Jim Bowen

DIY Front wheel bearings?

Need to sort out a bearing on the front of car, i had it done a while back but i have suspicions they just tightened it and didn't change it, but charged me as if they had changed it.

What sort of press do i need? Thinking of buying one so i can do something like this at home.

Not sure the front wheel bearings can be tightened as they're not tapered?

If its the same as the Golf which I imagine it is you'll need something like this:-

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-csa10bb-10-tonne-bench-press/

Use the old bearing as a drift on the edge of the new one so as not to knacker it getting it in ;)

Might be easier/cheaper to get a garage to press the new bearings in if you get them all off and ready.

Not sure the front wheel bearings can be tightened as they're not tapered?

If its the same as the Golf which I imagine it is you'll need something like this:-

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-csa10bb-10-tonne-bench-press/

Use the old bearing as a drift on the edge of the new one so as not to knacker it getting it in ;)

Might be easier/cheaper to get a garage to press the new bearings in if you get them all off and ready.

Cheers, more expensive than i thought. Maybe you are right, i just take it all apart and get them to press it in.

Snap

C69866EE-071E-47D8-85CF-20E34A0527B4.jpg

I think mines a bit taller than that? I've modified it to hold a quick release clip on shelf at the bottom that my mig sits on and a similar set up above using a Metro rim to wind my compressor hose around as it gets so little use as a press.

I think mines a bit taller than that? I've modified it to hold a quick release clip on shelf at the bottom that my mig sits on and a similar set up above using a Metro rim to wind my compressor hose around as it gets so little use as a press.

Wouldn't mind seeing those mods mate. I think mine will either end up on castors or chopped down to fit on the bench.

Wouldn't mind seeing those mods mate. I think mine will either end up on castors or chopped down to fit on the bench.

I'll get a pic tomorrow, nothing fancy, just used offcuts of box section, an old dexion shelf and an abandoned Metro wheel.

Found some on my phone

495f72134935dda7dc4d8aa52f4d7ce9.jpg

5689e1ef099e3d2751302e09a5f9ef4a.jpg

0f1bafdfd52077e078a7a6272c5b3a49.jpg

1a63894fe1cc8eb1549ecf25e3ff59e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your feeling lazy and can't be bothered going through the whole procedure of pressing out bearings, not knowing if it went well, getting a garage to do it and fuk it up..

No problem Jim, just buy my two 19.000km front Vr hubs complete!!!

You're also better off investing in a bearing press tool kit as it makes life so much easier, and safer.

You're also better off investing in a bearing press tool kit as it makes life so much easier, and safer.

Can you link an example?

I've got this one, it's very basic compared to what else is out there, but so far I've not been defeated as yet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132158957869

Loving your mods btw, all way better than I could make:)

I'm no welder, without a grinder it looks pretty awful TBH. It serves 2 purposes, to store the MIG and hose and it also stops you kicking the angle iron feet - extremely painful if you happen to just catch your little toe! The press is situated by the main entry door.

I bought this one a couple of years ago and has served we well although there are cheaper kits available. The round cylinders really help when pressing the bearing out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23Pc-Front-Wheel-Drive-Bearing-Removal-Installation-Tool-Kit-UK-/201908763630?hash=item2f02b33bee:g:UtwAAOSw~bFWMyBT

Its nice to have a revue :)

My CV was stuck solid in the hub, it bent my 3 leg puller all shapes, I had to remove the CV with the hub and press it out, your kit couldn't do that as it needs a hole for the threaded bar, a nice thing to have though :)