harrisvr6

1993 VR6 Radiator Info And Replacement proceedure.

Hi my radiator is leaking and needs replacing.

I have seen an all-metal ones online and was wondering if anyone has this fitted and if they would reccommend this, or get the VW one which looks to be plastic and metal?

My main concern is if it directly fits without too much faffing about compared to the VW one.

When it comes to fitting is there a particular procedure to follow, will I need any specific tools etc and is there anything to be weary of / look for specifically while its all out?

Thanks

Hope everything has been off recently before. I took all my front end off to do it. Bumper and slam panel, took about 2 hours for that lot and it was easy after that. Don’t forget to get a new radiator switch/sender and O ring and a new top hose elbow with o ring. I used a hella/VW radiator it fitted great after removing a bracket thing You didn’t need to get the fan housing to fit, check condition of this as well you may need a new one from classic parts if it’s rusted too bad.

Good luck

Shaun

Yeah, front end has to come off for access - it's not too bad. Once you've got that far it would be a good idea to check the condition of the plastic pipe from the water pump and the thermostat housing and replace them if necessary. It's also really easy to get to the coolant hoses on the oil cooler and replace the seals to the block there, as they often go bad - it's worth trying to do as much as you can once you're in there as there is nothing worse than having to remove everything again later.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend, hopefully it all goes to plan. Am I right in assuming you need to buy the top elbow to get the Oring, or can you get separate?

I'm going to do the oil coooler aswell, does anyone know if these O rings are for the thermostat/housing or the oil cooler?

The one on the right is slightly rectangular approx4-5mm thick and the one on the left is approx 3-4mm thick an circular.

I bought these some time ago and cant remember if they were for the oil cooler or the thermostat/housing?

The one on the left is for the oil cooler - not sure about the one on the right. You can buy the rad elbow and o-ring separately, but best to replace both when fitting a new rad because the plastic can warp over time so that it doesn't seal properly any more.

Thanks for confirming, at least that's a relief, I had a feeling the one with the tabs was for the cooler but the square one I thought might have been to sit against the thermostat.

I went to order the radiator today at TPS and they said it was discontinued :-(

Can you advise me on what one to get, there is this one at VW Heritage (which looks like the one I have already I think, I'm not sure if its a proper VW one though, it only says good quality haha) for £185.

https://www.vwheritage.com/535121251e-radiator-vr6-vw-spare

Or at Allparts they have one for £105+vat. Are there any makes which are best to avoid and I'll inquire more about this option.

I've also seen an all alu one which has the top elbow built in on ebay like this (but I'm worried this might not be a direct fit & If I'll have to 'make the fans fit' it's all over for this one. But I like that its all metal)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminum-Alloy-Radiator-for-VW-Golf-2-Corrado-VR6-Turbo/272097660259?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3De35392c6e35b465491b01f82d9d4809f%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D262229829785&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

What do you think.

1xshaunx1 - Where did you get your VW/Hella one from?

I've just purchased a 1994 VR6 Hella Rad from fast Rads in Newport £103 free delivery and it came from Germany. Service was good but I rung up first just to ensure what make it was first very helpful staff.

Ron

Yeah, I got a Hella one from adrad.co.uk as well. Some of the suppliers can change - Valeo is a common one as well. The heavy duty aluminium one with integral elbow looks interesting, but there might be some modifications involved in getting it to fit - it would be interesting to hear from someone who has one fitted.

While on the subject

In the middle of refurbish of engine bay but following dismantle radiator fan cowling have plastic guide rings x 2 part number 357 121 210 which have broken into pieces now need 2 to refit. Help required for good replacements.

If they are the fan guides then I think they can still be got from the dealer or Heritage/Classic Parts. I got several a few years back and they weren't too expensive.

Yeah I got some a couple of years ago and they were pretty cheap mate. The belt fo the fans was still available at the time as well.

I've just been paid so hopefully order tomorrow, gonna have to find a hella one. Got a quote for the heater matrix from tps and that was £220, is it worth risking getting an aftermarket one? I'm not looking to change this just yet but if it could be discontinued soon I may get it now.

Some will be along correct me so take this with a pinch of salt... thought the golf mk3 matrix was a better option it had all the pressure issues sorted out on it.

I couldn’t get the plastic cowlings for mine they were obsolete although you can still get the fan housing through classic parts via heritage.

I've just been paid so hopefully order tomorrow, gonna have to find a hella one. Got a quote for the heater matrix from tps and that was £220, is it worth risking getting an aftermarket one? I'm not looking to change this just yet but if it could be discontinued soon I may get it now.
Ouch, look on ebay. Genuine Hella still available and for a price you will be happy with after that

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I went to start this yesterday. I got the indicators off nice and easy haha, couldnt figure out if the foglights carefully pry out like the indicators. Got a light and there and there seems to be 2 screws holding these in to the housing/bumper (down these 2 tube bits), these are rusted to hell. They dont even have a bit to put the screwdriver into, its just a rusted metal blob.

Can I get the bumper and radiator off still, by unclipping these as I pull the bumper off (leaving this in place on the bumper). I dont know what to do if these have to come off, If I can get them off they will either be broken or not go back on, probably both... ****.

What about the headlights, these I've not even got to there yet and these look a bit corroded up too, they have a screw bit but they are gonna be a bitch I can tell - can these just be unclipped and just taken off in place with the grill , headlights surround (dunno what its called, main front end).

From the ones I can see, the other screw which looks like its gonna be a bitch is the screw that holds the top elbow onto the rad, but only the front facing one, the back looks pretty new.

An another note, the good news the hella rad looks good, actually better than the one on there. The fins are much closer together and there is about twice as many possibly even 3 times as many, and seeing as the old one basically has NONE at all, it's gotta work a treat once I can get the bloody thing in there..

The rad came from FastRads and was about £108 delivered, as advised I called up first to check it was a hella one and it was delivered the next day.

You can leave the fog lights in, there is a loom connector about a foot along where you can unplug them. The headlights have two screws at the top and another one halfway down the back which is accessible through a hole in the panel above. Use a torch and you will see it. And the grille will need to come out to remove the lights.

If the fogs have another connection that'll be ideal, is that in the engine bay? The screws have had it, also 2x look impossible to get at wit anything but screwdriver.

I got the bottom of the spoiler off ready. the headlights I'm gonna try giving a good soaking as there is a bit of a head there, and don't want to hack at at unless i really have to, probably have to get new screws.

I was hoping I could get all that out intact, oh well.

With regards to the side of the bumper, does this just pull out. Was trying to undo the sides (only) ready, but I didn't wanna break anything. I don't wanna undo the 4x large bolts until i can actually take it all off.

Yeah the sides of the bumper are just slotted into guides so will just slip off when pulled forward. You'll have to take the screws out from the wheel arch liner though. The fog light loom is connected behind the bumper. If you unclip the repeaters you should be able to see where it connects in from. A long phillips screwdriver will allow you to get the two headlight screws out. You'll need to take the grille off first as mentioned.

Remember to support the cross member before removing the 4 bolts too!

I believe the headlights can be left in just unplugged. Have the bolts going through the rad support been mentioned there are 5 or 6 on the chin spoiler these also need to come out