George Lee

2.0 16v Corrado

So after owning a corrado 2 years ago and regret selling it, I wanted another one so I managed to get hold of this back in a rado ! Needs a little work body wise but overall good little on the road project to keep me busy

03a6407e8ea5704161543ad16147a5a3.jpg

Corrado waiting to be picked up

0c5033e4e5321c3c906f85f08d60645e.jpg

2 hours later she arrived

120a077235aae53c929b5796eb22f286.jpg4b3097856decd479eafe86e498ed429c.jpgcd366be7a4c14ebebca48124c9fa3e86.jpg

130,000 miles. Going to give her a good clean under the hood with a service aswell. Few little dents to sort out, and a little rust on bottom of passenger wing. Want to give her some lows but tempted to keep the estorils for now as they have been refurbished.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Looks great. Enjoy the fix and be prepared for the lower wing rust to have gone through to the body. All repairable but disheartening.

The Estorils always look good IMO .

Enjoy sorting her and I hope you give her a name

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Someyone has done a repair with fibre glass in the past so I'm hoping that's prevented it getting even worse 🤞 little bubbling here and there but nothing major. Ideally would like to get her all re-sprayed in the future but for now I'll do it myself and get it to a better standard. As for the name it would have to be Jess due to the number plate

Havnt done much since getting the car as it's stored at my nans for now. But I've bought all new discs and pads and service parts with eurocarparts big January discount. Also noticed the abs light is on so I'm going to plug it in on Wednesday to see what the fault is, hopefully it's will be something easy. Will start getting pictures when I start working on it properly

Parts from eurocarparts ready to put on soon once I've sorted the abs light

680d0531ba638b035cab3e72be76781d.jpg

Got a couple more pictures in the light

1bad321d903a3e24e07193ff143d18c4.jpg

4e82fc004c727eaec36b8b4fc76e0eca.jpg

09702d8062f550fda2a0d3f5107da82a.jpg

Few dints in the bonnet and paintwork to sort out but that can be done after it's mechanically sorted

f78dbecc6548418e54c35c4378ac1275.jpg

4abb1904fcd48b44455bc8baa32f213c.jpg

2f9f71d63bb72fe4949638ce4934be47.jpg

So tonight I tried to be what was wrong with the abs as the lights on and it a a good starting point seeing as I have the brakes to do. So I ordered myself an adaptor

cc5501ad287817057d449d702cd11041.jpg

But she tried to read the ecu it wouldn't

59b8b64f35cc6dd866cfafac6f30b2ca.jpg

This is the scanning tool I'm using

56b088c89f8550bf09670ca31dbeb1b6.jpg

Everything connected but it was coming up saying it couldn't read ecu. I tried many different things and turning ignition on and off but still wasn't having it. Anyone had this problem before ?

The car hasn't been of the road for 2 years but the previous owner had it stored in a garage. The docs and pads are really rusty and nasty, that's why I've got new ones to put on but could this be causing an issue with them being in such a state?

Turn the ignition on with your foot on the brake pedal, can you feel it pulsing as the system does its start up checks?

If nothing then check relays and fuses behind the glovebox, if its trying then you know you have power at least.

So tonight I got the car to mine after keeping it at a family members for a few days. So now the fun begins. First job was to tackle the brakes. Putting all new brakes on, got all the front off tonight. Going to clean the carriers in work tommorow and give them a lick of paint.

3450bbc7de698671002b07b5005353ae.jpg

7061120684ab2c5d0b2949ea686c87c9.jpg

7366df76c1942555e3553def569a4b21.jpg

ee65028555d78ebcd2023e7b22260f38.jpg

Looks a good base you've got there George. What other plans have you got for the car?

Maybe the Corrado adaptor only works with certain diagnostic tools?

Nolly

Looks a good base you've got there George. What other plans have you got for the car?

Maybe the Corrado adaptor only works with certain diagnostic tools?

Nolly

Yeah it's not too bad. Mechanically it's not too bad just the abs I need to sort out. And the odd bit of bodywork but that can get sorted another time. Plans are to get the mechanics done and get it mot'd and on the road. Then sort some coilovers and wheels and do the bodywork. Plus also want to make a 2.5 stainless exhaust for it as I don't want to pay the money for one and I do welding as a job.

I have a full Milltek cat back system that I will be selling soon, it's 2" bore I think. It was on my 16v when I bought it, also there was a guy on the Corrado FB page selling a 16v tubular manifold.

If nothing then check relays and fuses behind the glovebox, if its trying then you know you have power at least.
There's nothing when I try this, I've checked the fuses and there fine, how do I go about checking the relays ?

Made good progress today, new rear discs with pads, stops a lot better now. Old ones were shot. Now all the brakes are done and checked all sensors and they all seem to be working. Also checked fuses behind the glove box and they are fine but havnt checked relays. How do I go about checking the relays ? I've got a feeling it might be the pump dbc67d3be025b85d488f017004d8b71d.jpg4164b3c3c02844d5239838d2e485cdd5.jpg207b7fb70809b59dc671edc2a4100181.jpg690afa48ac9d048cb891f002be1ad7cb.jpg29e80e4dfb82cb60156f01b1770d1d63.jpg

Made good progress today, new rear discs with pads, stops a lot better now. Old ones were shot. Now all the brakes are done and checked all sensors and they all seem to be working. Also checked fuses behind the glove box and they are fine but havnt checked relays. How do I go about checking the relays ? I've got a feeling it might be the pump

Have a search on the net for Wheeler Dealers Corrado, they had one with a faulty ABS pump and had it reconditioned. I think they test the pump first before stripping them, so may not cost too much depending on whats wrong.

Made good progress today, new rear discs with pads, stops a lot better now. Old ones were shot. Now all the brakes are done and checked all sensors and they all seem to be working. Also checked fuses behind the glove box and they are fine but havnt checked relays. How do I go about checking the relays ? I've got a feeling it might be the pump

Have a search on the net for Wheeler Dealers Corrado, they had one with a faulty ABS pump and had it reconditioned. I think they test the pump first before stripping them, so may not cost too much depending on whats wrong.

Yeah I did watch that the other night. It may not be but I've got a feeling. Trying to find someone with vagcom near me to get it scanned

Stick with it, it can be a lot worst, trust me.

Where do you live?

Managed to find someone with vagcom so will hopefully have it scanned tommorow

Did you manage to get the car scanned George?

Hopefully its just an ABS sensor and a cheap fix!

Did you manage to get the car scanned George?

Hopefully its just an ABS sensor and a cheap fix!

I did yes, got it all plugged in but it only read engine ecu. Lambor sensor needs changing. So we started looking into why it wouldn't read the abs. First we checked the fuses and relays behind the glove box. There's power to the fuses and there fine. Number 79 is power to ecu which clicks when ignition is turned on. 179 is power to pump which doesn't click. Not sure weather relay is broke or whether it doesn't click untill the car is over 15 mph when the pump kicks in ?

Next we checked the abs module is in good order. Managed to take it out and there is sign of water damage. Screwed the side panel off and half the board is covered in white dry powder as if water had been lying in there, and a few connections on the board where black and look burnt. Will have to get a picture of it tommorow to see what people think.

So the conclusion we came to was the module is buggered so that's why we couldn't read the faults

Makes sense, They're prone to water damage. Water gathers on the scuttle, passes down fan cowling and into that area which kills the ABS ECU.

Sounds like the standard mode of failure for the ABS pump units. Dirt and moisture get sucked in and damage the PCB connections. You might be able to get the board repaired or else you will be looking at a second hand or refurbished unit. Is the ABS unit on the 16v the same as on the VR? If it's not it might be more common, so cheaper.