16vMatt

16vMatts 20vt Mk2

So yesterday I was contemplating buying a Mk2 to play with alongside my VR, a day later and I am now the owner of what was originally a 1992 MK2 Golf 1.8 Driver. Now converted to a 1.8T I will post the interesting stuff from the ad below.

Engine:

1.8 20vt from a 2002 Audi A3 (AUM engine code with K03's turbo)

The engine is mounted to a mk3 abf gearbox with a g60 single mass flywheel and vr6 clutch and matching cable shifter

21mm stubby master cylinder

secondary air pump blank kit

mk3 golf vr6 petrol tank and fuel pump

frount mount intercooler and pipes to suit

corrado radiator and twin fans

g60 front hubs and 280mm brakes

adjustable height and damper suspension

team dynamic pro race 3 alloys wrapped in 195/50 prada spec 2s

quick release front bumper

boost gauge/ oil pressure gauge/ water tempt gauge all fitted in a panel we're the head unit would be

custom centre console to fit stereo

New Pioneer front speakers

2.5" exhaust system

running oem management so can still be accessed by vag com for easy diagnosis also running standard clocks for oem look with working tacho box

New upgraded heater matrix

Like new Audi TT front seats

Pics from Ad

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87932[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]87935[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]87938[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]87941[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]87944[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]87947[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]87950[/ATTACH]

Expect more pics and news when I pick it up tuesday itching to get in it

Brilliant. Looks great although I'm not convinced by the back seats. Do you know what power it is running?

Brilliant. Looks great although I'm not convinced by the back seats. Do you know what power it is running?
I know it's the 180bhp engine but no precise figures but it's got a FMIC and an aftermarket exhaust system with De-cat but hasn't been tuned since they've been installed first thing in my to do list is get a custom map done. Back seats are from a MK3 I think

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by 16vMatt

Felt bloody rapid though, haven't driven my VR6 for a few month but this felt like it would give it a run for it money.

Well picked the golf up Tuesday afternoon, had a bit of a mini photoshoot with my mate who's rather handy with a camera. Just been driving it round enjoying it, it's fairly quicker than my VR6 and saw off a Cooper S with ease.

Yesterday I started stripping the rear GTi axle I got given with car. Getting rid of the light layer of crusty metal on the beam and planning to paint it with something to give it some protection thinking maybe just hammerite smooth? Also putting some new wheel bearings in whilst it's off and exposed. Hopefully should be on the car next week as it's currently still got drums on the rear (280mm upgrade on the front).

40a19d5ec52eb8cc976314c0b7a7df0d.jpg6dad552e67e285ff193fc18db251167a.jpg

Decided to to take the tank straps off wire wheel them and just brush some Hammerite smooth on . Not really a task that needed doing as they're no worse than the ones on my VR but just thought it was a little task that I had time to do.

Only me and the Steve the MOT tester will see them but it's the little things that count3f8b8a102f30f86eefc68b285c487a83.jpg

Also ignore the rusty axle I've a spare GTi one I'm currently rebuilding and painting.

Started stripping the GTi axle and getting rid of the loose stuff with a wire wheel on the grinder. Going to give it all a few coats of Hammerite whilst it's all off. Hoping to have the axle on by the end of next weekc5b121f8115c116410a94be8a20ce3c5.jpg

AUM is a 150BHP? I had an Octavia with a revo remap with the AUM and K03s turbo so I can imagine how well the lighter Golf goes (AUQ is 180). Nice project, if it was mine I'd add a GTi front spoiler and a standard looking twin exit back box.

AUM is a 150BHP? I had an Octavia with a revo remap with the AUM and K03s turbo so I can imagine how well the lighter Golf goes (AUQ is 180). Nice project, if it was mine I'd add a GTi front spoiler and a standard looking twin exit back box.
I'd heard different people saying 150/180 from the AUM and from the way it goes I assumed it was the 180bhp, even more impressive that's it's 150bhp just shows how light the mk2 is ( Until I get in it) It's not long had a powerflow exhaust fitted so wasn't going to change that. I'll have a look at a front spoiler but more bothered about changing the box it's one from MK3 GTi and sits at 65mph in 5th at 3000rpm which I'm not fond of.

I'd heard different people saying 150/180 from the AUM and from the way it goes I assumed it was the 180bhp, even more impressive that's it's 150bhp just shows how light the mk2 is ( Until I get in it) It's not long had a powerflow exhaust fitted so wasn't going to change that. I'll have a look at a front spoiler but more bothered about changing the box it's one from MK3 GTi and sits at 65mph in 5th at 3000rpm which I'm not fond of.

Others will know better but I think you can do a TDi 5th gear swap without removing the gearbox (done underneath the passenger wheel arch) for more relaxed cruising.

Others will know better but I think you can do a TDi 5th gear swap without removing the gearbox (done underneath the passenger wheel arch) for more relaxed cruising.
Cheers that's helpful to know I'll have a look into it whilst I remember

I reckon that a bit more info. is needed here,

Those bolts shown in Yanard's excellent write up must be unique to the ASD version of 02A, I've never seen them before, only ever removed the larger Torx bolts so your gonna need that particular tool too, T45 or T50. You MUST heat the units first and make sure that the puller is seated correctly under the syncro ring, otherwise you could damage the ring. Under no circumstances try to pull the gears off by connecting the pulley directly under the fragile gear cog's teeth, they'll chip, guaranteed.

Without the proper Kukko Vw puller, it's very easy to chip the fine gear teeth. Make dam sure that you select 1st and 5th gear to lock the gear shafts, the shafts MUST not move in either direction, not even a bit, if they do and whilst your trying to undo the tight fixing bolts you could chip off a tooth from the gear wheels..

Lastly, very important when rebuilding the 5th gear hub that the detent springs inside the syncro don't get dislodged from the recesses inside the small detent fingers located inside the syncro hub itself, the outer spring is easy to see as it's right in your line of site, but the inner spring isn't..what happens is that when you engage 5th, the finger gets pulled too far forward and over steps the retaining spring, always check this before closing the outer cover, if that detent finger comes out whilst your driving the car at speed..

Almost forgot, another thing to watch is when your tightening the 5th hub part that has the syncro, keep checking that the syncro hub's 3 aligning teeth haven't moved out of line with the cut outs on the syncro hub itself, if you don't keep an eye on this the syncro will be pressed down but you'll have to pull it all off again as the syncro won't work 'cos it's teeth aren't engaging.

Hope this lot helps, take your time and don't rush.

Both pretty much the same engine, it would be more dependent on what ECU you are running 150/180

From memory, only the anni mk4, skoda vrs, Seat leon cupra (not R) and a couple of Audis used the 180 versions all other k03s would have been 150.

Get it mapped ;) with a decat exhaust you should see about 225, then you can have some fun.

Both pretty much the same engine, it would be more dependent on what ECU you are running 150/180

From memory, only the anni mk4, skoda vrs, Seat leon cupra (not R) and a couple of Audis used the 180 versions all other k03s would have been 150.

Get it mapped ;) with a decat exhaust you should see about 225, then you can have some fun.

Mine came from a 2002 A3, it's already got mods (De-cat, exhaust, front mount intercooler) to be mapped just not sure where to take it.

AUM is 150bhp AUQ is the 180 motor ;)

Purely the map, both ran the KO3S turbo.

I'd say Jabba Sport for the remap....

Edited by Geeba

First problem had arisen the boot won't click shut it's just bounces back. Obviously the mechanism isn't clicking into place anyone know if it's possible to get behind it and make it close manually.

AUM is 150bhp AUQ is the 180 motor ;)

Purely the map, both ran the KO3S turbo.

I'd say Jabba Sport for the remap....

Just looked Jabbasport is over 3 hours away for me but thanks anyways

Fixed the boot catch and just now another problem has occured, my oil pressure has dropped significantly. The car hasn't used/lost any oil and I can't see any noticeable blown hoses or anything obvious which could've caused this. Any pointers from a 1.8t wizard?248b1b2e8e9bb30cd90469c12b7ae171.jpg

Is the oil warning light showing on the dash and any warning buzzers going off?

If not and it's only showing low on that gauge it could just be faulty wiring to/from the gauge

These engines suffer from oil starvation, the oil pick up pipe causes it, common problem with the 18t engine, sump off and replace the pick up pipe if this is the problem