VR6 Lee

Respray costs

Just out of curiosity how much are you looking at for a full bare metal respray.

I think this is my next job on the Corrado to bring it up to show class.

Big difference between a blow over and a show quality re-spray. You could get a blow over for a grand, but bare metal at the lower end its more around 2.5k (which is what I paid cash). For a high end one as Chris has mentioned above, and for a show quality one from there up to about 10k.

Do your homework locally and visit many. They'll be happy to show you what they're currently working on, and have a portfolio of previous work if they're any good. You'll know if they're any good by what you see and the feel you get from the place and they're professionalism. I wouldn't scrimp so spend as much as you can afford, although factor in a little extra for any unforseen problems along the way.

I also spent about a grand on new exterior trim and other bits and pieces to tart it up and make it look good on the outside.

I think certainly for a respray of any real calibre you're going to be looking at 4k upwards and that's before you factor in any replacement panels, trim pieces, etc.

As Sean said, do you homework . If you don't it will bite you in the arse. Stripping the car yourself will save you a packet too .

Ah yeah, I did this too, so you'll have to factor in recovery costs to and from the place of your choice. I also had to pay for window removal separately as the place I used out source it.

I always thought paint jobs were over priced until I started the mk1! You could do the prep work yourself but factor in about 12 months and loads and loads of dust and mess.......

I stripped mine down myself and did a lot of the prep work, paid 2K plus costs for glass removal / refit, new screen which cracked coming out and recovery truck from home to paint shop and back. Then start factoring new door, boot, sunroof seals and any badges, trim etc that might get broken and you'll spend 4K without even trying! And as Chris says, it takes ages, I've not been very committed to the cause at times but I'm around three years in since I got serious about getting mine back on the road, moving house in the middle didn't help my case though.

I always thought paint jobs were over priced until I started the mk1! You could do the prep work yourself but factor in about 12 months and loads and loads of dust and mess.......

Oh the dust! Mine is in the spray shop now and I'm dreading the dust! :( gets everywhere

Oh the dust! Mine is in the spray shop now and I'm dreading the dust! :( gets everywhere

What you having done?

Little bits and bats mate. Stone chips on front bumper, mark on rear bumper, arches where tyre caught on track days.... ive lifted it a tad too to avoid future catching

I paid £6000 for mine from Dr Bodyshop in Nottingham. Full respray, windows out, back to bare metal using quality paint. I was very particular with what Bodyshop to use, they have a cracking reputation, there was also another corrado in there, an e type jag, couple of VW busses and an old jaguar xk120.

It's best not to do any prep yourself, any paintshop worth their salt will tell you to leave it as it is so they get a better look and understanding of what condition the car is in, it's easier to see ripples, dents, waves when the surface is still reflective as opposed to matte.

Any seals etc come at an extra cost, my windscreen broke when it was removed as well as the door outer scrapers were damaged.

Any seals etc come at an extra cost, my windscreen broke when it was removed as well as the door outer scrapers were damaged.

And therein lies another problem, passenger door scrapers were obsolete when I was buying all the new bits, I bought a full passenger door from eBay to get a seal that was better than the one I removed before paint. Not checked recently what other seals are still available.