-3-1-6-94-to-02-Bosch-1H0919651H-1H0919651N/332308337350?epid=1341756560&hash=item4d5f1ed2c6:g:wAwAAOSwEBxZbSRq

We are hoping the fuel pump housing and attachments are still ok and just changing the pump. The Bosch pump seems a good price.

After my car has had all the work done its driving like a dream but unfortunately after doing all the exhaust and manifold gaskets, mas sensor,catalytic and 02 sensor (which were leaking or on the way out anyway) after deleting fault codes have reappeared on my V Gate displaying 00561 sporadic mixture adaption exceeded limit which has also triggered fault code 00537 sporadic O2 sensor regulation.

There is no hesitstion or jultness in the engine what so ever and noticeable air leeks.

This leaves us to think injectors which have never been changed or refurbished and there is no history of a new fuel pump. I do plan on going on long trips this year in the Rado so wont begrudge changing these parts.

I take it sporadic means intermittent, basically meaning not so serious but on the way out and will get worse?

Cheers.

Edited by Keyo

It's just a pump, so many different fuel pumps will work, they don't have to be Corrado specific. The issue tends to be the fuel level sender more than the pump since fitment can be an issue. As long as the pump housing fits in the bayonet (mine even floated in the tank for months), and can house the sender, it should work just fine. You can even just buy the pump itself and keep the original housing and so on. If yours is working, and not making noise, I'd leave it alone. However, if you do change it out you may want to have fuel hose from the top hat to the pump on hand, as those tend to fail over time. Often enough they get replaced with regular fuel hose, not designed to be submerged, and turn into a black messy goo.

It's just a pump, so many different fuel pumps will work, they don't have to be Corrado specific. The issue tends to be the fuel level sender more than the pump since fitment can be an issue. As long as the pump housing fits in the bayonet (mine even floated in the tank for months), and can house the sender, it should work just fine. You can even just buy the pump itself and keep the original housing and so on. If yours is working, and not making noise, I'd leave it alone. However, if you do change it out you may want to have fuel hose from the top hat to the pump on hand, as those tend to fail over time. Often enough they get replaced with regular fuel hose, not designed to be submerged, and turn into a black messy goo.

The Bosch pump does come with a bit of a kit and a couple of hoses, like you mentioned its all down to is it compatible with the other fittings in the tank, so I was wondering if anyone had fitted this pump to a late VR6 and had success.I will be changing it because of the fault codes, we have pretty much eliminated everything else apart from the injectors which are also getting done. Could always be a rogue bit of wiring to though I imagine.

Fitting instructions

https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/xlist/80/0986580823IN00WHCOB900.pdf

Cheers.

Edited by Keyo

The Bosch pump does come with a bit of a kit and a couple of hoses, like you mentioned its all down to is it compatible with the other fittings in the tank, so I was wondering if anyone had fitted this pump to a late VR6 and had success.I will be changing it because of the fault codes, we have pretty much eliminated everything else apart from the injectors which are also getting done. Could always be a rogue bit of wiring to though I imagine.

Fitting instructions

Cheers.

Looks just like the one I fitted, bought from ECP, and mine's a May 95 so there's not too many later. Not the most pleasant job you'll ever do, getting the pump assy out of and back into the bayonet fitting on the bottom of the tank wrist deep in fuel! Make sure you get the seal, cover and clamping ring fitted properly on the top of the tank when you're finished, mine was on cross threaded and leaked fuel out the top of the tank when full.

Great stuff TD,

I'll make a note and check the clamp ring is fitted that sounds a unfortunate you had a leak.

Not the most pleasant job for Stealth not me ha ! If it makes you feel better I cahnged a fuel pressure regulator on my drive and did not have the clip lodged on properly, turned the car over and got petrol ****ed all over my driveway . Grrr.

Cheers.

If it makes you feel better I cahnged a fuel pressure regulator on my drive and did not have the clip lodged on properly, turned the car over and got petrol ****ed all over my driveway . Grrr.

Good skills!

Fitting instructions

Cheers.

I also had to resolder the connections from the top hat to the pump. I had a cold solder joint there that was preventing the pump from running. With new solder, new hoses, and a new pump, I'm hoping I don't have to look in there any time soon. We'll see.

What's important for the ABV 2.9 VR6 is that it is a 4 bar pump - and there aren't that many options. I've got a VDO one recently -

part# VDO-E22-041-060Z, and this would be the standard fit on a late VR. Earlier cars had a no longer available Pierburg unit, with a different fuel sender, so when fitting a VDO pump to an early VR you also need to buy the matching fuel gauge sender and float - VDO 221-833-002-011Z.

There's a little bit of rewiring required for the sender terminals. The other pumps are for 2.8 VR engines from the Mk3 Golf etc and are rated at 3 bar.

Oh, and it's also possible to dismantle the "swirl pot", the outer pump unit housing that locks into the bottom of the tank, with the removal of a few Torx screws, and then you can replace just the pump body which sits inside it if you can get hold of one on its own.

Thanks Fen,

On ebay it does not state that it is 4 bar but I investigated further and it is indeed a 4 bar pump apparently, hopefully it will work with the housing , it also has a few extra fittings , VDO is the way forward though agreed.

Edited by Keyo

This is the same pump on ebay from euro carparts but more expensive and says bar 4 on description, I have been on the Bosch product site and it doesn't even mention the bar on the spec sheet for some reason so I have took my reference from them but purchased cheaper off OPIE oils, hope Euro C have got the description correct ha !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Electric-Fuel-Pump-VW-Vento-Transporter-Caravelle-Sharan-Skoda-Seat-Ford/332569407508?epid=249253361&hash=item4d6eae7014:g:1IAAAOSwBJNbVjnf

Cross reference details

FORD 1028808, 1047280, 95VW 9H307 AC, 96VW 9H307 AA

PIERBURG 7.21981.50.0, 7.21981.55.0

SEAT 1H0 919 651 H, 1H0 919 651 N, 1H0 919 651 P, 1H0 919 651 Q

SKODA 6U0 919 051 B, 6U0 919 051 C

VDO E22-041-056Z, E22-041-059Z, E22-041-060Z

VW 1H0 919 054 AK, 1H0 919 054 J, 1H0 919 651 H, 1H0 919 651 N, 1H0 919 651 P, 1H0 919 651 Q, 6U0 919 051 B, 6U0 919 051 C

Edited by Keyo

The VDOs are bloody expensive though. Hopefully you get the correct one - the problem is that a lot of sites just list the one pump as a generic replacement without mentioning the pressure. I'm not really sure what the impact would be of running a 3 bar pump on a 2.9, as long as you had a matching FPR - but it might throw out the ECU map as it would have been tuned to 4 bar pressure.

Agree I want it to be 4 bar. I have fitted a 4 bar fuel pressure regulator and the whole point of me doing it is to get the mixture adaption fault code 00561 deleted for good. I was tempted to get the VDO but it was nearly four times the cost.

I will ring Bosch on Tuesday and try and get it out of them and post on here, also if it is 4 bar post how it went getting it fitted to a VDO housing.

I looked into this a while ago, and the Pierburg pump that came with the car seems to be listed as a 3 bar, 4 bar and 3→4 bar depending on where you look. I doubt you need a 4 bar pump, and even if you find one listed as such, perhaps it is or perhaps it isn't. I don't think VR6 engines require a ton of pressure, and how the pump pressure is listed is also up for debate. Is 3/4 bars referring to a minimum, a maximum, or average pressure? I've never been able to find out and it doesn't seem to matter much as far as I can tell. I was looking at one listing and it said the maximum fuel pressure for the 3 bar pumps was 4 bar, and the maximum for the 4 bar is 3.8?!? So there's not a lot of clarity out there.

Edited by a_riot

Pierburg and VDO were both fitted at different times, in 3 and 4 bar versions. I've pressure tested both a 2.8 AAA and a 2.9 ABV and they run at different nominal pressures, so definitely a 4 bar pump for the 2.9 engines. The engine info sheet from VW for the 2.9 also specifies a 4 bar, as does ETKA. What throws a lot of people off is the info in the Bentley manual - this is for an American spec car, so essentially the same 2.8 engine as the Golf VR6, hence 3 bar.

I'm not really sure why, but I imagine the fuel maps and injector timings would be different to accommodate this and maybe VW were hoping to extract a bit more power from the 2.9 (although later 2.8 OBD2 cars make nearly the same as a stock ABV) - not saying it can't be done, but might need a few other bits to be changed to run right.

I will be contacting Bosch tomorrow, just hope they have a definitive answer whether it is indeed a 4 bar.

I will be contacting Bosch tomorrow, just hope they have a definitive answer whether it is indeed a 4 bar.

I'll be surprised if you get a definitive answer. Here is the excerpt from a Pierburg catalog. You can see a 3 bar pump is listed for the 2.9 engine.

CorradoFuelPumps.jpg