Lucas555501

Another (Older) Newbie

Hello everyone.

I decided to join this forum as I have read lots of great advise over the past few weeks.

I have owned a 1991 1.8 16v for approx. 8 years which has been off the road for the last 6.

Have been working the past 2 months to get it back on the road and now replaced all the main mechanical stuff to get it through the MOT (failed on a couple of things which I'm working on now)

I am realising that parts are getting harder to find even compared to when I first bought the car, but its definitely worth the effort and forums like this really do help.

Thanks all....

Thanks.

I am struggling with the headlights as they failed MOT which appears to be due to reflector being dull and therefore low output and no pattern.

Are there any sensible options to replace the reflectors or headlight units as I have looked with no success?

I will also go with uprated harness and better bulbs but do not know if that will be enough to pass the test due to the condition of the reflectors?

Any help really appreciated...

Thanks.

I am struggling with the headlights as they failed MOT which appears to be due to reflector being dull and therefore low output and no pattern.

Are there any sensible options to replace the reflectors or headlight units as I have looked with no success?

I will also go with uprated harness and better bulbs but do not know if that will be enough to pass the test due to the condition of the reflectors?

Any help really appreciated...

Hi from another Newbie,

You could take headlights apart and sort/replace reflectors. Someone may have spare?

Or throw money at the problem and look at eBay - about £100 for a replacement set of used working headlights (keep/sell the old as spare lenses).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-corrado-headlights-/152627542057?hash=item23894f7829:g:YMEAAOSwXXxZRSRe

There are other sellers offering similar.

Hope that helps

We'll all be in the same boat before too long. If the lens is OK I think the best option is to get the reflectors refurbished. There are a couple of companies in the UK that offer the service.

As soon as you fart near those bloody plastic beam adjusters, they crumble to bits..

Can't find new ones now so before trying to remove the reflector, bear this in mind mate..

You can convert the headlamps to use electric Hella beam adjustment motors that were available as options, you can still manually adjust the beams to a certain extent but if you want them to work off the proper switch on the dash, your gonna have to add the expense of the loom, switch, ball ache of actually feeding the loom through the bulkhead etc..

No more worries about breaking the adjusters though..

And YES, I do have a few motors spare AND the plastic adaptor that's needed to actually attach the motor onto the reflector.