Swompy

Audi S4 and RS4

First of all happy new year everyone.

So yesterday my wife made the fatal mistake of saying "Why don't you get one" whilst I was admiring a nice Audi RS4 Avant. So doing what any car guy would do I went and looked online at some to see what was about and what prices. Turns out they're fairly reasonably priced and so was a few insurance quotes I got back.

So anyone on here had one before and what things to look out for whilst looking at them?

Mate - I hope you've got deep pockets. These are serious not cheap cars to run - the S/RS tax is a known phenomenon! Make sure you do some research on servicing costs and stuff like brakes, etc.

I own a B6 S4 v8 and it's expensive to run.

Drop me a PM if you want to know more.

Make sure you enter into ownership with eyes wide open and make sure you're budget will stretch to the right car with contingency.

I think the big thing on them is clutch and timing chains. Am sure i read its an expensive job.

Based on my experience of the BBK engine'd S4.

- You need to use a high quality motor oil and there is 9.5L in the sump so an oil change is circa £100. They burn a-lot of oil esp if driven in town. The also leak oil (valve rocker gaskets are the main culprit).

- The timing belt tensioners wear leading to a rattle at cold / warm start up. This is common. There are 4 chains & numerous tensioners. It's an engine out job to replace. Parts are around £1600 (from memory).

- The variable cam timing gear can wear causing a timing error code. I don't recall if these can be replaced in situ. Replacement parts are expensive.

- There are oil check valves in the v that tend to fail open allowing the oil to drain from the head to the sump. Not overly expensive fix but time consuming as the inlet manifold etc needs to be removed. These go along way to tame the start up rattle.

- The flap mechanism in the variable inlet manifolds have a habit of seizing.

- B6 / B7 brakes are cheap (circa £250 to do the discs / pads). RS are not.

- The dual mass flywheel fails and is around £600 + clutch + labour. Look for a vibration around 2.5K when stationary in neutral.

- The drive by wire throttle is not great which can make it a bit twitchy around town. That said it will pull from 20 mph in 6th.

- The comfort control modules are under the passenger footwell carpet and it's not unusual for these it suffer water ingress.

- The original Audi exhaust makes the V8 sound like a 1.8T so a Miltek is a must but it booms at motor way speeds.

- The fuel economy is terrible. I manage a combined figure of low 20's high teens.

....and there's more

Edited by marks2

From what I've seen on research the running costs aren't too bad considering the car. Certain jobs cost more on then which is expected. Fuel costs won't be a big issue as I won't be doing that many miles for work.

Are we talking the b5 v6 or b7 v8 rs4?

Had an b5 s4 that was plagued with boost leaks due to the twin turbos, same as rs4, also the steering is shocking compared to a simple corrado, proper wooden and crap, b7 is supposed to be very good but still pretty typical audi in the handling department.

One thing i learned with flagship rs or m cars is that everything's just stupidly more expensive than it should be. And there's no point going cheap on things like brakes/bushes or tyres as they just don't drive right with the wrong bits on.

Aren't the brakes on the v8 rs4 £1000 all in to replace? rear discs cost me £340 on my m3 not to mention loads of other bits and i think i was into around £4000 when i sold it just to get it where it should be.

Also the inlet manifolds coke up with carbon which is a grand to sort, and i've heard the active dampers fail and are silly money so owners go down the bilstein route.

Was looking at these myself and i'd be looking for all the above sorted and a set of four good tyres to start off with.

But the most important thing is the misses has said get one right?! so ignore all of the above and go buy the first one you see:-)

Thanks for all the info guys.

I have seen sense and I have purchased a Octavia VRS instead. Will be picking it up Friday.

I'll leave owning a RS4 or S4 till when I'm earning alot more money

Don't leave it to late. B5's price on the up and B7's have bottomed out. It won't be cheaper to buy one and there not going to get less to maintain.

There is an RS tax associated with them but on the whole there not that bad to maintain. Most will have had the big bill items replaced now as most are enthusiast owned.

VRS is a very good car, the wife has one. Not an RS though....