Cluffstarr

First Corrado - Finally! - Dark Blue VR6

ha ha that is a common 'fix' m8 LOL
And probably more sturdy than the original two 'funny' clips!! It's great what you can

pick up on from here sometimes!!

Evening all,

Started making preliminary investigations into the cooling issues tonight. No fuses blown so I decided to find how to get at the radiator temp sensor for the fans as I wanted to order one as a first point to try on the weekend. There was a tie holding the cable to part of the headlight loom and I thought it was just a normal cable tie but seems it was one clipped to the internal panelwork that you can undo and re-use (didn't notice at the time - too keen!). So need a replacement for the photographed below - not important at all but would like to keep this thing as stock as possible. Any ideas where to source?

Heading to the Haynes Motor Museum breakfast meet in it on SUnday and then hopefully my mate will help me diagnose the issue (praying for a dry day!)

Cluffy

Well I have to say I have no idea what is going on with my car's cooling...

Tonight I went out to get some fuel and take a bit of a drive. Oil temp hit 114 but the coolant settled bang on 100 even at traffic lights (no fans on). Once home, the fans still weren't on and they didn't kick in even when I removed the ignition key (as they did the other day).

Oh and the kicker was that I learned the central locking isn't working properly so couldn't get the fuel flap open - I know there's a manual override but it was dark at the garage and didn't want to damage anything so that's another job to look in to at the weekend - will do a search on here - anyone recommend any threads??

Really hoping to shed light on it all and learn more about this motor on the weekend!

Well today I replaced my thermostat and coolant... To no effect...! I checked the old stat in a pot of boiling water and it was fine. I did notice on bleeding the system (letting it run up to temp with the cap off the expansion tank) that the bottom hose was cold (a lot of people on here had same symptoms fixed by a new stat - so obviously not that...!). After squeezing it a bit, it seemed to warm a little but the oil and temp readings were very much higher than I'd like, so a few questions:

1) Would a backflush help shift anything lodged in the lower part of the rad or is that just wishful thinking...?

2) Could the water pump be on its way out, not being man enough to get the coolant around the waterways?

3) Does the aux water pump only help the cooling when the ignition is switched off or does it run all the time too?

Many thanks in advance from a very frustrated Cluffy!

Aux.pump runs constantly when the ignition is switched on. I would suggest taking out the main water pump as my impellers were none existent. ..gone somewhere. Flushed it and it was lots and lots better

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Aux.pump runs constantly when the ignition is switched on. I would suggest taking out the main water pump as my impellers were none existent. ..gone somewhere. Flushed it and it was lots and lots better

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think that's my next port of call... Have seen it's may be a bugger of a job having to disconnect the drive shaft and engine mounts??

Oh fun!

Evening all,

I spent most of the day working on my motors. A mate helped me to back flush the whole cooling system of the Corrado as it was the last option before me concluding that the waterpump needed replacement. Happily on an extended test drive it appears to have fixed the issue I was having!! :)

Coolant didn't go above 90 on the dial - infact, it sat around 85 when pushing on and the highest on the oil was 102. Clearly the waterways or radiator were a little clogged...

But it appears I'm not out of the woods yet with the overall cooling, as when I got back home I left the car running to check the operation of the fans. I replaced the fan temp sensor as I had bought one recently and it was easy to fit with the hoses off when flushing. However I noticed what looked like scorching / burn marking on the connector on the loom.

Sure enough, absolutely nothing doing with the car sat stationery, ie no stage 1/2. The temperature of the coolant (dial) crept up to 110/115 while static at which point the fans both kicked on. I assume this was the 115 degree sensor triggering the stage 3 from the stat housing.

Anyone with similar experience?? - I'm about to have a good search on here but having checked the fuses (all OK) I think I may need at the least a bit or replacement loom and perhaps a new fan relay switch / box that sits in front of the coolant expansion tank...

A good day all round though as I replaced a broken wing mirror and painted the alloy wheels on my other car. But the best bit is I am now happy to go for a decent distance in the Corrado without the worry!!

Cluffy

Edited by Cluffstarr

Evening all,

Spent the morning working on swapping the Rocker Cover Gasket only to have it turn out that what I have received will not fit my engine. Are the gaskets different between 2.8 and 2.9VR6s? I (perhaps foolishly) ordered a cheapish one but it was advertised as Corrado and not 'will also fit Corrado' or other such wording... Anyway, I managed to drop one of the 10mm nuts into the depths of the engine bay somewhere and I just can not find it so would like to get a couple of spares... Will TPS do them or is the car too old?

Also, I think I might replace the Inlet Manifold Gasket while it's off. Any recommended suppliers?

Many thanks in advance,

Cluffy

There are 2 types of cam cover, early Metal alloy or later type, 95-96 plastic cover and they have different gaskets

There are 2 types of cam cover, early Metal alloy or later type, 95-96 plastic cover and they have different gaskets

Ah that's good to know. Mine is the metal one and the EBay ad was 1991 - 1995 so should assume correct but obviously not. The one that was on there (and leaking badly!) was quite flat whereas the one I received had a seam all the way around that looks as though it fits into a slot on the cylinder head (of whatever it's suppose to fit correctly to!).

Hope they respond early this week.

Cluffy

Evening All,

Finally received some new bits this week so have been working on putting things back together again today. New rocker gasket and middle inlet manifold gasket with new bolts. All back together bar the battery back in as it needed a charge.

Also I didn't get the fuel pressure regulator small hose back on to the manifold as the old clip was damaged I removal. Anyone know what size of replacement clip I need?? The one that came off looks as though it would be a bugger to fit - would love to replace with a jubilee clip if possible but I had none in my garage that were small enough... 8mm??