Ed21

Building a good gearbox for R32 conversion

I'm sure this has been plenty covered and I honestly have been searching but am getting somewhat confused!! final drives, tdi fifth gears, 02m 6 speed box with altered ratio's/final drives, etc, etc......

I'm getting close to having my respray finished and am starting to look at sourcing the R32/A3/TT donor car but before I do finally buy something I'm wondering whether it's worth looking specifically for a manual car because of already having a gearbox to start with and no dual mass flywheel etc to worry about but also have been told on few times that the final drive with the 02m box will end up with me doing 70mph at 4k and so on...

At the moment i'm leaning towards sticking with the original VR6 box (with maybe adding a lsd) just to get the car on the road and mess about with the gearbox later, god knows the engine conversion and respray will have caused enough hassle and expense by then!!!

So, my question is this: What are people experiences with creating a good workable box for the R32 conversion? Changing ratio's, final drive, 5 speed or 6 speed, all input is appreciated

Cheers....

Why not use your Vr box,gut it,and use an O2a diesel box internals,straight fit,stronger,a higher final drive,put an LSD in,and you'll have a good strong box.Someone had a CTN code box for sale on here a few weeks ago

OR

Eurospec do a six speed conversion for your box !

Here

http://eurospecsport.com/products/transmission/Sport-6spd-transmissions.htm

Edited by dragon green

The 24v engines have a lot lower down torque so the std box might actually suit it well. A lower FD is good, depends what your going to use it for? Track etc or fast road?

Cheers for the advice chaps, I'd love to have the eurospec box but it's quite a investment especially after adding a lsd, the car will be a weekend road toy as it's got so much money going into it that tracking it would worry me too much!