Bfstrachan

Dash removal...

Apparently chassis number dependant for which oil, so advised to check with vw for confirmation

When I went to the dealers, they did recommend the green oil based on my car, but when I drained for fitting the new pump it was red that came out? Pretty sure the pump I took of was original, but can't say for definite. Thanks for the help - will look into a little more in the morning...

Distilled/de ionised water is better, and its cheap if you go to the diy/car isle in the supermarket.

top tip, cheers mate

Well, got everything filled and cleared out this morning. Turned the key and started up 1st time with no issues at all :) Took her out for a run and I have lovely hot air and no steering squeal! Temps look a bit on the cool side, gauge is showing around 80, when before it sat at 90. Guessing it will settle in a bit over the next few miles. I am sitting with a rather smug grin on my face - chuffed it's all worked out! Again, big thanks to all for keeping me right along the way!

Well, got everything filled and cleared out this morning. Turned the key and started up 1st time with no issues at all :) Took her out for a run and I have lovely hot air and no steering squeal! Temps look a bit on the cool side, gauge is showing around 80, when before it sat at 90. Guessing it will settle in a bit over the next few miles. I am sitting with a rather smug grin on my face - chuffed it's all worked out! Again, big thanks to all for keeping me right along the way!

winner winner chicken dinner!!

Just got it in for its MOT. Looks like it failed on a dash bulb for the main beam (blue one) not working! Off all the things to fail on...

So, any pointers on how to replace it. Please tell me I'm not taking the dash to bits again!

Not sure where you could get them from, possibly VW. I had some kicking about. The blue one was actually a smaller white one with a blue cap over it. se a screwdriver with a magnetic tip though while you are doing it, you don't want to drop a screw down the dash.

Wullie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83195[/ATTACH]

This is what they look like when unclipped from the panel. Maybe help.

Well, dealer said the bulbs were discontinued last year and there are no old stock to be found either :( What has everyone done to remedy this - are there any alternatives?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83195[/ATTACH]

This is what they look like when unclipped from the panel. Maybe help.

Managed to get the bulb out and yes it's blown. Does the beige plastic holder need to come out for fitting the replacement? Tried to refit the old one, just to see how the replacement would go back in and didn't go well. That was with the holder still in the clocks, which makes me think I need to take it out for refitting?

I took the beige and black parts out as one unit then separated them afterward. The bulbs have to be connected the right way and have one leg with a bend in it to assist this. I reassembled the unit and replaced it as a whole. The bulbs/diode thingys I had lying about, I had picked them up on a visit to a scrapyard at some point. Maybe Maplins or someplace like that could help.

I got a little spooked when I tried to remove the beige part as the blue plastic backing with the circuits seemed to be preventing it from coming away cleanly? Do I just keep pulling till they separate?

Thanks!

It is held in with a clip at either end 5of 2th5e bei20ebit.If you look at the image you will see what I mean. Push them in as you remove it and it should come free.