Storm Guy

Replacement Fuel Pump - VR6, 2015 and onwards

Bauhaus thanks. The link shows just the pump but without the associated plastic bits which sit at the bottom of the OE pump. There are are couple of tabs on this, but I can’t figure how to remove it.

I have just figured how to remove the plastic casing. After holding the two tabs in with watch screwdrivers, I was able to pull the pump free, which then left a plastic inner sleeve which simply slid off. Surprised that nothing broke in the process given the age of the pump. Looks like I will get away with getting just the pump.

I have also made an enquiry with Buy Parts on Line and wait to see what they recommend.

I have just figured how to remove the plastic casing. After holding the two tabs in with watch screwdrivers, I was able to pull the pump free, which then left a plastic inner sleeve which simply slid off. Surprised that nothing broke in the process given the age of the pump. Looks like I will get away with getting just the pump.

I have also made an enquiry with Buy Parts on Line and wait to see what they recommend.

Just so you are aware that company is based in Germany but they did deliver my VDO pump within a week to be fair to them , but they can be hit and miss. I would call JP group direct if you can to find out the Bar Pressure, straight out the horses mouth.

Edited by Keyo

Also be aware that if your buying the JP pump with the swirl pot included, the pump alone may not fit your own swirl pot if that's what you intend to do.

Also be aware that if your buying the JP pump with the swirl pot included, the pump alone may not fit your own swirl pot if that's what you intend to do.

I don't think the JP will fit, he will have to fit the new JP pump with its swirl pot and pop on the VDO sender and hope it fits.

I would only go for the J.P. pump and swirl pot if it was a direct replacement. I have emailed J.P. with a parts query.

It wont be because you have a Pierberg pump and sender, you need to ask them is is compatible with your VDO sending unit you have spare. Also what bar is it . The thread says you can no longer get a pump for a pierberg sender, correct me if I'm wrong folks but this was addressed many pages ago by Fend.

It wont be because you have a Pierberg pump and sender, you need to ask them is is compatible with your VDO sending unit you have spare. Also what bar is it . The thread says you can no longer get a pump for a pierberg sender, correct me if I'm wrong folks but this was addressed many pages ago by Fend.

I have a Pierberg fitted at the moment. I also have a spare VDO pump and sender which I have successfully taken apart today. The replacement with a J.P. unit or the replacement of just the VDO pump will be the way ahead :)

I may have to purchase a new pump soon . Its all a bit confusing . Although my VR is an early model i have a second hand later pump , so the float wont be a problem . So the bosch part on ebay is ok ?.

I may have to purchase a new pump soon . Its all a bit confusing . Although my VR is an early model i have a second hand later pump , so the float wont be a problem . So the bosch part on ebay is ok ?.

Yes it seems to be a bit of a minefield. My VR is an early (94) model to which I am going to fit a later pump as I have a VDO sender. Not sure about the Bosch units. These pumps https://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/fuel-pump-for-volkswagen-corrado-vr6-29-p30311-24905-p.asp

have the same part number if you want to swap just the pump?

Edited by VR6 South

Yes it seems to be a bit of a minefield. My VR is an early (94) model to which I am going to fit a later pump as I have a VDO sender. Not sure about the Bosch units. These pumps https://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/fuel-pump-for-volkswagen-corrado-vr6-29-p30311-24905-p.asp

have the same part number if you want to swap just the pump?

Being a 94 I thought you would have had the later style pump ?. I thought they swapped sometime in 93 ?.

Looking at the manual I think the pump is all I need?, as I have the later type sender.

Being a 94 I thought you would have had the later style pump ?. I thought they swapped sometime in 93 ?.

Looking at the manual I think the pump is all I need?, as I have the later type sender.

Mine was almost definitely fitted with an early pump as I have owned the car since it was a few years old. I have opted for the complete pump and swirl pot assembly as it works out over £20 cheaper than the pump alone. Option 2 would be to just replace the pump.

Yes Rob just the pump if you have the late sender.

VW Heritage must of used the VDO sender with their JP pump and sender kit for sale. Not sure why they don't just sell the VDO original set up as you can get it for £191 + Vat and £61 + Vat from VDO HQ Birmingham , this works out cheaper then the JP less quality set up. Rant over.

Yes Rob just the pump if you have the late sender.

VW Heritage must of used the VDO sender with their JP pump and sender kit for sale. Not sure why they don't just sell the VDO original set up as you can get it for £191 + Vat and £61 + Vat from VDO HQ Birmingham , this works out cheaper then the JP less quality set up. Rant over.

Here’s the response from JP regarding the availability of the later pump...

“Hello,

thanks for your mail. Unfortunately we do not have this item in our range.

I apologize for not being able to help

Have a nice day

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Henriette Schultz”

There’s the Bosch pump on eBay for 63.00. But why are the plastic pipes so long ?. I just have the pump and return hose fitting on to the metal tubes on the pump .

Rob I called Bosch about that pump it is 3 bar, no good mate leave alone.

Rob I called Bosch about that pump it is 3 bar, no good mate leave alone.

I may have missed it , but the one I looked at doesn’t mention any bar, not that that’s any good either.

Euro carparts advertised as 4 bar but I was suspicious, called Bosch and hey presto no it is 3 bar do not use.

Edited by Keyo

For me I opted for the original 4 Bar VDO pump , Mister auto off ebay is doing them for £160 I think, or you could give that Farmer Johns special a go.

Whether you buy just the pump with a one year warranty or the Johns unit from Buy Car Parts with a two year warranty, the choice is yours

Whether you buy just the pump with a one year warranty or the Johns unit from Buy Car Parts with a two year warranty, the choice is yours ��

Can we clarify you are fitting the Johns pump with your spare VDO sender VR6 South ? Also when JP said the pump was not suitable was that because it was a 3 bar or because it is not suitable for a Piersberg early pump set up.

Cheers.

Edited by Keyo