Cluffstarr

Blue 1993 Corrado VR6 in Yeovil, Somerset

Sean’s right, I mentioned it because because the old one if not changed already will essentially be a rubber sack filled with oil.

As for skittish steering I’d start with the easiest and cheapest. - R32 bushes in wishbones, track rod ends, drop links and wishbone ball joints.

I don't think a new gearbox mount will make any difference to the drive or your snatching. If its passed the MOT then it should be perfectly fine, though I'm not entirely sure what it could be. I'm sure Stealth will be able to advise on everything you mention though. Just be careful the bill doesn't start running away with you!

Yes indeed - just looking at the cost of some suspension kits has me wincing a bit.. well a lot actually! I think I might stick with standard and just refresh all the bushes etc. Especially as I know that the rear shocks are good. Don't know how much a new set of standard springs and front struts would be.

I'll speak to Vince once the urgent stuff is sorted...

Sean’s right, I mentioned it because because the old one if not changed already will essentially be a rubber sack filled with oil.

As for skittish steering I’d start with the easiest and cheapest. - R32 bushes in wishbones, track rod ends, drop links and wishbone ball joints.

Just seen your response. The wishbone bushes were advisory on MOT so want to do something with those pretty quick. New ball joints and track rod ends are a good shout. Is it worth (is it easy to get to?) to get to the ARB bushes at the same time as the drop links? Also, the steering rack bushes themselves - has anyone fitted firmer bushes to this or would the advice be to stick with rubber stock ones?

Sorry for so many questions. I would rather know the full picture before committing to a job that I don't know may escalate massively...!

Can anyone confirm what I've read in that Bilstein B4 are equivalent to OE suspension struts?

Cheers.

As I understand it you’re right - B4 OE, B6 sports uprated, B8 shortened sports uprated.

Hi all,

So, the car's off to Stealth on Tuesday. It is using coolant a bit (or leaking it somewhere that I can't see/no patches on the drive...!) and also when the engine is hot (100 degrees or so as fan stage 1/2 doesn't work-another thing for stealth), wen stationary, the revs fluctuate by +/- 100rpm every couple of seconds...!

Anyone had these symptoms together before?? I have cleaned the ISV...

Cluffy

Got the car back. Apparently four of the six HT leads weren't seated properly!!! Vince didn't hold the eBay Plug lead removal/replacement tool in high regard..! Simple fix but while in he had a good look at the car and the ABS rings on the back need replacing as do a lambda sensor and a knock sensor so it's ack there next week for a fair few quids worth of work. Drives really well now though - at least in terms of power :)

Evening All,

A bit premature saying the car drives really well... The problem is still there. Vince has it back next Wednesday to change those sensors. It does run a bit more cleanly on light throttle loads but hoof it in second and it still accelerates, hesitates, goes again, hesitates.... And if it's wide open throttle, the car has backfired a couple of times... Not nice...

Anyone had these issues before in relation to either of the sensors I have to have replaced? A lambda and a knock sensor...?

Cheers all,

Cluffy

sorry mate, I should have offered it up sooner. I'm not too far from you and as my car is off the road for the foreseeable future, you could have come round mine and done a bit of a swap with your parts to see what it could be before forking out. The offer is still there whenever you nee it though. Its been about 18 months since mine was on the road, but it ran perfectly before that so you're welcome to try parts etc whenever you want. :thumbleft:

sorry mate, I should have offered it up sooner. I'm not too far from you and as my car is off the road for the foreseeable future, you could have come round mine and done a bit of a swap with your parts to see what it could be before forking out. The offer is still there whenever you nee it though. Its been about 18 months since mine was on the road, but it ran perfectly before that so you're welcome to try parts etc whenever you want. :thumbleft:

Hi Sean,

Thanks very much for the offer! I will certainly take you up on that, should these new sensors not sort things. As I say, Stealth have it on Wednesday but just for the day as I need to drive back to Yeovil on that evening. If it's not sorted after that, I'll definitely get in contact about coming across your way... Swapping leads, coil, MAF could all see things be sorted.

I found today that if I pushed hard on five of the six HT leads at the coil end they would click as if they weren't seated right. It made no difference but I don't know how happy I am with the current (new) set of leads that I bought from AVS (http://www.vwspares.co.uk/).

Hi all,

Today I had the opportunity to pull the spark plugs out just to see if there was anything obviously wrong with those and found that plugs 2 (front bank LHS) and 5 (rear bank RHS) were wet with oil, as were the HT lead connector, with a sticky residue about an inch up the HT lead on the number 2 one. Anyone else had this before? Worried about my piston rings etc...!

Cluffy

Kieran, sounds more like the rocker gasket leaking to me. Won't be anything internal as you'd see poor plug electrodes. Where the oil is sounds like its external. Worth keeping an eye on, but most likely not a big issue mate and a gasket replacement should cure it.

Kieran, sounds more like the rocker gasket leaking to me. Won't be anything internal as you'd see poor plug electrodes. Where the oil is sounds like its external. Worth keeping an eye on, but most likely not a big issue mate and a gasket replacement should cure it.

Hi Mate,

Done the rocker gasket last summer so not sure it's that. Unless I made a hash of it (always possible!!)

Afternoon All,

Sean has sent me through some bits to try in my pursuit of the misfire issue I have.

Should the problem be sorted as mentioned previous, next up is suspension / trying to tighten up the handling a little. I've not got an endless budget for this, so while B16 coilovers would be great, they'd be more than I have to spend on the entire refurb! I don't know anything about the quality of the cheap coilover kits you see on eBay for around the £400 mark...?

The car has recent standard (3k miles old) rear shocks. I need to replace front wishbone bushes and front top mounts for MOT advisories. I'm leaning toward replacing the front shocks with standard new ones and putting new springs on (as well as any bump stops / dust covers etc that look knackered when I get in there as they're not too much money...). Has anyone fitted standard shocks with some shorter springs? I'm happy to put new standard springs. However, I'd like to knock off an inch or so if I can but researching this I've not found anyone one really doing this with most people putting in expensive (to me!) coilovers.

Thoughts welcome - I need money for some metal work and paint. If not, I may have gone to town on the suspension...!

Cheers all, Cluffy

I've not used AP coilovers myself, but they have a decent reputation and that's exactly what I would fit if I needed a set :)

I've not used AP coilovers myself, but they have a decent reputation and that's exactly what I would fit if I needed a set :)

Yeah - just been reading a couple of threads. I'm going to see what Stealth recommend. I dont want to ruin the ride but I would like to drop the car a smidge. A set of Eibach shorter dprings seem to be about £140 and new front shocks about £60 each so that's £260 all in versus about £380 for the coilovers.

Back to the misfire / rough running issue and I fitted Sean's HT leads today and after a run I'm very confident that has sorted the problem!

Can anyone advise on whether they've bought the handmade 8mm/8.5mm from the chappy off eBay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUE-8MM-PERFORMANCE-IGNITION-LEADS-FOR-OBD1-VW-GOLF-CORRADO-VR6-PASSAT-QUALITY/121359037771?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dc70290d215544101b88754accacaf154%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D111376024327%26itm%3D121359037771&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A20e09f5a-92a9-11e8-895a-74dbd1800b0a%7Cparentrq%3Ae2b0781b1640ab455a2007eafffc25e3%7Ciid%3A1

A lot less than a set of Magnecor leads and having a rough running car with an "OEM" set from vwspares recently, I want to go with something substantial for the spark for the car...

Cheers!

Evening All,

I've been doing a bit of interior work on the car recently. I've had both of the C Pillar covers off to repair them as the vinyl was peeling. Anyway, in removing the rear speaker covers I needed to remove the plastic split pieces of trim that go around the rear seat belt (535868527/8). They screw in through the edge of the back door cards but I appear to have lost both captive elements for the screws to drive in to... Can anyone help or know where get these from? I'm sure I just need a generic captive fastener - can anyone confirm the size? I'd put up a picture but I have issues with Photobucket and this site at the minute...

Also, I took my door cards off for a couple of repairs and on one side I have some tiny screw head covers. Very neat (don't know if they are OEM?). Anyway, I'd like to get some more to do both sides when I put the cards back on. If they are OEM can someone tell me where I can get them from? I've had a bit of a look online to no avail...

Cheers all, Cluffy

VW Heritage are probably going to be your best bet for the 'correct' fastener.

As you said, you can work around it for sure, but worth a look first :)

Evening All,

Managed to find some fasteners that would do the job so just waiting for delivery. Hope to have these bits done soon.

In my quest to sort these niggly broken things, I now need to sort the boot light. The light hasn't worked since I got the car. I thought it was just some poor wiring bodge but I've pulled it out tonight and found a red wire and black+grey wires taped together. Removing the tape I've found that the red and black wires have crimped connectors on them that will fit on the light housing (the grey wire is taped up on the end separately) but when I connect these up (leaving the grey wire hanging, the light still doesn't work (with a new bulb in just in case). Does anyone have a wiring diagram or can anyone explain to me what the three wires should do/how it should fit together??

Cheers in advance,

Cluffy

I've just checked mine. I only have a single red wire and a single grey wire.

OK thanks, I'd take a more detailed look in the daylight over the weekend! Looks like I either have a bodge (that doesn't work!!) or there has been another wire added in place of the grey one and perhaps the tailgate switch no longer works...

Alarm guys sometimes run a wire to the bulb in the boot so it trips the alarm when the hatch is opened

Evening All,

My car is off the road again and up on stands (for a variety of reasons - joy!)

Anyway, today I tried getting the front splitter off as I have a replacement to go on. However some of the screws are seized. I'll get them off by drilling / extracting etc... Does anyone know if the correct size screw and locater/clip are available to buy? I had a look at the Bentley Manual but didn't easily find a part number. I guess any screw and clip combo will do but you know with OEM that it'll definitely fit...!

Cheers all,

Cluffy

Are you on about the ones near the engine at tha back of the bumper. If so they screw into a curved special bracket I think the bolts have a 10mm head on them. I got one of the brackets last year from heritage. Lilfuzzer on heat will no doubt have some of the bolts they aren’t your average shape or look.