Cressa

Front suspension

I've fitted some lowering springs to my vr6, and even though they were supposed to be for the later vr6 they don't have the narrower coil spring. So, I've managed to source some wider top spring plates and these are now fitted.

BUT

The top rubber and bearing seem to have a slight sideways tilting movement when fitted. Does this seem right with a lowing spring. Im sure when it is fitted and the weight of the car is down all will be good

So I'm just seeking some reassurance

[ATTACH]84057[/ATTACH][ATTACH]84058[/ATTACH][ATTACH]84059[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There are at least 3 different top spring plates for Corrados

d3d29345dac85168cead39319626b42c.jpg

033125d9b702b17949e78f288e62f39b.jpg

Left is early 16v, middle is early VR 1H0 412 341 and right is late VR 357 412 341A. As you can see there is a slope to them. I assume once the spring is in the correct position on the strut and the top plate is also to its stop then the job should be a good un.

Also the early domed type plate is not compatible with the later smaller top mount and according to Bilstein you can easily distinguish between 'plus' and 'basic' front suspension by the following info

6c920a85e2aedb110647bb7c67c142d1.jpg

Edited by Will.I.Dub

Good info there. All VR's are PLUS btw. They changed the height of the suspension on the later cars.

Thanks gents. Great pictures. I think we should all put some info together and make a stickie of the suspension info so it's all in one place. I spent hours reading lots of posts and trying to gather the correct information

Does anyone have dimensions of the said VR6 plates and if you use the larger dia earlier plate does that not mean the front sits a bit higher than if the late plate was used?

I have some Jom plates that look like late VR plates are said to lower 10mm and was looking to see if they would work with the H&R springs I have.

The ones I have are as shown in this thread half way down in blue - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7814033-Strut-top-mount-GAP

Edited by coullstar

My late model VR plates did not fit my H&R springs, even though they were ordered as late model springs which was a pain, So i had to use the earlier ones and it sits perfect for me. When I used the later spring caps it seemed to sit that little bit higher and didn't seem right to me. I've looked but can't find any measurements, only pictures, sorry. Hopefully someone else can help with this

I fitted the -30mm H&R springs to mine & had the same confusion with the spring plates! Mine is a late VR but I think we ended up using earlier ones as the width of the H&R spring didn't sit correctly in the later type.

Ditto. Mine is the late vr and I too had to get the earlier spring plates. When comparing spring tops I could see straight away the late versions wouldn't me right although I'm sure someone said they managed to use them. Perhaps H&R do have different springs.... I managed to get mine for 80 pounds so want going to complain

I thought I'd read somewhere about that. Perhaps they do different spring models. I had asked for the later spring model but that is what I got !! I did use the late top mounts I had with the early spring plates tho.

Springs are fitted on mine already so what ever was needed is there. Id like to lower by another 10mm or so and have these blue spring plates so was just wondering if they will be any different from the early versions that most people seems to use with the H&R.