Jim

Faulty thermostat?

Ever since getting my VR6 back I've found a couple of things. Firstly it seems to take an eternity to get up to temperature (like 20 minutes) and even when 'up to temperature', when on a cruise, oil temperature rarely ever seems to make it past about 92-94 degrees.

My memory is hazy but I'm pretty sure VR's warm up pretty quickly, and that even on a low speed cruise, you hit oil temperature in the low hundreds.

My feeling is my thermostat may be stuck open.. does this seem likely? I guess I can check this with a simple feel of the upper and lower pipes out of the radiator when it's next warming up..

I think each car is different Jim . Mine will not go above 75d when driving normally , motor way etc. My oil temp sits around 100d. The only time they rise , is in traffic . The oil will rise when I push her a bit . Mine also takes a while to get to temp .

My car does get to temp pretty quick but not so as to worry. The temp sits at 70 to 75 when driving same Robs really oil temp is around the 100 mark both rising in traffic. The cooling fan comes on on the first speed high 80's. (i fitted new rad 2 years ago)

Should have qualified when I said temperatures I meant oil - that's sitting about 92-94 when driving at a steady 60MPH. Water is probably sat about 75/80. Both rise of course when stationary and the fans start to come on reasonably quickly - within a couple of minutes of being stationary.

Just seemed a little unusual to me as I remember my VR always remember oil sitting about the 100 mark once warmed up though I know I'm on a slightly thinner weight of oil than before currently (5w40) which may account for the slightly lower temps.

Should have qualified when I said temperatures I meant oil - that's sitting about 92-94 when driving at a steady 60MPH. Water is probably sat about 75/80. Both rise of course when stationary and the fans start to come on reasonably quickly - within a couple of minutes of being stationary.

Just seemed a little unusual to me as I remember my VR always remember oil sitting about the 100 mark once warmed up though I know I'm on a slightly thinner weight of oil than before currently (5w40) which may account for the slightly lower temps.

those temps all sound fine Jim & in line with what my VR does post Stealth work

engine warm up time will be effected a little by outside temps but as you say do the rad hose test to check your stat as that will give you peace of mind

FYI my fans come on a lot more post stealth work but i had all 3 water temp sensors changed during it

also, on my VR the oil dash reading is a steady 6 degrees above its actual temp. I know this as Vince did a check for me with a laser temp sensor after id has some haywire readings (which were found to be due to a split wire on the connector for the oil temp sensor)

you may also be experiencing a higher efficiency from your newly rebuilt engine, possibly giving you the slightly lower temps maybe

Worth getting Vagcom on it if you can mate. Mine seems to get to temp quite slowly according to the gauges but when plugged into VCDS it's actually at temp much earlier.

I'm not concerned or anything. Was just idly curious - I'd just noticed the lower temperatures overall :) Thanks for the info folks.

I'm not concerned or anything. Was just idly curious - I'd just noticed the lower temperatures overall :) Thanks for the info folks.

ha ha idly curious - careful with that cat Jim lol

i am terrible for watching my water & oil temps, almost to the point of OCD lol

ha ha idly curious - careful with that cat Jim lol

i am terrible for watching my water & oil temps, almost to the point of OCD lol

Me too, though having an oil cooler/heat exchanger fail in the past resulting in major overheat and HG failure ensures I keep my MFA on oil temp at all times! I didn't notice the high temp until the water level warning lamp started flashing by which point it was too late.

Lets face it though, its not like you'd want to look at MPG in the VR is it! lol.

Me too, though having an oil cooler/heat exchanger fail in the past resulting in major overheat and HG failure ensures I keep my MFA on oil temp at all times! I didn't notice the high temp until the water level warning lamp started flashing by which point it was too late.

Lets face it though, its not like you'd want to look at MPG in the VR is it! lol.

ha ha i keep the MFA on oil temp in the VR too (5 clicks on the MFA button) - not in the valver though

i dont find the MPG output too bad on the VR but then i have only been pottering in it for ages - hopefully that will change once i can have some confidence in the brakes ;)

MPG is kind of a guess in the valver as sometimes it flips to very high readings or 99.9 lol

Low to mid 20s is probably average for me, though taking into account the warm up and the fact I'm now in the City with probably the most hills in all of the UK, I can't expect too much. I'd be a bit upset if I took MPG into account based on power output though. The Beamer isn't too far off in terms of speed, but averaging 45 ish MPG around town is literally double that of the Corrado.

Low to mid 20s is probably average for me, though taking into account the warm up and the fact I'm now in the City with probably the most hills in all of the UK, I can't expect too much. I'd be a bit upset if I took MPG into account based on power output though. The Beamer isn't too far off in terms of speed, but averaging 45 ish MPG around town is literally double that of the Corrado.

blimey! i tend to average out around 28mpg ish over a few thousand miles

MFA reports somewhere between 32 to 34 mpg on my 14 mile journey to/from work but i have seen just over 36

If I reset the trip once warmed up and cruising on the motorway, I do see mid 30s, but most of my previous journeys have been a lot of stop/start town driving. I'm not worried it's over fuelling or anything, I just have a lead foot a bit too often! Lol.