Lucassayers7

Super loud popping/clunking from front passenger wheel area

Almost have everything fixed on my 90 TDI corrado but any crack or uneven pavement makes pops or knocking sounds coming from the wheel area of the passenger side it started a while back quietly and passengers didn't really hear it now i feel it in feet sounded so loud on the way home tonight just rapidly popping.

Thought it was my ball joint so swapped that last week(fixed my steering above 60mph) but still the popping remained. Also Ordered r32 bushings rear and stock front bushings don't think its that but i'll upgrade it.

I am lowered on what i was told were H&R coilovers and thats what a part number said when i looked it up but they look like cheap ebay coils. i do have a gap from the strut mount top thing. with the car jacked up i can move the tire up a bit and watch the whole top mount go up past the car slightly and push the top of the tire in and the strut goes in slightly as well is this the strut mount going or do i need new struts? Don't know if i should be driving it sounds so bad.

You will feel far more especially with a lowered car, but I'd also replace the top mounts and top mount bearings if I were you. There should be a bit of a gap between the turret and top mound top plate, but it shouldn't wobble about with pressure on it. They're obsolete unfortunately, but get the best you can afford (Lemforder are recommended) as with lowered suspension they will break down quicker. Wheel size and type profile will also have a hand in what you're experiencing so if you have anything over 16" and 45 profile wheels, it will make a very noticeable difference in feel and weight of steering

Also if you've not already done so, check the ARB drop links.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

I will order a new set the old ones, the rubber that sandwiches the LCA are crushed flatter in spots. Im really hoping its just the top mounts and not the coilover when i bought the car it was slammed so hard raised it up 10 turns on the perch which is pretty close to the top of the strut body hoping it wasn't too much height.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/heavy-duty-upper-strut-mount-kit/357412331amy-kt/?gclid=CjwKCAiAtdDTBRArEiwAPT4y-043AGgMTY3v6dG-tcilIu9228h7oWp7khyrP6wyp8UwRleYkVKpTBoC6XQQAvD_BwE

Thinking about getting these HD vr6 bearing, bushing, and nut.

pulled the strut out and the spring seat does not rest on the bearing but the spring seat is 45mm 1.77 inches floating a 1/4 inch bellow the bearing pushed against the metal for the g60 bushing. the bearing also can be pulled in and out slightly. i dont have problems when turning only over small bumps this cant be where the noise is coming from could it or is it a bad strut if push the top of the strut while out of the car while holding the strut body it moves slightly back and forth but not side to side.

Will a vr6 bearing seat on top of the 45mm spring seat and will the g60 top hat fit on top of the vr6 bushing?

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by Lucassayers7

Are you in the US then?

You could replace the bump stops if they look ropey, but you shouldn't need to replace the spring seats if they're in decent condition and the springs are sat in them properly.

You could swap the struts side to side to see if the noise moves too?