GlosterOx

VR6 Water Cooled Oil Cooler

My car on the motorways has, according to the MFA, an oil temperature a bit too high for my liking.

Question is, do the coolers "clog up", as I have a spare and use of a ramp next weekend so was thinking of swapping it over as at least I can eliminate that then?

Cheers,

Ian.

How high we talking?

Also didn't think the coolers ever needed replacing unless they were damaged?

About 116 > 118C after a good thrash down the motorway, this was back in November with low ambient outside temperatures.

Ian.

Don't think that's unusual myself, but then mine could be clogged up too...

It's within a couple of % of the numbers I sometimes see on long high speed runs, and these sensors are rarely more accurate than that.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

About 116 > 118C after a good thrash down the motorway, this was back in November with low ambient outside temperatures.

Ian.

hi ian

i had very odd oil temp readings when my VR was in with stealth - long story short, vince checked the temps at the oil temp sensor with a laser pointer jobbie & it was consistently 6 degrees lower than the reading reported on the mfa

i wouldnt worry with the temps you have as long as they go nicely after the thrash all should be ok i would have thought

Kev Bacon was a bit of a whizz with temps & from memory of conversations with him im fairly sure he would agree

however - i do know that with our VR engines specifically i had been told never to use a product like rad seal as that can end up blocking the very small channels in which the water flows for cooling

oil cooler could be suspect but AFAIK they either work or dont, rather than gradually get worse

What oil are you using? When i switched from castrol 10w-40 semi to the fuchs titan super duper stuff 10w-50 my oil temps went up abit and take longer to come back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What oil are you using? When i switched from castrol 10w-40 semi to the fuchs titan super duper stuff 10w-50 my oil temps went up abit and take longer to come back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the same oil.

hi ian

i had very odd oil temp readings when my VR was in with stealth - long story short, vince checked the temps at the oil temp sensor with a laser pointer jobbie & it was consistently 6 degrees lower than the reading reported on the mfa

i wouldnt worry with the temps you have as long as they go nicely after the thrash all should be ok i would have thought

Kev Bacon was a bit of a whizz with temps & from memory of conversations with him im fairly sure he would agree

however - i do know that with our VR engines specifically i had been told never to use a product like rad seal as that can end up blocking the very small channels in which the water flows for cooling

oil cooler could be suspect but AFAIK they either work or dont, rather than gradually get worse

Cheers,it is obviously working (and not leaking!) so will leave it for the time being. I flushed the rad/system in the summer and put new coolant mix in it so hopefully everything should be OK.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Ian.

My car on the motorways has, according to the MFA, an oil temperature a bit too high for my liking.

Question is, do the coolers "clog up", as I have a spare and use of a ramp next weekend so was thinking of swapping it over as at least I can eliminate that then?

Cheers,

Ian.

As others have said, for one to clog up, you'd have to be doing something really wrong I would think. That said, it is a heat exchanger, so I believe inside it the passageways are very narrow, and could be susceptible to clogging.

I am replacing my oil cooler this week, so I'll see if a new one makes any difference to oil temps. Mine seems to be working fine but I'm replacing a cracked radiator, so am doing the oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler and its gaskets/hoses while its all in easy reach. I don't think mine is having any issues, but I'll replace it with a new Nissens one and keep the old one as a spare if it tests ok and doesn't leak.

As others have said, for one to clog up, you'd have to be doing something really wrong I would think. That said, it is a heat exchanger, so I believe inside it the passageways are very narrow, and could be susceptible to clogging.

I am replacing my oil cooler this week, so I'll see if a new one makes any difference to oil temps. Mine seems to be working fine but I'm replacing a cracked radiator, so am doing the oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler and its gaskets/hoses while its all in easy reach. I don't think mine is having any issues, but I'll replace it with a new Nissens one and keep the old one as a spare if it tests ok and doesn't leak.

Be interested if it makes any difference, let me know?

Ian.

Hi Ian

as stated above the temp you are recording are not that high I have seen plus 130 on hard drive so for the temps you are recording I wouldnt worry

Be interested if it makes any difference, let me know?

Ian.

Made no difference that I can tell. A new radiator sure did though. Once it was installed the car ran so cold, I was wondering what the heck was going on. Turns out the PO put in a 75C degree thermoswitch, so I put a stock 95 in which now gets the engine to operating temps as long as its not moving. Driving, its still too cold so I suspect that a low temp tstat was also installed, which I'll now have to replace with an 80C one. This is what typically happens when the fan's first speed fails. Owners don't notice, so they start installing low temp tstats/switches trying to cure the symptom instead of solving the problem.